Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems it’s more in Will’s character to knuckle down & try to earn his spot back, rather than throw his toys out of the cot & ask for a trade.
I think if he does move in the off-season, it will be because we are shopping him around - very possible if we are planning on drafting a mid with our first pick.
I hope he brains them in the VFL for the next few weeks & earns a recall to the seniors & a new contract.

Because the position he is best suited to he is behind other players.

If he’s not able to get into his position of choice as an inside mid then he needs to be versatile enough to be a better option on a wing then Stephens for example which he just isn’t as things stand.

Has it even been tried??

Goddamn.

We’ve got Pink playing forward.

But I ask- why is Will the one who has to prove versatility when we’ve got one-way running one-dimensional softies who murder the ball that get a game without question?

There’s always room for a shinboner like Will. Always.
Did you watch him on the weekend? 12 disposals, fumbling and offers nothing on the spread. Where do you think he should play? If he gets another contract he needs to work harder than anyone and attempt to find somewhere on the ground where he can contribute while resting.

Even if we shift the magnets. This idea that “there’s no spot for him” because of one particular spot is bogus. Weve accepted so much mediocrity and disinterest elsewhere - we need to reward guys who want to be with us. I saw his game against Gold Coast first hand. He’s tough as they come.
This
And plus if we need he can rest forward

Because the position he is best suited to he is behind other players.

If he’s not able to get into his position of choice as an inside mid then he needs to be versatile enough to be a better option on a wing then Stephens for example which he just isn’t as things stand.
Understand that I am sure going on a flank and pinch hitting in the middle during games is possible. Said it earlier great to have this problem fitting everyone in.

Did you watch him on the weekend? 12 disposals, fumbling and offers nothing on the spread. Where do you think he should play? If he gets another contract he needs to work harder than anyone and attempt to find somewhere on the ground where he can contribute while resting.

I don’t give a f___ about 12 disposals, he was at the bottom of packs and didn’t shirk one contest. We reward that if we’re serious.

That’s all well and good but one will be a recruiter soon the other should be in our team the next decade

I’d rather get games into the one with a long term future at our club and give him more time to gel with our mids
It's highly unlikely Will will ever be in our best midfield group, he's currently our 6th best midfielder and with Duursma playing mid-forward in the vfl and the possibility we select another mid in the draft he's just going to fall further down the ranks. I still think he has a future at the club, but not as a mid. He should spend the rest of the year and pre-season building versatility, I think he'd be a good half forward with his excellent kicking, toughness, and footy iq. Dylan Moore is a player he should model himself off

But I ask- why is Will the one who has to prove versatility when we’ve got one-way running one-dimensional softies who murder the ball that get a game without question?

There’s always room for a shinboner like Will. Always.
Because Will can only play midfield, and he doesn't do that to AFL standard. If Will plays it takes midfield time off Harry, George or Jy. Why would we do that for any fringe player?

Has it even been tried??

Goddamn.

We’ve got Pink playing forward.
Who makes way in the forward line to fit him in?

Pink playing forward fixed us up structurally. Playing WilPhil forward is forcing magnets around to try and accomodate fitting him into the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His athletic profile and tank limit where he can play. He can fix his tank with hard work.
Because Will can only play midfield, and he doesn't do that to AFL standard. If Will plays it takes midfield time off Harry, George or Jy. Why would we do that for any fringe player?

It’s a myth that he can only play midfield. What else have we ever tried?

Who makes way in the forward line to fit him in?

Pink playing forward fixed us up structurally. Playing WilPhil forward is forcing magnets around to try and accomodate fitting him into the side.

I’d have Greenwood ahead of Pink but that’s another story.

I don’t give a f___ about 12 disposals, he was at the bottom of packs and didn’t shirk one contest. We reward that if we’re serious.

There would be 1000 amo footballers that can give you that. It is admirable but you want the other pieces. The same as someone like Stephens, great to have the run and kicking skills but if you can’t get it enough and you don’t provide anything the other way, you’re out of here.

Will has more than just hardness, but we have a few one position mids right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Even if we shift the magnets. This idea that “there’s no spot for him” because of one particular spot is bogus. Weve accepted so much mediocrity and disinterest elsewhere - we need to reward guys who want to be with us. I saw his game against Gold Coast first hand. He’s tough as they come.
If being tough was the most important attribute for a player Kayne Turner would be an AA small forward

It's highly unlikely Will will ever be in our best midfield group, he's currently our 6th best midfielder and with Duursma playing mid-forward in the vfl and the possibility we select another mid in the draft he's just going to fall further down the ranks. I still think he has a future at the club, but not as a mid. He should spend the rest of the year and pre-season building versatility, I think he'd be a good half forward with his excellent kicking, toughness, and footy iq. Dylan Moore is a player he should model himself off
100% this. Rhylee West also comes to mind. Tried for many years to break into a midfield that had superior talent, and now has found a really good role in the forward line.

It’s a myth that he can only play midfield. What else have we ever tried?
His lack of pace and tank would be the reason why. I agree, if he gets another contract he needs to make half forward or wing a place he can play. He needs to build an AFL level tank first and that's up to Will to get done in the off season.

Last edited:
I think Will is under unfair amounts of pressure especially given the time and space gifted to others to find their feet at the level, especially considering the false starts he had in his career. I’d love to see him get a prolonged run at it and have people believe in him.

It’s frustrating that as soon as it starts to happen he’s out again.

I think Will is under unfair amounts of pressure especially given the time and space gifted to others to find their feet at the level, especially considering the false starts he had in his career. I’d love to see him get a prolonged run at it and have people believe in him.

It’s frustrating that as soon as it starts to happen he’s out again.
He just played four games in a row in a role they devised specifically for him to get game time. There's no great conspiracy against Will at North. He'd be very aware of what he needs to fix.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back