Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a myth that he can only play midfield. What else have we ever tried?
Will played half forward quite a bit in his first season. He wasn't any good at it. If his lack of versatility is myth, tell me where else he has shown ability.

Will tries but he just isn't good enough. I don't mind keeping him as back up, but he isn't a player you can build around.

He just played four games in a row in a role they devised specifically for him to get game time. There's no great conspiracy against Will at North. He'd be very aware of what he needs to fix.
The simplest explanations are usually correct.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

But with LDU, Wardlaw, Sheez, Jy, Powell all ahead of him there is no midfield time available for him.

As much as he bleeds blue and white he hasn’t shown enough versatility to play anywhere outside of an inside mid role.
This is right imo. Will is rated a useful squad player atm (eg retained as an emergency).

I think Will is under unfair amounts of pressure especially given the time and space gifted to others to find their feet at the level, especially considering the false starts he had in his career. I’d love to see him get a prolonged run at it and have people believe in him.

It’s frustrating that as soon as it starts to happen he’s out again.

His big run was last year and Powell was downgraded to flanks. Unless you are Harry or George, a lot of players go through this in and out phase.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need go develop his tank

Maybe he would have come in for Shiels

Agree. Needs a big pre-season to be able to run out games.

The fact he was subbed out against Daicos defeats the purpose of being a tagger if you don’t have the tank to go with them? Was too small to tag Bont, not fit enough to go with Daicos for 4 quarters, not quick enough to go with Warner…

I still would persist with him as an inside mid purely as backup for Powell, Wardlaw, Simpkin, but something would have to drastically change for him to cement a best 22 spot.

Competition for spots is healthy and we would lose too much in a trade, so best to retain and most importantly, seems to be a good character.

With 44 on your list, not everyone is best 22, doesn’t necessarily mean they need to be offloaded. Personally hope he re-signs, has a massive pre-season, dominates the VFL with clearance and contested possession numbers and puts serious pressure on the starting midfield.

Would also help any new mids (FoS, Smillie, Lalor) that come in next year to find their feet in the VFL with Phillips and Lazzaro beside them?

I wonder what the rhetoric would be if Lazzaro had 13 & 12 touches playing predominantly midfield in the 1s. He’d get caned around these parts and destined to never playing again. Cant just give a bloke games at the expense of team structure because of where he was picked.
Did you miss the whole "but he had a good pre season!" stuff?

Not here to argue with you legendary North supporters. We’ll continue to agree/disagree and have robust debates around what’s right or wrong for our club.

My first ever game in Melbourne was amazing and, besides the WIN, Sheezel, Scott, X and LDU… the two players who impressed me the most when I watched them first hand was Lmac and…. Will Phillips.

Both are undisputed shinboners, one of them is our captain, the other can’t find a way in.

Lmac has had his share of detractors but earned that #11 on Saturday. Will was equally impressive. I’m sorry, I’m a bit bullish on this, but I saw a lot to work with on Saturday and I just like the dude. Same as I liked Daniel Harris, Troy Makepeace, Levi Greenwood, Trent Dumont etc etc. I just like the way he goes about it.

The frustration is that we’ve regularly fielded other players who don’t show anywhere near the heart this guy does. I get team balance but geez, there are some non-negotiables that others get a free ride without showing, whereas others have to earn every scrap.

Anyway go Roos, none of this is personal ✌🏼

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he has the capability to go past Jy at some point. He already surpasses him in some areas such as decision making and disposal. He’s only 22, I’d still like to give him another couple of years. Even next year he’s worth being on the list to drive competition for spots and as injury cover. Laz is a better runner and better accumulator but i think on balance Phillips is the better footballer and if we had to choose, I’d keep Phillips

It seems it’s more in Will’s character to knuckle down & try to earn his spot back, rather than throw his toys out of the cot & ask for a trade.
I think if he does move in the off-season, it will be because we are shopping him around - very possible if we are planning on drafting a mid with our first pick.
I hope he brains them in the VFL for the next few weeks & earns a recall to the seniors & a new contract.

I don't think him asking for a trade would be throwing toys out of the cot. He's got to make a career and he's not in the first four picked in his position. It happens and I'm sure there would be no hard feelings.

I don't think him asking for a trade would be throwing toys out of the cot. He's got to make a career and he's not in the first four picked in his position. It happens and I'm sure there would be no hard feelings.
Which Melbourne based club do you think Phillips would make top four as inside mid? Tigers? Geelong? Any others?

Agree. Needs a big pre-season to be able to run out games.

The fact he was subbed out against Daicos defeats the purpose of being a tagger if you don’t have the tank to go with them? Was too small to tag Bont, not fit enough to go with Daicos for 4 quarters, not quick enough to go with Warner…

I still would persist with him as an inside mid purely as backup for Powell, Wardlaw, Simpkin, but something would have to drastically change for him to cement a best 22 spot.

Competition for spots is healthy and we would lose too much in a trade, so best to retain and most importantly, seems to be a good character.

With 44 on your list, not everyone is best 22, doesn’t necessarily mean they need to be offloaded. Personally hope he re-signs, has a massive pre-season, dominates the VFL with clearance and contested possession numbers and puts serious pressure on the starting midfield.

Would also help any new mids (FoS, Smillie, Lalor) that come in next year to find their feet in the VFL with Phillips and Lazzaro beside them?

A good post. My only quibble would be retaining Phillips and Lazaro - list spots are going to be tight, and it may be one or the other

I think he has the capability to go past Jy at some point. He already surpasses him in some areas such as decision making and disposal. He’s only 22, I’d still like to give him another couple of years. Even next year he’s worth being on the list to drive competition for spots and as injury cover. Laz is a better runner and better accumulator but i think on balance Phillips is the better footballer and if we had to choose, I’d keep Phillips

He could, Jy is just an all round competitor but might struggle when the guns hit their early 20’s.

LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel and Colby will be the elite 4, hopefully we have one really good HF PT mid option and then that may leave only one other FT mid role

Get a grip. Jy is our captain and has earned two Syds. So far Will has ....................

Curtis Taylor's blistering quarter of **** all must've impressed the selectors more than Will's 4 quarters of effort. Harsh call.

Curtis Taylor's blistering quarter of **** all must've impressed the selectors more than Will's 4 quarters of effort. Harsh call.
Do they play the same role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back