Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't give him away cheaply, there's something there. It's not absolute cut throat for list spots at this stage.

He's got the smarts around the contest and vision by hand, just gotta hope he can tidy up his kicking and increase his tank.

If we were offered a 2nd rounder for him would you take it?

This wasn't as bad as some people made out. He was chased down by Geelong's fastest player, and still managed to get the kick off.

Man you can't be that small and slow and have a decent AFL career, if we draft another mid he's cooked, If George gets fit, Phillips is cooked, if Goater gets fit Phillips is cooked. McKercher is the perfect modern day running machine, he comes back Phillps is cooked.

oh and Phillips is cooked :p

Thanks for posting it though, it doesn't look flash at all.

Whether we keep Will Phill or not will have zero bearing on our future.
We are still miles off it. We are no better than last year if we are serious about analysing where we are at. This game is all about wins and losses.
Worrying about whether we keep Will Phil or not is like Anabel Chong worrying if she parked illegally on the day she broke the record.

Season 9 Episode 13 GIF by The Simpsons

He's not at the level right now. Needs a massive pre-season to have any chance or others will go ahead of him.
Doesn't kick the ball with any level of confidence. No real zip or workrate to get from contest to contest.
I'm open to him staying on the list or using him to upgrade our picks in some fashion.
But at this point I wouldn't consider him best 22 with any certainty, he's more depth in the squad of 30 right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This wasn't as bad as some people made out. He was chased down by Geelong's fastest player, and still managed to get the kick off.

I'd like Phillips to come on as much as the next poster, but let's be frank here - Will misses his kick because he was too slow

I'd like Phillips to come on as much as the next poster, but let's be frank here - Will misses his kick because he was too slow
Exactly, he put himself under pressure.

I'm close to putting the fork in him. I think nearly all of us would have by now if he didn't happen to be a pick 3. Would there be this weird obsession over him if he was pick 40? Just about everyone and their dog on this board would probably by screaming at clarko for ever picking him.

Love the guy, but I just don't see it. He is a well below average footballer as it stands, and the upside is pretty bleak.

I'm close to putting the fork in him. I think nearly all of us would have by now if he didn't happen to be a pick 3. Would there be this weird obsession over him if he was pick 40? Just about everyone and their dog on this board would probably by screaming at clarko for ever picking him.

Love the guy, but I just don't see it. He is a well below average footballer as it stands, and the upside is pretty bleak.
My recollection is that, coming up to his draft, he was fit enough to get to contest after contest and regularly win contested ball. If he can't get to that same level of fitness and ground coverage speed, given his other limitations, his future as an AFL player isn't promising.

Tagged Dangerfield all game -

Will: 20 disposals, 5 tackles, 4 i50
Danger: 12 disposals, and barely was sighted

Idk he did his role against a player that is double his size?
Are you sure Will tagged Danger all game. I thought he was ok but didn’t actually think he was tagging anyone let alone Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back