Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to * will actually ruin his career.

And I’m not saying this because I don’t like *, it’s just a weird fit for him.
Yea has there every been any player in the history of the AFL that goes to Essendon and actually turns into a noticeably better player than before moving there?

It goes without saying, the only person who can shift the dial on this clusterf**k is Will.
Lmao I actually think he’s shown enough to be offered two years with a trigger for 3.

Hell, we even threw Brayden George two years and he hasn’t even played a game with us, or even remain on the park in the magoos.

Interesting thought process, I might add to my duffle coat #73, which of course is the drafting position used on Larkey.

And yell from the bleachers good job pick #72 (Xerri)

I don't think those that have concerns for Will's future with North are concerning themselves with the drfat number he was taken. It isn't relevant or shouldn't be.

And if it is, why stop there. Maybe's, could ave's, should ave's if only. Our team could look like this.

Balta instead of Wil Walker
Schultz instead of Taylor
Cripps instead of mcDonald
Miller instead of Durdin
Dale instead of Nielson
Battle instead of Watson
Darcy instead of Wiliams.
I'm stopping now, the above is depressing lol.
200.gif

Oh god. That is depressing reading.

Lmao I actually think he’s shown enough to be offered two years with a trigger for 3.

Hell, we even threw Brayden George two years and he hasn’t even played a game with us, or even remain on the park in the magoos.
I think we have to be objective about this. I'm a 'wifi' guy too, but he's also been on the list for four years. Sure, he's had chronic illness, and allowances need to be made.

On the other hand, what game has he played where he's put a stamp on it, and said to the competition, here I am?

Not many, if at all.

The comparison with Braydon George is not relevant IMO - Braydon will be on absolute base money, and with his rehab, he's essentially on a one year deal (2026)

For Phillips, a one year offer with a trigger for two is reasonable (and indeed, prudent) from North - if he can do better, fair enough, we part on good terms

I think we have to be objective about this. I'm a 'wifi' guy too, but he's also been on the list for four years. Sure, he's had chronic illness, and allowances need to be made.

On the other hand, what game has he played where he's put a stamp on it, and said to the competition, here I am?

Not many, if at all.

The comparison with Braydon George is not relevant IMO - Braydon will be on absolute base money, and with his rehab, he's essentially on a one year deal (2026)

For Phillips, a one year offer with a trigger for two is reasonable (and indeed, prudent) from North - if he can do better, fair enough, we part on good terms
Summation is spot on, probably has been offered a deal on base salary and putting the feelers out to either come back with a counter or finds out there maybe more fruit on a tree elsewhere

Just spoke to a guy who’s heavily involved with the *scum AFL men and gives me property advice on the side.

When I quizzed him about the WillPhil rumours, he took a quick glance over each shoulder (to make sure no one was listening I assume) and spoke quietly out of the left corner of his mouth and said..

“Straight swap for Magoo.. take it to the bank..”

Make of that what you will..

Oohh, you basing that on no evidence other than your own subjective biased opinion?
There is no ****ing chance on this planet we let a will phillips walk. It’ll be a 2 year deal. You think we are rolling in midfield depth? Oh yeh, Lazzaro 😂 FMD campaigner. Thats at the bare minimum, you would have to live on another planet to think he isnt offered a 1 year deal

I would’ve thought WP showing he can run with and nullify some of the best mids in the game whilst also executing clean disposal (our two senior captains would only dream of having his disposal efficiency) - deserves him a couple of years. We can’t have every single one of our midfielders getting 30+ every week. Who puts the blocks on for LDU and Sheez?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no ****ing chance on this planet we let a will phillips walk. It’ll be a 2 year deal. You think we are rolling in midfield depth? Oh yeh, Lazzaro 😂 FMD campaigner. Thats at the bare minimum, you would have to live on another planet to think he isnt offered a 1 year deal

Man I'm a fan of yours, I worry for your mental state when the axe swings in a month or so.

He's more likely as of now to be cut than retained.

Man I'm a fan of yours, I worry for your mental state when the axe swings in a month or so.

He's more likely as of now to be cut than retained.
I know and im a fan of yours 99% of the time. Sometimes you dont get it right and sometimes I dont. There is no way we are delisting 8 blokes. He will survive the cut and prove yas wrong. There is a little engine that could in that player.

The only way he doesn’t survive is if we bring in 2 x ready made midfielders. Cant see that happening.

We are not littered with depth in the midfield, based solely on that argument he survives.

I would’ve thought WP showing he can run with and nullify some of the best mids in the game whilst also executing clean disposal (our two senior captains would only dream of having his disposal efficiency) - deserves him a couple of years. We can’t have every single one of our midfielders getting 30+ every week. Who puts the blocks on for LDU and Sheez?
Ran with Daicos did he? Lol.

I know and im a fan of yours 99% of the time. Sometimes you dont get it right and sometimes I dont. There is no way we are delisting 8 blokes. He will survive the cut and prove yas wrong. There is a little engine that could in that player.

The only way he doesn’t survive is if we bring in 2 x ready made midfielders. Cant see that happening.

We are not littered with depth in the midfield, based solely on that argument he survives.

Man we are in the upper echelon of posters of that we can both agree :p
Now after a couple of recent chats, I think we may swing like Gary Gilmour at a long hop outside off stump.

Mr. Walker's playing havoc with the bats
Redpath – it's good to see ya back
Lairdy's makin' runs
And Dougy's chewin' gum
And Gilmour's wielding willow like an axe

Man we are in the upper echelon of posters of that we can both agree :p
Now after a couple of recent chats, I think we may swing like Gary Gilmour at a long hop outside off stump.

Mr. Walker's playing havoc with the bats
Redpath – it's good to see ya back
Lairdy's makin' runs
And Dougy's chewin' gum
And Gilmour's wielding willow like an axe
And it wouldn't be the same without the shout of Lillies name. You are making be feel old tao ha ha.

Not many, if at all.

Yep, and comparisons with Braydon George are really inappropriate. We gave "Sausage" two years because a one-year deal is pointless, we don't have salary cap concerns and we can afford to carry someone on the LTI list next year (as he doesn't take a list spot). But mostly because Sausage is well-liked within the 4 walls, and the decision to stick by him adds to the improving sense of workplace satisfaction at the club, which is a real thing and is essential to attract assistant coaches, performance staff, free agents and trades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back