Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year was his third year and the second year he played. His stats are very similar to Cunners third year. He had a streak in the middle of last year where he averaged over 20, had over 10 contested every game and averaged over five clearances and three or four tackles a game. That was around 20-30 games into his career.

He's gone backwards a bit this year but so did Powell after an equivalent period of games. He looks like he lacks energy this year. Has moments where he shows what he had in his first year and highlights but struggles. i think he;'s still getting healthy after his illness issues. A few of us have seen mates with glandular fever really struggle for years afterward and I think is the case with him.

He's definitely not shithouse but he is struggling this season and the midfield is stacked. I'd give him two years anyway because even if he ends up behind everyone else he'll still be good enough to get a half decent trade.
plus, you know, we don't want it to happen but injuries do happen. even a knock at training. that doesn't mean he is ONLY depth, he still attempts to get better in the 2's and take opportunities as they come. Like say if one of our young stacked midfield also needs a run in the 2's for form or injury recovery.

Absolutely missing his defensive work around the stoppage today.

Was a silly decision to drop him against the best midfield in the AFL.

Insane having no defensive structure - Powell, Simpkin, Wardlaw, LDU, Sheezel at stoppages against a high octane oppo - too high risk.

Something in the balance when he’s be in there that’s kept us competitive -
Same last year when he had his good patch.

“No one tags anymore bro”

Hayden Young and Windhager helped their sides beat this mob and we decide we’re good enough to go head to head.

Brain dead decision.

Crazy to let Warner run around on his own.
Absolutely stupid.
Freo and Saints ran the tag and got the win.
And we’re getting belted by 7 goals at half time.
I can tell you they gave thought to Scott doing it or Simpkin, the clubs collective decision was that Wil couldn't have done it.

Hence why he didn't get the opportunity to do so. Those at club land are a lot closer to knowing a players capabilities than we mug punters are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can tell you they gave thought to Scott doing it or Simpkin, the clubs collective decision was that Wil couldn't have done it.

Hence why he didn't get the opportunity to do so. Those at club land are a lot closer to knowing a players capabilities than we mug punters are.
yes, today was a clear correct decision on all accounts...

Shiels had 5 disposals and subbed out
Playing him at that tagging role instead of Will was a awful decision

I'm sure the club knows where we are at, and what we need to do to continue to improve.
I'm sure they have a collective idea, individual ideas based on expertise and runs on the board. Today we were soundly beaten on all fronts. So today's ideas were largely if not totally incorrect. And that doesn't mean they'll be incorrect every week, we played the top team today and we're a bottom 4 team. May work against lesser teams. But given the past month compared to today, there's ample room for argument that Will could have improved the team.

When we've got someone defensively accountable in Phillips, you know what that does? It releases LDU. It frees up our midfield.

We lost this in the midfield. On a ground that relies on defensive pressure in the middle, we chose the worst time to go 1v1.

Not everyone can be two way runners. This is why guys like Phillips are so crucial.

Play him or Shiels. Call it.

Lazzaro would have had more chance than Phillips of keeping up with Warner. It’s hardly rocket science.

When we've got someone defensively accountable in Phillips, you know what that does? It releases LDU. It frees up our midfield.

We lost this in the midfield. On a ground that relies on defensive pressure in the middle, we chose the worst time to go 1v1.

Not everyone can be two way runners. This is why guys like Phillips are so crucial.

Play him or Shiels. Call it.

Are you saying Philips is a 2 way runner? We only have 1 defensive minded mid and that is Wardlaw. We need to add another quick defensive minded mid in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We only have 1 defensive minded mid and that is Wardlaw.

Look I love Wardlaw but I don't think he's a particularly defensive minded midfielder. And if he is, then he was pox today with only 4 tackles.

These arguments to try and keep Will Phillips out of the squad are getting ridiculous.

Indisputable fact is that the last month of footy prior today was the best our gameplan and structure has looked all season (hell, for the last 3~ seasons) and a big part of that was having Will Phillips in the team as a run-with player.

Changing that structure today was undeniably silly and we got pantsed because of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back