Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Listed as an emergency.. is there a chance of mind games here?

He's improved a lot and it really doesn't seem to make a lot of sense? I wouldn't put money on a "bait and switch" but Clarko might be starting to turn on the old charm..

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm getting the feeling that Phillips getting games at the end of the year and getting good results as a tagger could be a trade value add tactic.

LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Powell, Sheezel, McKercher + potentially FOS or Smilie...

As tough as it is, he is 6th and soon to be 7th for selection in the guts.

Jy doesn't play that much in the middle any longer. Sheezel will spend time forward.

Looking from the outside, it is impossible to know exactly how his development is being managed. But whatever the plans are, I am sure he and the coaching team have great communication and he is well aware of where he is and what is required of him.

Some of the suggestions about the writing being on the wall for him or him potentially choosing to leave at the end of the year, on the basis of being dropped to the VFL this week or at other times this year, to me seem incredibly unlikely. I'm not saying I think he is a definite to stay (although I hope he does) but it certainly wouldn't be because of some disillusionment over being dropped unfairly and without explanation. Just because we don't get a detailed reasoning behind every selection doesn't mean within the club there isn't good internal communication.

A few weeks ago, the sky was falling in and Clarko had lost the plot, when he subbed Phillips off against the Pies, then it became apparent that he was tiring badly and WP had actually told Clarko himself he was out of gas.

I am only guessing, but to me, I think this latest return to the VFL is more likely part of a longer term plan for his development and it may well have been planned in advance. He has had a uniquely disjointed start to his footy career. Being one of class of 2020 Victorian juniors, who missed their final year of U18 footy was bad enough, then you add the glandular fever in his early senior years.

There are obvious flaws to his game and fitness that need to be developed. I would think Clarko and the coach team, see this best being addressed with a combination of VFL and AFL football. VFL to work on specific areas, try new things and learn in a lower standard, less pressured environment. Then AFL to see how he is progressing and for him to experience the standard of footy he needs to reach for and be able to consistently produce.

I think is far more likely that this return to VFL, is nothing to do with picking Stephens or Taylor over him, but more likely something that was planned earlier and after this latest run of four AFL games, considered the best move for his development.

I think you are spot on with a few things here and for every post calling for WilPhil to be tried in a different role, you have to appreciate that this must involve VFL games to do that. We have gone to the expense of running our own VFL team for the express purpose of being able to play with the same game style and structures so that developing players can learn to play their intended AFL role in the VFL. And so once again, if he doesn't get 40 possessions this week in the VFL, that's not the end of the world as no-one expects him to hunt the ball and get 40 touches in the AFL. Wherever he plays in the VFL will give the strongest indication of where we hope to use him in the AFL.

Every NM fan wants every NM player to succeed. If you don't, you're an idiot.

But I've said it 1000 times on here, there's no doubt Will Phillips can play decent football. The problem is, our obsessive drafting of short mids means he is competing against Wardlaw, Simpkin & McKercher for a role in the midfield. We can't play 4 guys in the midfield 6ft or under. Can we? Even playing 3 is a stretch. And then throw in Powell, Tucker & D Stephens who aren't overly tall. That's already 6 players (1/3 of our team) that give us nothing overhead. Big Bodied mids are critical to September success.
If Will Phil had explosive speed, he could possibly dislodge a mid.

You could argue Will Phil should be playing ahead of Dylan Stephens, but the problem/reality is, Stephens is in year one of a 4 year deal. D Stephens will be given much more opportunity than a guy like Will Phil who is out of contract at years end.

NMFC has had a fetish for the last decade to give recruits from other clubs a very very long leash to prove themselves - CCJ, J Stephenson, Tommy Campbell, Dom Tyson......I could go on.

The chances of Will Phil being at Arden St next season are slim at best. Mainly because of our list profile.

Every NM fan wants every NM player to succeed. If you don't, you're an idiot.

But I've said it 1000 times on here, there's no doubt Will Phillips can play decent football. The problem is, our obsessive drafting of short mids means he is competing against Wardlaw, Simpkin & McKercher for a role in the midfield. We can't play 4 guys in the midfield 6ft or under. Can we? Even playing 3 is a stretch. And then throw in Powell, Tucker & D Stephens who aren't overly tall. That's already 6 players (1/3 of our team) that give us nothing overhead. Big Bodied mids are critical to September success.
If Will Phil had explosive speed, he could possibly dislodge a mid.

You could argue Will Phil should be playing ahead of Dylan Stephens, but the problem/reality is, Stephens is in year one of a 4 year deal. D Stephens will be given much more opportunity than a guy like Will Phil who is out of contract at years end.

NMFC has had a fetish for the last decade to give recruits from other clubs a very very long leash to prove themselves - CCJ, J Stephenson, Tommy Campbell, Dom Tyson......I could go on.

The chances of Will Phil being at Arden St next season are slim at best. Mainly because of our list profile.
A very good post. I still say that Stephens shouldn't be playing this week ahead of Phillips, given the amount of players we're going to have to cover, but overall a pretty good summation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're clutching at straws here with some of the theories.

Simple fact is Phillips is in likelihood just not as good as we all wished he was.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Every games he plays gets closer to confirming your second sentence.

Maybe. Will need two more years to be able to run with the best. He's tagged for four games, including VFL and has proven he's not up to it yet.

Not sure that's completely true.

Against Collingwood he kept Daicos to 14 possessions over 3/4 against a season average of 31. Daicos did have a big Q4 after Will went off and Sheils couldn't go with him.

Against Melbourne he kept Oliver to 14 versus a season average of 24.

Against the Bulldogs he kept Treloar to 22 versus a season average of 32.

Seemed to spend time on a few different players against the Gold Coast, including Rowell.

He's done some pretty sold tagging jobs so far.

Jy should be playing forward more from next year to open up mid time for other mids

Like he was doing earlier in the year
Jy plays midfield till he gets pushed out I reckon. There's enough spots to rotate the kids who need to develop.

Yeah well the " list squeeze" is near upon us.

I thought or think he has improved and at times gets himself into good positions, where he can be offensive with his ball use.
I won't lose sleep of his contract status.

Not sure that's completely true.

Against Collingwood he kept Daicos to 14 possessions over 3/4 against a season average of 31. Daicos did have a big Q4 after Will went off and Sheils couldn't go with him.

Against Melbourne he kept Oliver to 14 versus a season average of 24.

Against the Bulldogs he kept Treloar to 22 versus a season average of 32.

Seemed to spend time on a few different players against the Gold Coast, including Rowell.

He's done some pretty sold tagging jobs so far.
Only played a half on daicos, Oliver is having his worst season since debut, treloar had 22 and 2 and isn't their best mid, none of that is outstanding and he offers nothing the other way.

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back