Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like l’m in the twilight zone, not even Wayne Carey could change today’s result let alone Phillips.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
it's not "change the days result" it's create structure that isn't completely f*cking destroyed by 80 points. We do this against richmond, we lose.

Look I love Wardlaw but I don't think he's a particularly defensive minded midfielder. And if he is, then he was pox today with only 4 tackles.

These arguments to try and keep Will Phillips out of the squad are getting ridiculous.

Indisputable fact is that the last month of footy prior today was the best our gameplan and structure has looked all season (hell, for the last 3~ seasons) and a big part of that was having Will Phillips in the team as a run-with player.

Changing that structure today was undeniably silly and we got pantsed because of it.
Only three North players and two Swans players had more tackles.

So not exactly pox.

Look I love Wardlaw but I don't think he's a particularly defensive minded midfielder. And if he is, then he was pox today with only 4 tackles.

These arguments to try and keep Will Phillips out of the squad are getting ridiculous.

Indisputable fact is that the last month of footy prior today was the best our gameplan and structure has looked all season (hell, for the last 3~ seasons) and a big part of that was having Will Phillips in the team as a run-with player.

Changing that structure today was undeniably silly and we got pantsed because of it.

Agree to disagree even though he certainly played a role throughout that period.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very focused and professional watching from the sidelines yesterday in the 2nds. Coaches would have to be impressed with his application and game yesterday. Can only keep presenting himself to the Match Committee every week.
He was dropped and had 22 as a full time mid with no tag. There was several times he was torched on the spread and didn't chase. I'm assuming you didn't watch the game?

He was dropped and had 22 as a full time mid with no tag. There was several times he was torched on the spread and didn't chase. I'm assuming you didn't watch the game?
You know the rule about assuming 😎

In any case you are a serial dark cloud over anything WillPhil does at our club. He could cure cancer and you would complain he hasn’t done it quick enough. So maybe a case of a Junk Yard crying wolf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see him run with Cerra or Walsh this week. Cripps is too tall for him and they'll send him forward.

Learn how they run and win the footy. Would be invaluable for Philli
We're not tagging. We didn't against West Coast and we didn't against Gold Coast. We got killed all around the ground by the best team in the comp. Will didn't tag in the two's, if he was a chance of playing and tagging he would've been doing it in the two's.

We're not tagging. We didn't against West Coast and we didn't against Gold Coast. We got killed all around the ground by the best team in the comp. Will didn't tag in the two's, if he was a chance of playing and tagging he would've been doing it in the two's.
It's not just tagging though.

Phillips has proven he can win his own ball and apply a defensive cover so his better teammates can find the footy. By restricting our opposition midfielders, our prime movers get more of the pill.

Look at the games where we've had stoppage and centre-clearance dominance after the bye (especially when we score). All with Phillips playing.

Phillips applies a 60/40 ratio of defensive duties and winning the ball. He knows his limitations and allows his teammates to flourish. That sort of midfielder is more invaluable than the most prolific.

He doesn't have to live up to the pick 3 price tag as it was a weak draft. He just needs to play his role as a defensive mid and the rest will take care of itself.

We can't have Wardlaw and LDU being forced to lose their offensive positioning because they have to be defensively minded. It throws the balance way off in the middle.

Phillips has proven he can win his own ball and apply a defensive cover so his better teammates can find the footy. By restricting our opposition midfielders, our prime movers get more of the pill.

Look at the games where we've had stoppage and centre-clearance dominance after the bye (especially when we score). All with Phillips playing.

Phillips applies a 60/40 ratio of defensive duties and winning the ball. He knows his limitations and allows his teammates to flourish. That sort of midfielder is more invaluable than the most prolific.

He doesn't have to live up to the pick 3 price tag as it was a weak draft. He just needs to play his role as a defensive mid and the rest will take care of itself.

We can't have Wardlaw and LDU being forced to lose their offensive positioning because they have to be defensively minded. It throws the balance way off in the middle.
Defensive mid is definitely a role but 12 disposals is not enough. A defensive mid also needs to be able to spread from the contest and defend/attack. Will's athletic profile does not allow him to do this. We aborted the tag two weeks ago, I'm fine with a defensive mid but they've got to have an elite tank.

Shiels had 5 disposals and subbed out
Playing him at that tagging role instead of Will was a awful decision
Wish the club could explain to us who Shiels was meant to be tagging.
It wasn’t Warner or Gulden that’s for sure.

When he is tagging he isn't providing defensive cover, and to be fair, he shouldn't. He is focused on his opponent. That is why the Dees and Dogs weren't too concerned with the tag, they set up to take advantage with the greater space around the clearance and let their guys go to work. That isn't on Will by the way, but it is an effect of a negative tag.

We all talk away too much about a B grade player which you need a good batch of in your team, but at the moment, we have a few B graders ahead of him.

That is why the Dees and Dogs weren't too concerned with the tag,
the Dees and dogs weren’t too concerned with the tag?

Kept Oliver in the teens for disposals and also kept Treloar in the low 20s, whilst he’s averaging over 30 each game.

If only WP tagged either Gulden or Warner and maybe we wouldn’t have lost by 80 points on the weekend.

What a stupid comment that they weren’t too concerned with the tag 🤣 taking their best players out of the game - same against Collingwood. I think they were well concerned

the Dees and dogs weren’t too concerned with the tag?

Kept Oliver in the teens for disposals and also kept Treloar in the low 20s, whilst he’s averaging over 30 each game.

If only WP tagged either Gulden or Warner and maybe we wouldn’t have lost by 80 points on the weekend.

What a stupid comment that they weren’t too concerned with the tag 🤣 taking their best players out of the game - same against Collingwood. I think they were well concerned

They both controlled the midfield, once you present a change in tactic, like as tag, clubs start to prepare for it. Both the Dogs and the Dees controlled the midfield in the games. I don't see why a better midfield in the Swans would have the same result. Against the Suns, it was when we started to loosen the tag that we improved. I just don't think it made a lot of difference.

Against the Pies, it was unexpected and worked well. Having said that, it was a unicorn of a performance from us all over the ground. It definitely disrupted them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back