Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

On Further North Josh said the word around town was that he’s been given a 2 year contract.

First I’ve heard of it & there’s nothing in this thread (although it’s hard to keep up since it’s - for some reason - the busiest thread on North BF).

I think one area we really need to look to bolster within our midfield stocks ever since JHF took flight is the petulant and selfish type who doesn't respond well under adversity, sulks, and gives away 50 metre penalties. We just don't have anything like that midfield archetype on our list. I wonder if WilPhil could develop that within his game.
He's shown glimpses.... Who could forget him looking up himself at Chaddy Foodcourt...

Jks if U read this Will!

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If only every other player on the list was held to this same level of play…..
I didn’t think asking/wanting Will to win more ball & deliver it inside 50 was all that much to ask.
Obviously the coaches may have different plans for him this week, but that is what I would like to see from him.
Unlike many of here, I’m yet to see much from Will that makes me think, yep, he is gonna be player!
I’m hoping against all hope, he can grab his opportunity with Wardlaw out & finish the year off well.

Absolute perfect opportunity for Will to show he can do what Wardlaw can do . No tag just a pure manic pressure , ball winning, distributor midfielder against a team now loaded with some potential good ex premiership players . They are still down the bottom with us …. I know we say it every week but it’s now (this weekend & next vs Wet Toast or never) …
Also a great opportunity for us to finally decide on him once & for all. (If we haven’t decided already)

Absolute perfect opportunity for Will to show he can do what Wardlaw can do . No tag just a pure manic pressure , ball winning, distributor midfielder against a team now loaded with some potential good ex premiership players . They are still down the bottom with us …. I know we say it every week but it’s now (this weekend & next vs Wet Toast or never) …
Also a great opportunity for us to finally decide on him once & for all. (If we haven’t decided already)
He has received an incredibly consistent run at gaining form as well…being flitted between roles and teams every two weeks.

Why haven’t you turned into a superstar??!

I only wish the vultures on BF could apply the same assessment matrix to all our players as they did to Will.

In saying this, the reality is that he really needs to grab this opportunity or he may be out the door.

On Further North Josh said the word around town was that he’s been given a 2 year contract.

First I’ve heard of it & there’s nothing in this thread (although it’s hard to keep up since it’s - for some reason - the busiest thread on North BF).

There was some BS Facebook post doing the rounds, I think it was posted in here too. I'm guessing it's that. Josh should probably have looked into it a bit further before spreading that info lol

Lmao they are two different players. Nobody else on our team could match Wardlaw at his best, so why is WP being held accountable in your eyes?

Sorry but this is an odd post. I find it difficult to validate selection in our senior side with auditioning for the opposition.
It was tongue in cheek.

But if another team has any interest in Will, it is a safe bet that he won't be at North next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lmao they are two different players. Nobody else on our team could match Wardlaw at his best, so why is WP being held accountable in your eyes?
Disagree. Will laid 3-4 tackles last weekend that would have made Glen Archer proud. He’s also a clearance player that can also cover George .
Let’s face it after the concussions George has not been himself & I think can more than cover him & not tag this week

Disagree. Will laid 3-4 tackles last weekend that would have made Glen Archer proud. He’s also a clearance player that can also cover George .
Let’s face it after the concussions George has not been himself & I think can more than cover him & not tag this week

Concussions?

He had 1, then copped a knock late last week.

He has received an incredibly consistent run at gaining form as well…being flitted between roles and teams every two weeks.

Why haven’t you turned into a superstar??!

I only wish the vultures on BF could apply the same assessment matrix to all our players as they did to Will.

In saying this, the reality is that he really needs to grab this opportunity or he may be out the door.
What is this assessment matrix you speak of?
All I’ve read is a few posters hoping Will can really lift his game this week after a pretty underwhelming year from him so far.
The same is said about other underperforming players in their threads, not sure why some on here get so defensive when it comes to Will.
The bloke seriously needs to get going if he wants to get a permanent place in our midfield.
Sheezel & Wardlaw have leapfrogged him in no time & there will be more serious midfield talent added in a few months time.
Nobody here hates Will or is hoping that he fails.

He’s had 2 concessions…
Hugh Greenwood got him at training & then delayed concussion symptoms after a knock last week

Sure, but the post I was referring to said “he hasn’t been the same since his concussions”, which does not seem to be an accurate assessment, given one occurred in the last qrt of last weeks game.

Some of his tackles were worth goals IMO

If he is allowed to become more offensive

Phillips is a better midfielder than powell
Don't agree based on current performances. Powell's numbers have steadily improved year on year.
I'm still not fully convinced on Powell athletically but he looks more likely to make it than Will at this stage.
Will has some serious work to do on his confidence kicking the ball and building his fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back