2km time trail report

Remove this Banner Ad

It's unfair to just assume but I'd guess a fair bit of the midfield damage done to us could've been through players Cunners and Jack were responsible for.
Dunno about that, I'd have to go back and watch a few replays. It seemed (on first glance) that in 2013 our midfield lost momentum when Goldy got tired. We aren't as good as roving from the opposition ruckman as other teams.

I hope that 2014 is the year that Cunners and Jack step up to the point where you don't worry about what their opponent is doing (ala Beams in 2012). All jokes aside, how many times do you think *hird worried about *jobe's opponent this year? The truly great inside midfielders win enough of the 50/50 contests that it doesn't matter who they are playing on

How long are we going to put up with our players not challenging for athletic world records?

It was merely a general comment about how fast those guys are, when someone like Gibbo is already such a talented runner?

I never suggested afl players should do similar. Not what I was intending at all, but anyway....

Pretty sure it was 8.40

Gee that's ordinary.

I haven't been for a run since Grand Final Day and I thought I'd have a crack at it on Saturday morning after a big Friday night Christmas party. I clocked in at 8:48 for 2km, with a fairly good hangover and I'm carrying an extra 15 kegs than I should be.

Fair to say Eric's endurance probably isn't ever going to allow him to play AFL football.

Gee that's ordinary.

I haven't been for a run since Grand Final Day and I thought I'd have a crack at it on Saturday morning after a big Friday night Christmas party. I clocked in at 8:48 for 2km, with a fairly good hangover and I'm carrying an extra 15 kegs than I should be.

Fair to say Eric's endurance probably isn't ever going to allow him to play AFL football.

I agree, that's a fair way back. I average 5 minutes for 1.6km and that's nothing special let alone the level they need to be at.

Errr that is very ordinary 4 minute 20 kilometres is pretty slow...

You are kidding right. The blokes 6'6 and about 100 kgs coming from a sporting background that is more explosive based rather than endurance based.

We had a bloke who couldn't run 400 metres without chucking his guts up once.

I agree, that's a fair way back. I average 5 minutes for 1.6km and that's nothing special let alone the level they need to be at.

That's on pace for a 7:30 run time for the BFA. I've seen some pretty good runners in my time in the ADF and even they were only pushing 8 minutes for 2.4 kms.

That's on pace for a 7:30 run time for the BFA. I've seen some pretty good runners in my time in the ADF and even they were only pushing 8 minutes for 2.4 kms.

Yeah but an extra 400m makes a big difference. Based on your calculation Big E would be running it in ~ 9 minutes. He's coming from a long way back but i'd have complete faith in our fitness team

You are kidding right. The blokes 6'6 and about 100 kgs coming from a sporting background that is more explosive based rather than endurance based.

This sums it up well. Big Eric has some incredible characteristics if he came through. What he currently lacks in endurance is tempered by sprint speed, vertical leap, aggression and power.

Would rather punt on him than a Zatopek contender who weighs 60 kegs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This sums it up well. Big Eric has some incredible characteristics if he came through. What he currently lacks in endurance is tempered by sprint speed, vertical leap, aggression and power.

Would rather punt on him than a Zatopek contender who weighs 60 kegs.

I think we've taken a punt on both with Eric and Tiny Tina Turner on our list :p to be fair though Kayne is closer to 70kgs than 60 :D

I think we've taken a punt on both with Eric and Tiny Tina Turner on our list :p to be fair though Kayne is closer to 70kgs than 60 :D

Haha thought of him but Kayne is a footballer through and trhough!

If we're speculating on athletes from other codes give me the freakishly gifted beast over a whippet anyday.

When it's in a professional sport where the endurance level required is very, very heavy.

And when you have only been exposed to the sport and that type of running for about a year, how bad actually is it?

Even the fact that Ben 10 got shitcanned for coming near the back despite still running it in under 7 minutes gets on my nerves.

I'm with DarwinRoo on this one, I'm about the same height/weight as the Beast (though obviously a slightly different body shape) and I would kill to run 2km in 8 mins

He's from the same sporting background as Todd Goldstein who is taller and heavier and ran under 7 mins.

It's a very ordinary effort for an elite sportsman to run 8:40 for 2km.

He's from the same sporting background as Todd Goldstein who is taller and heavier and ran under 7 mins.

Todd played junior footy.

I love everyone saying "I can run faster for 2km".

Righto. Can you jump higher? Are you 6'6"? How would you go against him in the weights room? In a one on one jostle? On a 30 metre sprint? In outright hand-eye coordination?

Endurance running is an area he has to work on. We get it. Just some funny ways of expressing it.

And when you have only been exposed to the sport and that type of running for about a year, how bad actually is it?

Even the fact that Ben 10 got shitcanned for coming near the back despite still running it in under 7 minutes gets on my nerves.

Oh no, he might be on track to improve his time but as it sits right now, that's a bad 2km time for an AFL footballer.

Oh no, he might be on track to improve his time but as it sits right now, that's a bad 2km time for an AFL footballer.

Taking into consideration his size, his likely role, his exposure to footy (literally 12 months), his background and his clear physical gifts in other areas, how is this a surprise or a concern?
From all you hear and read, calling into question his effort is bloody harsh imo.

Taking into consideration his size, his likely role, his exposure to footy (literally 12 months), his background and his clear physical gifts in other areas, how is this a surprise or a concern?
From all you hear and read, calling into question his effort is bloody harsh imo.

As I said, it's not a surprise or concern, it's just a bad time. If we drafted a paraplegic who walked 2km on his arms in 10 minutes, it'd still be a bad time. Yes, it's good for his circumstances but it doesn't stop it from being a bad 2k time.

How long has Todd been doing preseasons compared to the Beast?

And I don't consider the beast to be an elite sportsman.

Remove this Banner Ad

2km time trail report

Remove this Banner Ad

Back