Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney are still a bloody impressive side, but the inherent Victorian bias of the MCG Grand Final is a big, big factor.

They are awesome on paper but they have a history of going to water in MCG GFs. And ken is a fraud (port wont get there anyway).

We wont get a better chance than facing either of them.

I don't think Tuohy has played VFL since he joined the club - suggesting he'll be dropped is pretty fanciful stuff.

Look the safer option is bews because hes spent 3/4 of the year in the vfl.

But the reality is we have 1 certain in and 1 likely in-at least one of tuohy or bews has to miss out.
tuohy is on the edge given he was sub vs port.

Who gets Ashcroft, Neale, McCluggage, Rayner, Cameron and Joe?

Stanley being fresh will be pivotal in his match against Oscar; or does DeK help out?

I see this as a contest between 1. the best list in the comp, with confidence and spirit v 2. the most even list in the comp, with the benefit of an extended rest

Stanley being fresh will be pivotal in his match against Oscar; or does DeK help out?

I see this as a contest between 1. the best list in the comp, with confidence and spirit v 2. the most even list in the comp, with the benefit of an extended rest
Brisbane are the best team in the comp. However their control game is Geelong 2019/2020 , you could see Kingsley was a Dimma clone and chaos was smashing Geelong control last night. Then the lions had nothing to lose and started taking risks and amping up their pressure.
Anyway most cat fans get their wish of playing Brisbane and even suggested we should be shorter in the betting market…..
seems it’s flag or flop time. Who’s prepared to do a Mitchell?

I don't think Brisbane is the best list in the comp - I'd still take GWS' list.

Stewart for Mullin seems the obvious in

With Brisbane's forward line, plus McInerney being one who does drift forward it can see them with a number of tall options up forward meaning that SDK would definitely be in the discussion, but when we've played them in the past we haven't changed our defensive structure to play the additional tall defender

In the 2022 prelim, Brisbane went into that match with Daniher, Hipwood, McStay and McInerney in the ruck - our defence was SDK, Henry & Kolodjashi, with Stanley & Blicavs in the ruck to match up on them

They haven't really replaced McStay with another tall forward and instead going with small to medium forward options - so if we're using Blicavs in defence then he seems the obvious one to take Daniher, Henry then resumes duties against Hipwood and it allows Kolodjashnij to play in the 3rd tall

Adding SDK to the mix may make us too tall defence unless they've got another role in line for either SDK or Blicavs to play as an extra midfielder

David King has often said this year if Scott was coaching Brisbane then…… would be better etc…
And he was angling that way in the game last night prepared to say it was a coaching loss for Fagan….he had to keep quiet about that post game.
Okay let’s see Scott the best coach in the business get it done Kingy!

I don't think Brisbane is the best list in the comp - I'd still take GWS' list.
I think Lions, just that they mildly underperform. But hardly a weakness along every line, although some here say their defence is questionable. Their mids, ruck, forwards, and running game is enviable.
Watching Geelong in our final- if that is what CS has been preparing for, ie peaking at the right time- that was a brilliant running game that lasted 4 quarters and was close to the first time I'd seen it all year. That sort of play could win the whole thing. Can we trust us to serve that up again, and then again?

I find this a bit much. Port Adelaide simply aren't good enough, it doesn't mean that Hinkley is somehow a "fraud".
Yeah for all their supporters’ whinging, I think Hinkley’s done reasonably well with what he’s had. That 2014 team that pushed the Hawks in the prelim looks pretty thin in hindsight.

Most of their current best players are under 25, they should be thereabouts for another 5+ years if they don’t wither culturally after they sack Ken.

We just need to not get jumped at the start. If we are ahead at half time they wont overrun us.
Agree. Brisbanes first final was nothing more than a training drill for most of the game against the baggers which put them in good position for the semi as opposed to the Giants who had to fight tooth and nail against the swans, hence the last quarter fade out last night.
We should be cherry ripe with a relatively healthy list.
Dont think we could be in a better position but still we need to turn up.

Thought Giants exposed Lions lack of speed
They sliced through the Lions with handball
This is the way the cats like to move the ball.
Cats main strength is the fast rebound game
Aim to outscore Lions force them to defend
Cats must negate Lions intercept defenders
Suggest SDK play as defensive forward
Stop Andrews = game is played in Cats F50
SDK gives versatility for Ruck and Defense
Ashcroft can hurt, Neale can destroy you.
Mullin has focus and discipline to tag Neale
Good tag needs to sacrifice their own game
Free other Mid's to driving the ball forward.

OUT : Bews Touhy - IN : Stewart SDK
SUB : Mullin / Touhy

Lions didn’t get anything from Neale, Raynor , Hipwood & Cameron last night….
Hipwood is in poor form, but if we stop the other 3 then we have a good chance…
Speed & pressure will get this done. Speed to pressure….. lions don’t have the speed to pressure, so cats speedy players and ball movement and those quick handballs we saw against the power will be crucial.
Get it done cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think GWS and the Bulldogs have the most talented lists. Brisbane are up there but Daniher and Hipwood are flakey and Neale is not the player he was.

Let’s not forget that it was just three games ago that StKilda absolutely towelled us up.
Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

I’m tempted to squeeze SDK into team as good to not overwork Rhys before GF. Also keen to have a relatively fresh Rhys going into the last quarter.

I just don’t think it’s going to be possible.

Daniher (201cm) and Hipwood (203cm) are very tall forwards so perhaps having SDK in the team may provide some insurance in case we get injury to Rhys, Blitz, Henry, or Neale.

We could would play SDK but look to sub him off but that would mean two of Bews, 2E, and Mullin would likely miss out to fit in Stewart and SDK.

It’s a strange situation where I expect SDK to be well ahead of Blitz and Rhys next year but hard to find a spot with those two playing well, all the while Henry and Kolo back in form.

Daniher (201cm) and Hipwood (203cm) are very tall forwards

They are a tall side in general.
McInerney (205cm), Berry (192cm), Hipwood (203cm), Daniher (200cm), Andrews (202cm), Payne (197cm), Lester (192cm), Dunkley (191cm).

By comparison, Blicavs, Cameron, Henry, Kolodjashnij, Stanley, Stewart & Neale all 190cm+ in height and the advantage with three of those players (four if you wish to include Kolo) is their agility to be able to play in multiple positions at any stage during a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back