Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Big ask for stanley to ruck all night and then back it up next week. Play sdk part defense and part ruck and give stanley a chop out while giving us taller support in defense if needed.
Stanley fresh after games and a 2week+ rest, PLUS Blicavs helping out?

Not a classic whinger here, but contracts aside, how is it the Giants can play a final at thier crappy 23,500 capacity stadium and our brand new shiney 40,000 fortnress barely gets a mention? I mean, we want to play at the MCG for obvious reasons, but it defies logic.
and thousands of empty seats...that could be why...lack of supporter base

I think GWS and the Bulldogs have the most talented lists. Brisbane are up there but Daniher and Hipwood are flakey and Neale is not the player he was.
Hipwood is flakey.
Daniher was their best in the 23 GF, and won the match last night.
Neale will go close to the Brownlow again- in their large winning streak, he was massive.

Hipwood is flakey.
Neale will go close to the Brownlow again- in their large winning streak, he was massive.

It'll be interesting to see how much the foot issue/injury hampers Neale

No it's not.

Blicavs is playing well in defence. With him there are 3 talls. He can chop out Stanley in the ruck.
Henry and kolo aren't tall enough for either Daniher or hipwood. They can help out. But that's it. And if blicavs is filling in at ruck then we have literally zero tall defenders for those two while that's happening.

Plus I'm not sure blicavs is good enough to go with them. Dixon was hardly much of a challenge in his current state. Sdk is our best tall defender. Madness to not play him against a team with two tall fowards.

Henry and kolo aren't tall enough for either Daniher or hipwood. They can help out. But that's it. And if blicavs is filling in at ruck then we have literally zero tall defenders for those two while that's happening.

Plus I'm not sure blicavs is good enough to go with them. Dixon was hardly much of a challenge in his current state. Sdk is our best tall defender. Madness to not play him against a team with two tall fowards.
Henry and Kolo have been playing on tall forwards all year. SDK hasn't played in defence since the middle of the season. Blicavs has been taking talls lately. So we will have 3 players to defend those 2 mostly, then 2 players for the small amount Blicavs rucks.

They are a tall side in general.
McInerney (205cm), Berry (192cm), Hipwood (203cm), Daniher (200cm), Andrews (202cm), Payne (197cm), Lester (192cm), Dunkley (191cm).

By comparison, Blicavs, Cameron, Henry, Kolodjashnij, Stanley, Stewart & Neale all 190cm+ in height and the advantage with three of those players (four if you wish to include Kolo) is their agility to be able to play in multiple positions at any stage during a game.
Neale Geelong 203 cm
Stanley 200 cm
De Koning 204 cm
Blicavs 198 cm
Kolo 195 cm
Jack Henry 194 cm
Agreed, we are exceptionally tall as well, including DeK, AND athletic.
JH being fit is an absolute underrated bonus for us.

Hipwood is flakey.
Brisbane showing signs of peaking to early or feilding injured hampered players.Every thing is looking like hard work for them.

Brisbane showing signs of peaking to early or feilding injured hampered players.Every thing is looking like hard work for them.
Hope so.
They celebrated like having won a flag, BUT that win last night was UNREAL.

Henry and Kolo have been playing on tall forwards all year. SDK hasn't played in defence since the middle of the season. Blicavs has been taking talls lately. So we will have 3 players to defend those 2 mostly, then 2 players for the small amount Blicavs rucks.
Sdk was playing defence in his last couple of games this season.

Jack Henry is a gun. But his one weakness is tall players with long reach. I.e. hipwood and daniher. We must not play Henry on them.

Except for when Henry & Kolodjashnij have played on the likes of Daniher & Hipwood throughout their careers

In the 2022 Prelim, Brisbane played all of McStay (195cm), Daniher (201cm) & Hipwood (203cm) - our tall defenders were Henry, Kolodjashnij & SDK, who kept the trio to a combined 2 goals

So let's not start rewriting history by pretending that Henry & Kolodjashnij are suddenly not capable tall defenders who haven't repeatedly done the job on tall forward opponents

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sdk was playing defence in his last couple of games this season.

Jack Henry is a gun. But his one weakness is tall players with long reach. I.e. hipwood and daniher. We must not play Henry on them.
Kolo for Daniher and Henry or Blicavs on the crap tall would do fine for me. The other goes to the youngster.

Cut to the chase, what are your proposed changes? Ins and outs.

Except for when Henry & Kolodjashnij have played on the likes of Daniher & Hipwood throughout their careers

In the 2022 Prelim, Brisbane played all of McStay (195cm), Daniher (201cm) & Hipwood (203cm) - our tall defenders were Henry, Kolodjashnij & SDK, who kept the trio to a combined 2 goals

So let's not start rewriting history by pretending that Henry & Kolodjashnij are suddenly not capable tall defenders who have repeatedly done the job on tall forward opponents
Having you on BF is like having a Geelong supporting encyclopaedia- your knowledge is astounding.

IIRC, our MF was on top as well which pressured their forward entries

Kolo for Daniher and Henry or Blicavs on the crap tall would do fine for me. The other goes to the youngster.

Cut to the chase, what are your proposed changes? Ins and outs.
2022 GF team, minus-
Smith (Holmes),
Selwood (Dempsey),
Rohan (O Henry),
Hawkins (Neale),
O'Connor (Humphries),
C Guthrie (Mannagh),
Somehow, Bruhn and Bowes as well need to be fitted in. Wonder if Stewart is ready now.
Tuohy or Duncan sub.
If I had my choice, would probably play Mullin- not sure who misses- Bews or Tuohy or Duncan.

Last edited:
Not a classic whinger here, but contracts aside, how is it the Giants can play a final at thier crappy 23,500 capacity stadium and our brand new shiney 40,000 fortnress barely gets a mention? I mean, we want to play at the MCG for obvious reasons, but it defies logic.
It's an unfair system - a joke really - but continuing to discuss it year-after-year is a pointless exercise unforunately. It just won't happen and it's clear we will continue to have home 'MCG' finals regardless of the opposition.

We can only control what we can control - and that is winning games of footy against any team, at any venue, and at any time.

I've moved on and accepted it, it seems the club has, too. It can become an unwanted distraction.

Lets win two more games at the 'G and bring the flag home. We have done it four times since '07 whilst playing 'home' finals at the 'G. Lets just do it again and shove it up all of 'em!

I found his response to the question about the move down the highway somewhat unconvincing......there didn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm about it.

Maybe I need to listen to it again.
Maybe he's just not an affable interviewee and that's just how he is. Not everyone can be a Billy Brownless in front of the camera!!

It's an unfair system - a joke really - but continuing to discuss it year-after-year is a pointless exercise unforunately. It just won't happen and it's clear we will continue to have home 'MCG' finals regardless of the opposition.

We can only control what we can control - and that is winning games of footy against any team, at any venue, and at any time.

I've moved on and accepted it, it seems the club has, too. It can become an unwanted distraction.

Lets win two more games at the 'G and bring the flag home. We have done it four times since '07 whilst playing 'home' finals at the 'G. Lets just do it again and shove it up all of 'em!
I don't see the point in asking for home finals until we get all our home games at Kardinia and even then the shady deals between MCC and AFL will mean 99% of our finals will be at the MCG

So let's not start rewriting history by pretending that Henry & Kolodjashnij are suddenly not capable tall defenders who have repeatedly done the job on tall forward opponents
I could be wrong but didn't we start Stanley at the center bounces then have him go back in defence to mitigate their forward height advantage and Blits take up the ruck duties around the ground a Scott masterstroke?

Maybe not a flop but to not make the GF from here in this position would be extremely disappointing.
I think Brisbane would be looking at us thinking the same thing.

Teams have eyed us off with a pov we have large chinks in the armour and are vulnerable. They will be confident

I could be wrong but didn't we start Stanley at the center bounces then have him go back in defence to mitigate their forward height advantage and Blits take up the ruck duties around the ground a Scott masterstroke?

That was a tactic we used across multiple games in the later stages of 22 so it wasn't just isolated to the Brisbane match

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back