Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone pretty unlucky.

Yes and no. Bews was ok but no more and wasn't given a specific lockdown role. Mullin did a solid job on JHF but that's a very particular role and player that suits his strengths.

They both did the job when needed but they're also both far from undropable. I'd say we had players miss flags who were more unlucky than either of those 2 in most of our premierships this century. Stokes, Milburn and Menegola come to mind.

And just as importantly a healthy one.
Agreed.
Yet we still have Rohan and MOC unavailable due to injury/surgery, and both are > depth players. Given we can't fit in CGuthrie, and THawkins, we ARE in good shape.

Agreed.
Yet we still have Rohan and MOC unavailable due to injury/surgery, and both are > depth players. Given we can't fit in CGuthrie, and THawkins, we ARE in good shape.

I’d argue that Hawkins, Rohan and MOC aren’t in our best 23 anymore. A fully fit Guthrie hopefully still is yet it’s been 2 years since we’ve seen that form.

On current form we aren’t missing anyone from being selected (touches every bit of wood in reach).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d argue that Hawkins, Rohan and MOC aren’t in our best 23 anymore. A fully fit Guthrie hopefully still is yet it’s been 2 years since we’ve seen that form.

On current form we aren’t missing anyone from being selected (touches every bit of wood in reach).
No argument needed- Tuohy and Duncan close to that as well; they say your bottom 6 determines your worth, and our bottom tier of players is the best of the prelim teams, imho

Nah syd will smash port.
Geel vs syd i reckon.

As i said earlier in the year i dont think we are flag worthy but the comp is very weak and therefore we could win it.
Its fallen our way as we matchup really well on brisbane and their mcg record is crap
Then an interstate team in the GF
Now we are here we just must win the flag as we will never get a more straightforward path to one in the next 10 years.

Plus for some of the oldies who are retiring in a couple of weeks plus danger this is probably their last chance to win a flag.
So lets get it done.
I don’t necessarily think it is “weak” but very even. No stand out team really since Richmond flags.

So it comes down to performing on the day and a little bit of luck - good coaching and a disciplined team with confidence.

It would be absolutely amazing if Cats win the flag given the prospects at the beginning of the year.

Adding Mannagh, Dempsey’s rapid improvement, another year into Bruhn/Henry and some players getting back to 2022 form is all we needed apparently.

And we are covering no Hawkins nor Guthrie (not to mention Selwood!) from 2022 and players who are definitely worse (2E, Duncan, Blitz) due to age…

You're right but it's home state final. Their finals should be at the SCG. Regardless of how many fans they have (which is not enough after last night's attendance effort).
GC, IF they ever make a home final? GABBA?
I think there are exceptions and supporter base and development thereof are factors with these teams.

Look the safer option is bews because hes spent 3/4 of the year in the vfl.

But the reality is we have 1 certain in and 1 likely in-at least one of tuohy or bews has to miss out.
tuohy is on the edge given he was sub vs port.
I can’t believe I am typing this but BEWS can NOT miss surely? He will be sent to Cameron (who is not in great form but still needs to be sat on). Brisbane have a pretty small forward line so we can’t go too tall.

They have 3 players don’t they that require attention. Neale, Cameron, Zorko. I can see Close getting the job on Zorko (and like the GWS guy try and score from stoppages given Zorko doesn’t defend), Bews on Cameron and Atkins/Bowes to take Neal?

Unless we think Zuthrie is quick enough to take Cameron?

Yes and no. Bews was ok but no more and wasn't given a specific lockdown role. Mullin did a solid job on JHF but that's a very particular role and player that suits his strengths.

They both did the job when needed but they're also both far from undropable. I'd say we had players miss flags who were more unlucky than either of those 2 in most of our premierships this century. Stokes, Milburn and Menegola come to mind.

Correct.

Menegola was a rusted on starter until injury and him and the others fell off at the wrong time (as did holmes with his injury).

Bews in particular as well as mullin are much much more fringe than them.

Danger is on a mission to become
Premiership Captain + Win Normie

Holmes wants to avenge missing 22

Jezza to redeem poor GF performance
After his interrupted GF eve sleep

Oldies want to go out as winners

Mannagh desperate to take his chance

New Cats are hungry and primed
The team is in form and fresh

Cats know they are capable of winning
They will all give it their best shot
Can you believe the tone we all have now compared to where we have been most of the season. Me included - worried that we are pretenders and couldn’t possibly contend with a transition squad.

All of a sudden my expectations are that we will win the whole thing (double jinx no return!). Of course still 2 tough games to go and could lose either but it is no longer a feeling of prentense nor hope but of expectation.

Amazing club to follow

Yeah exactly. And all of those decisions - including Milburn and Mooney, too - were flagged prior to the PF week, with all those players being outside the senior side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back