Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t believe I am typing this but BEWS can NOT miss surely? He will be sent to Cameron (who is not in great form but still needs to be sat on). Brisbane have a pretty small forward line so we can’t go too tall.

They have 3 players don’t they that require attention. Neale, Cameron, Zorko. I can see Close getting the job on Zorko (and like the GWS guy try and score from stoppages given Zorko doesn’t defend), Bews on Cameron and Atkins/Bowes to take Neal?

Unless we think Zuthrie is quick enough to take Cameron?

Zuthrie did a fine enough job last time on cameron.

My view is cameron is the sort of player where if we dominate field position he wont do much anyway and if they dominate (which i doubt) it wont matter who we put on him.

To me stewart and sdk are both clearly better players than bews at this point so i would make the swap and just tweak the matchups.

Yeah exactly. And all of those decisions - including Milburn and Mooney, too - were flagged prior to the PF week, with all those players being outside the senior side.

Not really. Menegola was almost picked for the GF until the morning of the game when they went with parfitt (line ball call).

It'll be interesting to see how much the foot issue/injury hampers Neale
Any word on what it is? Stress fracture? If so, very high risk to play him as an elite running mid- at his best, he is close to the best pure mid in the comp.

Maybe not a flop but to not make the GF from here in this position would be extremely disappointing.
100% I just laugh at the likes of Chinacats, BiggyBoy et al laying traps ready to dance on the grave of the team they purportedly support.

Kolo for Daniher and Henry or Blicavs on the crap tall would do fine for me. The other goes to the youngster.

Cut to the chase, what are your proposed changes? Ins and outs.

I think hes going stewart for mullin and sdk fot bews which i would also do.

Kolo for Daniher

I think Daniher would have 3 goals by halftime if we went with that match-up. Blicavs would be a better option as he will also go with Daniher at ruck duels.

Going to be very interesting to see how they play Stewart (assuming he's picked). If they do choose to assign a tag.

Bruhn's addition cannot be underestimated. Doesn't get much of it, but a high clearance winner and takes quite a bit of the burden away from Dangerfield.

Having you on BF is like having a Geelong supporting encyclopaedia- your knowledge is astounding.

IIRC, our MF was on top as well which pressured their forward entries
Nailed it, midfield pressure will make or break us, key to the game IMO.

Yes, but he was also omitted for the previous games

Not necessarily.
He had gastro the week before so couldnt be picked for the prelim but was waiting in case needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the MRP were doing their job Harris Andrews wouldn't be playing this weekend. That sniping hit that ended Coniglio's night was appalling.

Montagna said the winner out of last nights game should go on and win the flag.

No chance we’ll be favourites in the media
Montangna is usually pretty sensible, but I can't come at that. Last night wasn't exactly a skill fest from two high quality teams.

Henry and kolo aren't tall enough for either Daniher or hipwood. They can help out. But that's it. And if blicavs is filling in at ruck then we have literally zero tall defenders for those two while that's happening.

Plus I'm not sure blicavs is good enough to go with them. Dixon was hardly much of a challenge in his current state. Sdk is our best tall defender. Madness to not play him against a team with two tall fowards.
I noticed Daniher was the back up ruck for Brisbane so I imagine Blics just with him, otherwise it’s Stanley v Macca all night. SDK on Hipwood is interesting. Who does Kolo and Henry play on?

Montangna is usually pretty sensible, but I can't come at that. Last night wasn't exactly a skill fest from two high quality teams.
It was not as loud due to the commentary team, and the poor crowd, but that comeback against a home team, highly touted, was utterly exceptional. The belief and spirit could galvanise them like Geelong 94, but there is no foreboding team like the 94 WCE to fear the week after.

The scoreline 15-15 to 15-10 reveals 30 goals, and some of them were top shelf.
To me, one of the best finals I've watched since 1963.

We have some reasons for hope, all 4 teams are in a position to win it, and there will be no upsets, but certainly 2 of the best 2024 teams played off last night

It looked to have rolled it in the dying stages of the game on the weekend. Was in a bit of discomfort too.
Do you think a stress fracture would show signs of such distress just going by body language?
Sorry, I only saw today's vision of him in a cam boot, which covers a myriad of conditions. Did not see the aftermath of his injury last night, despite being glued to the box.

Sorry, I only saw today's vision of him in a cam boot, which covers a myriad of conditions. Did not see the aftermath of his injury last night, despite being glued to the box.

This is what Fagan said about the injury:

"He's had a bit of a sore foot for quite a few weeks now, so his training has been modified," Fagan said.

"If you come down and watch us train, you probably won't see him on a Tuesday. You'll see him on a Thursday and he'll look not very good.

"Then by the time we get to a game, he's good to go. He's tough."

It was not as loud due to the commentary team, and the poor crowd, but that comeback against a home team, highly touted, was utterly exceptional. The belief and spirit could galvanise them like Geelong 94, but there is no foreboding team like the 94 WCE to fear the week after.

We have some reasons for hope, all 4 teams are in a position to win it, and there will be no upsets, but certainly 2 of the best 2024 teams played off last night
I kind of saw the game last night as the more dominant team in control absolutely running out of gas, and a pretty good team taking advantage of that on a big stage. I thought the pressure and contest was pretty placid until late in the game.

I am quite confident we match and beat them. Not surprised if we lose, but I would be surprised if it was uncompetitive or anything ridiculous.

Zuthrie did a fine enough job last time on cameron.

My view is cameron is the sort of player where if we dominate field position he wont do much anyway and if they dominate (which i doubt) it wont matter who we put on him.

To me stewart and sdk are both clearly better players than bews at this point so i would make the swap and just tweak the matchups.
I hope you are right as I am really anxious for SDK. While I will be sad for Bews to miss out I think SDK deserves it as much and is our future. Understand sentiment doesn’t matter in these games so match committee will go with that they think helps win the game

It's great to see scoring football coming back.

After the Clarkson Cluster won the 2008 premiership, coaches have taken a long time to work out how to score with any kind of regularity - and it looks like they're starting to work it out.

We'll never see the likes of the 1980s scores again (nobody is that naive in how they defend), but it's a lot better than it was 10 years ago.

The AFL stand and 6-6-6 rules also deserve some commendation, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back