Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeds is correct, Close won't be able to play a defensive role on Zorko

What’s that got to do with what I said. I’m replying to “he’s not a defender” comment. He’s literally an all Australian defender. In fact the comment you replied to is me saying “he’s not a forward”

Exactly. Which is why I find it baffling Port got so upset about it.

My theory is that it was a handy distraction (and motivation) for them when the AFL world was questioning their credentials.
Yeah, I wonder what would have to happen in the middle of those 14 days for him to see his mate. 🤔

Why would he even consider dropping Blicavs? He’s in form. Can relieve Stanley in the ruck.

I’ve changed my mind several times but are thinking against Bris need to play SDK. Him and Stewart to come in for Bews and Duncan. Duncan to replace Tuohy as the sub.

Unpopular view, but I’d retain Mullin.
Tough one not that it matters but I’ve been to-ing and fro-ing, have a feeling it might be OUT - Bews, Tuohy IN - Stewart and SDK(Sub) as he gives us so many options both directly and indirectly for eg. releasing Blicavs

They definitely have more good players near their peak ages. But do they have anyone as good as Dangerfield, Stewart and Cameron?

I don't think anyone on their list has come close to the dominance that those 3 have consistently produced. And if we've got the top 3 it's hard to see how we don't have at least a similar level of talent.
Right now- Neale, Harris Andrews, and Daniher.
Not forgetting,
Danger is a week to week proposition, and has had to be managed.
Stewart is not AA this year- couldn't come up with anything else!
JC is very cyclothymic- a lethal weapon, who can easily go missing- admittedly, in peak form now, it seems, when it counts!

Hawks will get the last laugh long term because they're closer to a flag than Port are unless some drastic changes happen at the club.
Err, one of them is 2 wins from a flag, the other at least a year off.

Given Scott won't be able to come to terms with dropping blicavs.

Should we play sdk as sub. It gives us back up for both Stanley and if the tall fowards get away from blicavs and Henry?

Sdk could even give an extra avenue foward if things aren't working there too.

Touhy doesn't offer much as sub.
Just name your proposed changes (ins/outs) and we can go from there.

Sounds like you're getting close to a decision:

SDK and Stewart in
Tuohy and who out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now- Neale, Harris Andrews, and Daniher.
Not forgetting,
Danger is a week to week proposition, and has had to be managed.
Stewart is not AA this year- couldn't come up with anything else!
JC is very cyclothymic- a lethal weapon, who can easily go missing- admittedly, in peak form now, it seems, when it counts!
Stengle is the best forward in the comp, Holmes is the best rebounding defender/wingman. Don't get sucked in by their AA snubs, which were terrible decisions.

Stewart has been a coaches votes magnet since moving to midfield, but obviously that happened too late for AA consideration.

Dangerfield and Cameron remain two of the most influential players in the comp.

It's fine to pump up the opposition but it is very biased to then be harsher with Geelong players of the same quality.

And yes, you can be deliberately biased against your own team. It's called "protecting oneself from pain of disappointment ". Very, very transparent.

Puff piece, but worth a read...

Yeah Scott has always said it’s better for a young top end draftee or a player later in the draft to learn and be ‘socialized’ into the AFL through training with top end players like Dangerfield, Hawkins etc…. Rather than be at the Gold Coast, kangaroos etc….with a group of other young players that are still in the process of learning about the game.
Scott has said that for a good 8-10 years I think. I think he is right about that.

If we win through, is there likely to be open training next week? If so, any idea what day it would likely be?
I do have this info for anyone interested.

Open training session will be on Monday 11.00 - 1.00 (and a very different parade on the Tuesday if they win)

Last edited:
Henry to play on Hipwood.

Blicavs to play on Daniher. Daniher & Blicavs both playing the 2nd ruck role so makes sense.

SDK not required unless they plan on deploying Blicavs elsewhere.

Bews will be needed for Cameron or Bailey.

Tuohy is battle hardened and is our best sub option. Can play multiple roles.

Mullin to play a hard tag on Zorko.

Atkins to go head to head with Neale. But will take a team effort to stop him. Stewart could even play a run with role to prevent getting tagged himself.

Dunkley will run with Danger all day.

Cameron and Stengle are key. If they kick straight we win. Both love big games and kicking bags.

Good luck to whoever is tasked with Holmes, he is fit and will be gut running all night long - desperate to play in a grand final.

My major concern is Oscar McInerney, he will give their mids first crack more often than not. We dominated Brisbane after he went down earlier in the year. Very underrated ruckman. We will need Stanley to play out of his skin. Do we prioritize stopping their small forwards or big forwards? Bews or SDK? Big decisions for CS and the team.

Our forward line is the best in the comp. Our defence is rock solid. Just need our mids to compete hard and even the contetests and its ours to lose.

Go cats.

My major concern is Oscar McInerney, he will give their mids first crack more often than not.

It's my one major worry too. I think Stanley vs SDK is the massive selection decision.

SDK playing ruck in the VFL shows that's where they're thinking of playing him. He was excellent there the month he played there but inexperienced in the position.

Stanley was terrible early but much improved lately.

No idea which way they go but I highly doubt they go with both.

Stengle is the best forward in the comp, Holmes is the best rebounding defender/wingman. Don't get sucked in by their AA snubs, which were terrible decisions.

Stewart has been a coaches votes magnet since moving to midfield, but obviously that happened too late for AA consideration.

Dangerfield and Cameron remain two of the most influential players in the comp.

It's fine to pump up the opposition but it is very biased to then be harsher with Geelong players of the same quality.

And yes, you can be deliberately biased against your own team. It's called "protecting oneself from pain of disappointment ". Very, very transparent.
Stengle got overlooked in the AA team for Hawthorn's Dylan Moore even though Stengle had the most goals of any small forward in the competition. Moore had a poor first final (0 goals) and a mediocre second final (1 goal) Stengle had a fantastic first final kicking 4 goals. Stengle is a cut above Moore.

It's my one major worry too. I think Stanley vs SDK is the massive selection decision.

SDK playing ruck in the VFL shows that's where they're thinking of playing him. He was excellent there the month he played there but inexperienced in the position.

Stanley was terrible early but much improved lately.

No idea which way they go but I highly doubt they go with both.
I hope they go with Stanley and SDK to tire out McInerney. When McInerney plays well Brisbane plays well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back