Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Scared Breaking Bad GIF by davidsaracino

The concern I have is that SDK comes back into defense and Blicavs goes back on ball when Blicavs has been great in defense and can run with Daniher when he roams up the wing, and SDKs best this year has been in Blicavs old role in the ruck and on ball.

I don't know who goes out of the team, but surely we stick with Blicavs KPD, Stanley ruck, Neale KPF and if SDK comes in he goes on the bench and is relief ruck for Stanley and only goes into defense if Blicavs or whoever is on Hipwood are being beaten.

But if our defense does what it does, I would be very happy with SDK pinch hitting ruck and swapping with Neale forward or potentially working forward with Neale to stretch the Brisbane defense because Andrews can't do it all and Paynes leg looked cooked and SDK/Neale can both outmark him and run him off his legs.

Hawkins or not?
SDK or not?
Several media (ex players) pushing for Hawkins- much as he is loved, he has seen to be finished all season really, and I would have hoped he would make the decision easy for MC by declaring Neale the heir apparent, EXACTLY as Mooney did for Tom in 2011.
SDK could be handy, but for who, and does it make us top heavy, too tall?

What’s that got to do with what I said. I’m replying to “he’s not a defender” comment. He’s literally an all Australian defender. In fact the comment you replied to is me saying “he’s not a forward”
He is a defender in the same way holmes or mitch duncan are defenders. Ie. a midfielder who collects possessions around half back and springs foward.

I relate to this too well. Protecting myself by expecting the worst and pushing down moments of optimism. I need it to be Saturday already 🙏🏼
Are we related?
Cats fans and Arsenal fans and what you said. Exactly.

The concern I have is that SDK comes back into defense and Blicavs goes back on ball when Blicavs has been great in defense and can run with Daniher when he roams up the wing, and SDKs best this year has been in Blicavs old role in the ruck and on ball.

I don't know who goes out of the team, but surely we stick with Blicavs KPD, Stanley ruck, Neale KPF and if SDK comes in he goes on the bench and is relief ruck for Stanley and only goes into defense if Blicavs or whoever is on Hipwood are being beaten.

But if our defense does what it does, I would be very happy with SDK pinch hitting ruck and swapping with Neale forward or potentially working forward with Neale to stretch the Brisbane defense because Andrews can't do it all and Paynes leg looked cooked and SDK/Neale can both outmark him and run him off his legs.

You can't change the defence. It looks better than it has looked all year. Blicavs, Kolo and Henry have all outperformed SDK in defence so he can't replace one of them. Blicavs was terrible in midfield so you can't go that option. Adding SDK to that group makes us way too tall and slow for the MCG.

You can't play him forward given how well our forward line has been going.

The only realistic option is ruck and if you play both SDK and Stanley you lose most of a rotation. And our midfield game is built on heavy rotations.

Simple conclusion. Only one of SDK and Stanley play. I can see an argument for each. But I'll be very worried if we pick both.

Just name your proposed changes (ins/outs) and we can go from there.

Sounds like you're getting close to a decision:

SDK and Stewart in
Tuohy and who out?
Actually i keep flip flopping on how many talls we need. Plus there is the side i would choose and the one that is realistically possible given the MC.

I would bring in stewart to starting side and dump touhy from side all together. I would either bring sdk in to starting side or put him in as sub. Thats all I can say with near certainty at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually i keep flip flopping on how many talls we need. Plus there is the side i would choose and the one that is realsitically possible given the MC.

I would bring in stewart to starting side and dump touhy from side all together. I would either bring sdk in to starting side or put him in as sub. Thats all I can say with near certainty at this point.
Cheers.

It sounds like you want to say Stewart and SDK in for Tuohy and Blicavs but realise the second move won't happen. So if pushed who else would you drop: Mullin or Bews or someone else?

Cheers.

It sounds like you want to say Stewart and SDK in for Tuohy and Blicavs but realise the second move won't happen. So if pushed who else would you drop: Mullin or Bews or someone else?
I was on mullin going out but some posters have made some good points on tagging neale. Not sure who the best option is there.

Im also not a definite on wanting blicavs out either. But his name should be in the discussions. I am a definite on not wanting blicavs anywhere near the midfield or wing again. Key defence or back up ruck only.

Wouldn't the answer be to replace Bews, or send him to sub? Watching replay again atm and not convinced Bews, while dour, has the class and flexibilty of SDK. Stewart dropping back gives us the chip out where we're not too tall without Bews.

You can't change the defence. It looks better than it has looked all year. Blicavs, Kolo and Henry have all outperformed SDK in defence so he can't replace one of them. Blicavs was terrible in midfield so you can't go that option. Adding SDK to that group makes us way too tall and slow for the MCG.

You can't play him forward given how well our forward line has been going.

The only realistic option is ruck and if you play both SDK and Stanley you lose most of a rotation. And our midfield game is built on heavy rotations.

Simple conclusion. Only one of SDK and Stanley play. I can see an argument for each. But I'll be very worried if we pick both.
I think if its down to SDK and Stanley it has to be Stanley especially against a bigger, more experienced ruck that Brisbane have.

I think the only obvious change right now is Mullin for Stewart but I can't see how they don't bring SDK in as they clearly view him as best 22.

Does anyone remember how we were lining up when we beat Adelaide at home, thats the last game I remember us using Stanley/Neale/SDK/Blicavs but had we already moved Blicavs to defence by then?

I relate to this too well. Protecting myself by expecting the worst and pushing down moments of optimism. I need it to be Saturday already 🙏🏼

Yeah I do too.

You learn various coping mechanisms to deal with the nerves and expectations and fears over the years - but in my experience you can never wholly subsume that lurking feeling of dread and excitement.

I have to assume it's character building.

In 2020 I subconsciously made a bargain with the footy gods that if I put in a big week of running (and it was a very hot spring in Cairns) I would be rewarded with a flag. I put in the hard yards, but it mattered not one iota.

In 2022 I can't even really recall what I did in the lead-up; my family were back in Melbourne for the week, I have to assume I was extremely, um, self-medicated for a lot of the lead-up.

I think I came to the realisation a while ago, though - just prior to our breakthrough 2007 flag in fact - that my superstitions and dreams amounted to nothing, and all I could ultimately do is watch it unfold. That's the best thing about sport and the best thing about life.

This year I'll be going to watch the local North Cairns Tigers women's team in their Grand Final at Cazaly's, not far from my place, before the game. Hopefully I'll pace myself.

Yeah I do too.

You learn various coping mechanisms to deal with the nerves and expectations and fears over the years - but in my experience you can never wholly subsume that lurking feeling of dread and excitement.

I have to assume it's character building.

In 2020 I subconsciously made a bargain with the footy gods that if I put in a big week of running (and it was a very hot spring in Cairns) I would be rewarded with a flag. I put in the hard yards, but it mattered not one iota.

In 2022 I can't even really recall what I did in the lead-up; my family were back in Melbourne for the week, I have to assume I was extremely, um, self-medicated for a lot of the lead-up.

I think I came to the realisation a while ago, though - just prior to our breakthrough 2007 flag in fact - that my superstitions and dreams amounted to nothing, and all I could ultimately do is watch it unfold. That's the best thing about sport and the best thing about life.

This year I'll be going to watch the local North Cairns Tigers women's team in their Grand Final at Cazaly's, not far from my place, before the game. Hopefully I'll pace myself.

I am in immortal 12th dimensional being, I've lived an uncountable number of lives, in an uncountable number of places, in an uncountable variation of forms, within universes that follow a uncountable variation of initial conditions or rules and law of reality. I see events from every possible perspective from events so tiny that no value from the observation could be be gained to events so large all context is lost. As the 1000 monkeys in front of the 1000 typewriters I have made every possible spelling and grammatical mistake.

In most of timelines, when the world resemble this form, Hawthorn drafts Selwood with pick 6. Geelong drafts David Armitage. How could I possibly be be stressed about an event that will occur, is occurring and has occurred a near infinite amount of times. That barely effects a tiny part of one reality, contained in only four dimensions.

Last edited:
but in my experience you can never wholly subsume that lurking feeling of dread and excitement.
This. I started watching the 2007 GF in a pub and left 10 minutes into the first QTR to stroll around town in pure dread of losing another one after 89, 92, 94, 95. Actually felt sick and couldn’t even finish a beer. Then at 3QTR time someone from work texted me that we were going well so I went into the first place showing it, yet still felt it could end up being a loss. 😩

This. I started watching the 2007 GF in a pub and left 10 minutes into the first QTR to stroll around town in pure dread of losing another one after 89, 92, 94, 95. Actually felt sick and couldn’t even finish a beer. Then at 3QTR time someone from work texted me that we were going well so I went into the first place showing it, yet still felt it could end up being a loss. 😩

This is too real

I am in immortal 12th dimensional being, I've lived an uncountable number of lives, in an uncountable number of places, in an uncountable variation of forms, within universes that follow a uncountable variation of initial conditions or rules and law of reality. I see events from every possible perspective from events so tiny that no value from the observation could be be gained to events so large all context is lost. As the 1000 monkeys in front of the 1000 typewriters I have made every possible spelling and grammatical mistake.

In most of timelines, when the world resemble this form, Hawthorn drafts Selwood with pick 6. Geelong drafts David Armitage. How could I possibly be be stressed about an event that will occur, is occurring and has occurred a near infinite amount of times. That barely effects a tiny part of one reality, contained in only four dimensions.

an immortal being would have better proofreading skills I reckon Lana.

Still, I gotta ask; in those timelines in which we draft David Armitage - we still win the 2007 flag, right??

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back