Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

If Mullin plays I think the player to send him to is Rayner. Or even play as a defensive forward on Zorko.

He didn't go into midfield with JHF until the game was over so I can't see us sending him to Neale. Atkins going to Neale is most likely I think.
Listening to Daniel Hoyne (Chamion Data) earlier, someone will no doubt be set for Cam Rayner. In short their stats show that if he gets any attention…he’s no good.

Alternatively he pumped up Zach Guthrie as one of the leagues most underrated players and the reason why Stewart into the middle has been such a success.

This move is looking to rival the Blics ruck, Stanley back merry-go-round of 2022 which is nearly my all time favourite footy tactic that no one saw coming😀

Good question- we are nowhere near the quality of our 2007-2011 list, and no other team is either, but some lists are more complete and talented than ours, Lions, Swans, GWS included. We showed what we CAN do against a more accomplished midfield than ours v Port.
There are other concerns, but not worth rehashing- most here are convinced we are the team to beat- so be it.

I will actually say it , lets not dance around the issue , and there is no reverse mock and all that nonsense

Im a conservative poster , like the Stk game i was worried about that game right upto the point Coll beat Bris by 1 pt then the game became irrelevant

However if , and that is the big word and the big query , but if Geel reproduces the form it displayed against Port Adelaide , then the Cats are $1.30 Flag favourites , and the other 3 in it are 100 to 1 pops

Bris were utterly deplorable when they trailed 4 goals to GWS 12 goals , and from that point i dont think it was real quality football from that point that got them the win

Im confident that Geel can reproduce the Port Ade form , plus in this corresponding game 2 years back we beat them by about 13 goals , thus my tip Geelong by 57 points.

Atkins to Neale.

If Ashcroft looks more dangerous then send Atkins to him. Bowes as a secondary match up in either case.

I'm not saying either are elite stoppers, but both would be our options to contest and stop those midfielders effectiveness. Then we back in the likes of Danger, Holmes, Stewart and Bruhn to do the damage for us.
I think this is the view im coming round to. Which means one of mullin or bews out and the other in defence. Probably for cameron.

Alternatively he pumped up Zach Guthrie as one of the leagues most underrated players and the reason why Stewart into the middle has been such a success.

Still surprised not much fuss has been made about Jack Henry. He's a completely different player to the one we saw during the middle of the year.
Going to be arguably the most crucial role this Saturday. If he is reading the play well from the get go, it gives Stewart and Guthrie the luxury to counter.

I think this is the view im coming round to. Which means one of mullin or bews out and the other in defence. Probably for cameron.
Same. Tuohy stays as sub, pace out of the game he can impact no doubt.

I’m shattered that there’s no room for SDK though.

Still surprised not much fuss has been made about Jack Henry. He's a completely different player to the one we saw during the middle of the year.
Going to be arguably the most crucial role this Saturday. If he is reading the play well from the get go, it gives Stewart and Guthrie the luxury to counter.
If he’s not injured, and not plying on the 2m forwards, he’s been good from day dot. Huge plus to have him playing regularly again. Adds to our big group of underrated players. Although I didn’t realise how underrated they are with our own supporters (reading these pages ouch 😬)

They do have some big forward options I think we might need to have SDK insurance. I just have a feeling they'll want to exploit us with their tall forwardline where they may believe they have a bit of an advantage.
Besides Daniher, they have very little talls.

Eric Hipwood is a spud. Except for 2-3 decent games a year, he's pretty much non-existent.

Logan Morris, however, shows a bit for a 1st year tall and needs to be watched carefully.

I'd match up -

Blitz Vs Daniher
Henry Vs Hipwood
Kolo Vs Morris
Bews Vs Cameron

Mix and match

Stewart, Guthrie, Duncan and Humphries with Rayner, Ah Chee, Bailey and Lohman

I'm not sure they have a lockdown option for Stewart, or if they will plan to try to shut him down..

Same. Tuohy stays as sub, pace out of the game he can impact no doubt.

I’m shattered that there’s no room for SDK though.

I’m confused why people are running with this idea that SDK won’t be an automatic in as soon as he’s deemed fit. Have people not paid attention to Scott’s emphasis and prioritisation of SDK throughout the year, particularly when he was playing horribly?

And there was fire in the belly during that Port QF. Early in the game when he was out-marked by Georgiades Henry looked outraged. That's what I want to see from Jack, didn't see it a lot earlier in the year.

Listening to Daniel Hoyne (Chamion Data) earlier, someone will no doubt be set for Cam Rayner. In short their stats show that if he gets any attention…he’s no good.

This move is looking to rival the Blics ruck, Stanley back merry-go-round of 2022 which is nearly my all time favourite footy tactic that no one saw coming😀
People who say we have less talent than other contenders really seem to undervalue just how well the likes of Zuthrie, J.Henry, Mannagh, Miers, Dempsey and Humphries are playing at the moment.

They're not big names but they are really good mid rangers.

I will actually say it , lets not dance around the issue , and there is no reverse mock and all that nonsense

Im a conservative poster , like the Stk game i was worried about that game right upto the point Coll beat Bris by 1 pt then the game became irrelevant

However if , and that is the big word and the big query , but if Geel reproduces the form it displayed against Port Adelaide , then the Cats are $1.30 Flag favourites , and the other 3 in it are 100 to 1 pops

Bris were utterly deplorable when they trailed 4 goals to GWS 12 goals , and from that point i dont think it was real quality football from that point that got them the win

Im confident that Geel can reproduce the Port Ade form , plus in this corresponding game 2 years back we beat them by about 13 goals , thus my tip Geelong by 57 points.

That guess would pay $8- add another 4 points (and anything over) gets you $13
Not bad, considering.

I’m confused why people are running with this idea that SDK won’t be an automatic in as soon as he’s deemed fit. Have people not paid attention to Scott’s emphasis and prioritisation of SDK throughout the year, particularly when he was playing horribly?
Hope you’re right, I want him in. Another grossly underrated player at Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People who say we have less talent than other contenders really seem to undervalue just how well the likes of Zuthrie, J.Henry, Mannagh, Miers, Dempsey and Humphries are playing at the moment.

A few of them might be better than that, and a couple heading north at the rate of knots😍

Then why wasn't he an automatic inclusion for the Port match considering he was fit?

He showed more in the clash with Werribee than he did against Southport - and from what we saw of the senior against Port, it's hard to see how he breaks into the side without omitting either Stanley or Blicavs, both of whom have had strong showings over recent matches

What would your proposed changes be, including sub?
Keeps changing. I think Tuohy misses. Stewart in. Bews stays for mine with Duncan Sub. If they decide they might need SDK he starts as Sub and Bews misses. They may even keep the powder dry on Bews for Papley.

When was the last time Bews successfully shut down a small forward?

So far this year he didn't have a specific role against North. Got killed by Rachele. Then didn't have a specific role against Port (Henry, Mullin, Bews and Kolo were all on Rioli at different times).

I don't remember him having a specific shutdown role against Stkilda or the Dogs at the end of last year.

I don't think he's successfully shutdown a small forward since mid 2023. Why is he suddenly going to do the job on Cameron and Papley?

Keeps changing. I think Tuohy misses. Stewart in. Bews stays for mine with Duncan Sub. If they decide they might need SDK he starts as Sub and Bews misses. They may even keep the powder dry on Bews for Papley.
If the club has decided Bews is the best small lockdown player and would play on Papley next week.. Why wouldn't he play on Cameron this week?

And why didn't he play on Rioli last week?

He did

"Against Port Adelaide, Bews held the dangerous Willie Rioli – who kicked 4.3 from a season-high seven shots at goal in the Power’s Round 9 win at GMHBA Stadium – to 1.1 from eight disposals."

From today's Krock article in which Jed also talks about matching up on Cameron this week

I've been banging on a bit lately about Scott but I think part of his genius is adapting game plan and talent and creating synergy from it. We do really get output greater than the sum of the individual parts under his tutelage.

He always has something up his sleeve - in GF22 we scored equally from turnover and clearance - we had hardly scored from clearance during the season but 50% of our score was from clearance in the GF. We also unleashed manic frontal pressure on the Swans and closed down space with every possession they had - again something we did sparingly during the H&A.

I think ball movement is our one wood this series - knowing when to go or hold and going f***g quick when we are on is what we will see this and hopefully next week. Were Port shit or did we just spiflicate them with speed and precision?
We went in 57 times and scored on 66% of those entries. 20 : 18 is an amazing return - we also went at 76%DE for the game.
I've only seen us live twice and we played differently both times.
Gather Round v Dogs we counter attacked with devastating run in the first 3 quarters before we ran out of steam in the last. Over here V Freo we held back , got numbers behind the ball , stopped their switch and played with more control when going forward.
I think we will play similar to the QF V Lions and back our pressure , create turnover / win contests and attack with speed and let our forwards/mids go to work. Hope to see quality build up from Holmes/Lawson and Zach from defence as well.
Go Catters ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back