Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Its the first time hawkins played vfl in 13 years.

Old players fall out of the team.

I’m not actually disagreeing with the decision. I think Mullin was excellent against the Power and provides a lockdown option if needed. His game is also all of a sudden progressing exponentially.

there is a possible game for us next week, not a complete write-off..
True but ideal situation from here is commanding victory Saturday and heading into the Grand Final with a settled, healthy, in form lineup

If SDK gets another game this year there's either been an injury, suspension or we are changing a winning formula

True but ideal situation from here is commanding victory Saturday and heading into the Grand Final with a settled, healthy, in form lineup

If SDK gets another game this year there's either been an injury, suspension or we are changing a winning formula
Or Rhys has an ordinary game, pulls up a little sore with only the weeks break and they feel SDK might be a better match up for Grundy.

Am I the only one who’s not nervous?! I don’t know if that’s a good thing either bc in the past when I’ve felt this way we’ve lost and when I’ve been a tad nervous, we win!
Zero nerves whatsoever.
Wasn't overly confident before the qualifying final especially once Stewart was out. Once that game was won though all nerves disappeared and the Brisbane v GWS game did nothing to bring them back.

Exactly the same thing happened 2 years ago. No idea what would happen against Collingwood but once we won, I had no doubt at all we would win the whole thing

Ok. I know this is 2 weeks old…but I had missed it. And watching it now just fired me up a bit. Wishing away Friday already…go cats

Tuohy has more versatility than Bews and the decision to drop him is frankly bewildering as he is the ideal sub. Bews was very poor against Port with Rioli running rings around him in the first half. It was no wonder Champion Data had him as our worst performer on the night.

Charlie Cameron will be licking his lips... another opportunity to do a number on Bewsy.
Rioli had 8 touches and 1 goal for the entire match. Even if all of those were in the first half, I wouldn't call it running rings around his opponent

MOC makes it 7

I forgot about him, and when I was writing something earlier I had also forgotten about both Rohan & Parfitt also

So that’s a third of our premiership team from just two years that that are still on our list & potentially available for selection but not in our prelim team - as mentioned elsewhere, we’ve also had a couple of retirees so it’s like 9 of them missing

That’s some turnover of players in less than 2 years and we’re playing off in a prelim

How can you not love this club and their approach each & every year - sure, we get the odd year like 2023 where things don’t go out way, but the list management team, coaches & players do everything they can to put us in a position to compete year in year out, even when turning over the list and bringin the next gen of players through

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I forgot about him, and when I was writing something earlier I had also forgotten about both Rohan & Parfitt also

So that’s a third of our premiership team from just two years that that are still on our list & potentially available for selection but not in our prelim team - as mentioned elsewhere, we’ve also had a couple of retirees so it’s like 9 of them missing

That’s some turnover of players in less than 2 years and we’re playing off in a prelim

How can you not love this club and their approach each & every year - sure, we get the odd year like 2023 where things don’t go out way, but the list management team, coaches & players do everything they can to put us in a position to compete year in year out, even when turning over the list and bringin the next gen of players through
I think the next 5 years are gonna be alright, long said that all you want as a supporter is to be in with a chance and have crack each year. Futures looking bright no doubt. Cliff is as far away as it’s ever been IMO.

Cats selection policy is simple:-
Play well, you stay in the team.
Play only fit and in form players.
Select players for a specific job.
Make a late change if required.
Resist emotional decisions.

Bews stays to mind Charlie

Mullin is exceptionally quick
Disciplined and effective tagger
Better suited for chaos footy.

SDK's VFL form was average at best
Blitz and Stanley are playing well
Don't fix what ain't broken

SDK potential late change
Touhy as emergency shows respect
Clohesy: recognition encouragement

Lions have named injured players
Coach is worried and desperate
Potential to backfire is a big risk

I thought Knevitt would have made it to the emergency list after our last VFL final, but his elbow has been heavily strapped in training photos this past week which may have worked against him

I absolutely don't mind Clohesy as an emergency - one tough nut
Clohesy is tough but lacks polish. Knevitt might just have turned the corner in his last 2 VFL games. He dominated. Amazed he's not an emergency for the prelim. I expect him to play a lot of AFL games in 2025.

I’m not actually disagreeing with the decision. I think Mullin was excellent against the Power and provides a lockdown option if needed. His game is also all of a sudden progressing exponentially.
Progressing yes. Exponentially? Probably not… Still a lot of upside though.
I think he would be wasted if he remains just a stopper, but I see that it is a good way to plug him into the game

Progressing yes. Exponentially? Probably not… Still a lot of upside though.
I think he would be wasted if he remains just a stopper, but I see that it is a good way to plug him into the game

I reckon he's taken enormous strides in the last couple of months. The handballing to a teammate a metre away is gone, he's much better by foot and his reading of the play and running patterns are also much improved.

Tuohy out is a tough but correct call.

But mullin (albeit he is probably sub) and bews in a final make me very nervous with their errors-i would have picked sdk.

Its interesting bc i think we need sdk for the swans if we make it that far-but bringing him in cold would be a huge call.

My main concern is McInerney including his marking around the ground. If Stanley has an off night then Blicavs will be forced to do a lot of ruckwork leaving us exposed down back. That is why I favoured SDK to come in. The selectors have gone for the extra small in Mullin. He is yet to have a breakout game. Saturday would be the time to do it. More rain is expected tomorrow and some early morning rain on Saturday. By 5:15pm the ground should be ok but a bit on the soft side. It could favour the talls. I'm guessing they fed SDK's name into the computer and the computer said NO.

Last edited:
Tuohy is the ideal sub for me. A fresh Touhy can cause damage with his long kicking and potential to hit the scoreboard. Bews is not an impact player, nor is Mullin. As subs they would be wasted. I don't think a late change is out of the question.

My main concern is McInerney. If Stanley has an off night then Blicavs will be doing a lot of ruckwork leaving us exposed down back. That is why I favoured SDK to come in. The selectors have gone for the extra small in Mullin. He is yet to have a breakout game. Saturday would be the time to do it. More rain is expected tomorrow and some early morning rain on Saturday. By 5:15pm the ground should be ok but a bit on the soft side. It could favour the talls. I'm guessing they fed SDK's name into the computer and the computer said NO.
IN MC WE TRUST.

I only learned that one from you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back