2nd Test: Australia v South Africa, Port Elizabeth, February 20-24th

Remove this Banner Ad

For me - the real turning point was Doolan's attitude at the crease. To chase a big score like that you need a few things to go your way, but you also need to be positive. They were already a bowler down (Parnell) and Warner was taking to Morne Morkel like Cosgrove takes to the McDonalds Loose-Change Menu. As soon as Warner gets out, Doolan comes in and allows bowlers to just bowl at him. Terrible approach.

South Africa's bowling attack is elite, it's the best in the world. But just like any other attack - you can buckle them if you get on top. Instead we let them bowl at us, and after that they were like wolves, circling, snarling.
:thumbsu:

For me - the real turning point was Doolan's attitude at the crease. To chase a big score like that you need a few things to go your way, but you also need to be positive. They were already a bowler down (Parnell) and Warner was taking to Morne Morkel like Cosgrove takes to the McDonalds Loose-Change Menu. As soon as Warner gets out, Doolan comes in and allows bowlers to just bowl at him. Terrible approach.

South Africa's bowling attack is elite, it's the best in the world. But just like any other attack - you can buckle them if you get on top. Instead we let them bowl at us, and after that they were like wolves, circling, snarling.

Doolan played the way Doolan plays, in that respect he is very similar to Rogers, very patient. He's never going to play like Warner (that's not his go) and to ask him to do so in Test #2 I think is a bit of a stretch. The Saffers bowled very well and depending upon who you listen to, Smiths plan was to get thru to a period with part timers and then have the big 3 ready for when the ball started to reverse. History says he got it right.

It could have been over a lot earlier, Rogers nicked an awful ball not long after Warner went out and no one reviewed it. Shaun Marsh had a horror test, not his first - iff the ball is tailing into you as left hander then it's probably the ball you don't want straight up. I have a theory (actually I have many) but the first ball for all players if perfectly bowled will get most batsman out because you have no prior acclimtasation. Shaun fished at one in the first and fell over one in the second, suddenly after glorious games in Test 1, both are in the gun for the saviour in Test 3.

Someone earlier commented about Clarke in rearguard's - I can't think of too many / any saves that he has been involved in, I think that's predominantly because of the free flowing nature of the way he plays, Smithh appeared to be Marsh MkII and Haddin again played the way he knows going hard at it.

Of all the sins, Rogers run out was probably the most crucial - if he stays in his crease we are probably 8 down and doing rain dances tonight - instead we are back to looking for answers.

Cricket is a game that you never stop learning.

Gutted that is all.

Not over yet though.

MJ needs a rest ,so do the other bowlers.
Hope they get a lie down and a massage while the batsmen work on their technique and why we mentally succumbed so easily.

Anyhow they gave us the perfect Ashes series and we have the urn so we can't be too brattish.
Naaa bugger this,I want a Saffies series win,only for the fact it's us against the World.

Cmon Aussies ,stick it up em!

We lost it when Warner and Rogers played their part timers like they were Shane Warne. Should have belted them out of the attack, and worn out Steyn before it went reverse.

Like someone else asked, are they allowed to play for an hour past normal scheduled time?

I get that half an hour was the extended play, but can they add that extended half hour to the half hour that they already went over schedule.

3.2 Extra Time

The umpires may decide to play 30 minutes (a minimum of eight overs) extra time at the end of any day (other than the last day) if requested by either captain if, in the umpires opinion, it would bring about a definite result on that day (this is in addition to the maximum one hour's extra time provided for in 3.1 (a) (iii) above). If the umpires do not believe a result can be achieved no extra time shall be allowed.

Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for your excuses.

Wake up this morning hoping to be maybe 4 or 5 down, and hear the news that we lost 10 for bloody 90 runs.
Rogers and Warner looked so comfortable when I turned the TV off last night.
For the guys that have seen the wickets, did we give 'em away or were there some absolute jaffas in amongst them?

Some jaffas for sure. Some poor shots too. And the most unbelievably brain-dead piece of running you will ever see in those circumstances.

Fact: We don't have 6 international standard batsmen in our country. Get used to it guys.

Nail. Head. Hit.

Just a few weeks ago, we (myself included) were lauding Haddin's efforts in the Ashes. And why was that? Because in every test, he came in at 5 for eff-all and produced his rescue act.

Our top six has been a disaster for years!

Last edited:
I dont think this is going to be a revelation to most here but i'm going to say it anyway.

The "Test Batsman" is a dying (if not dead) breed in Australia. As soon as "The Big Bash" started, The EPBC Act upgraded it from "Endangered" to "Critically Endangered", and when it was announced that the Sheffield Shield season would be shortened it was upgraded from "Critically Endangered" to "Extinct in the Wild"

All the current elite level test batsman: Amla, AB De V, Clarke, Sanga, Misbah, Pujara were raised on stuff alot less commercially digestable then T20 cricket and this is reflected in their longevity at the top of the pile and there overall record.

Until we go back to investing in our own domestic long-form competition we will be forever without capable test batsmen.

For what it's worth - we aren't the only country struggling from the change in pace of the game. Look at SA debutant Quinton De Kock. Three centuries in a row in ODIs. His first innings of test cricket and he caught at midoff charging down the pitch and hitting a ball with one hand. Second innings he is trying to late-cut a spinner out of Brad Haddin's gloves and guides it straight to first-slip. Lunacy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think this is going to be a revelation to most here but i'm going to say it anyway.

The "Test Batsman" is a dying (if not dead) breed in Australia. As soon as "The Big Bash" started, The EPBC Act upgraded it from "Endangered" to "Critically Endangered", and when it was announced that the Sheffield Shield season would be shortened it was upgraded from "Critically Endangered" to "Extinct in the Wild"

All the current elite level test batsman: Amla, AB De V, Clarke, Sanga, Misbah, Pujara were raised on stuff alot less commercially digestable then T20 cricket and this is reflected in their longevity at the top of the pile and there overall record.

Until we go back to investing in our own domestic long-form competition we will be forever without capable test batsmen.

For what it's worth - we aren't the only country struggling from the change in pace of the game. Look at SA debutant Quinton De Kock. Three centuries in a row in ODIs. His first innings of test cricket and he caught at midoff charging down the pitch and hitting a ball with one hand. Second innings he is trying to late-cut a spinner out of Brad Haddin's gloves and guides it straight to first-slip. Lunacy.
Which it hasn't been

Clarke is a flat track bully has done nothing against decent pace attacks, can destroy bowling attacks like the Indian's etc but turns to jelly when up against anything of quality.
Is this the same Clarke that made back to back double tons vs the South African's two years ago?

Clarke is class, in bad form but he will come back into it soon.

I love an angry Dale Steyn :)
Looking at it from a non bias view, jeez last night was a great bowling display.

Clarke's always been a rollercoaster but will always back.

And for all calling for Watto's head - this is what happens when he's not in the squad. I'd rather a string of mediocre performances by him mixed in with the odd big one than whatever Marsh will dish up. Doolan should never have been blooded at 3, put him at 6 for the next Test and let someone who's got 50 Tests behind him have first drop.

The issue is on this pitch our best two reverse swing bowlers are Pattinson and Watson. One was injured, one wasn't picked. Siddle is walking a tghtrope before getting dropped in my view. Watson WILL come in, we can't have Warner bowling pies!

Changes: Watson in, Doolan OUT.

Clarke's always been a rollercoaster but will always back.

And for all calling for Watto's head - this is what happens when he's not in the squad. I'd rather a string of mediocre performances by him mixed in with the odd big one than whatever Marsh will dish up. Doolan should never have been blooded at 3, put him at 6 for the next Test and let someone who's got 50 Tests behind him have first drop.

Yes, Clarke has always been something of a roller coaster and, yes, he should bounce back. Having said that, he'll be 33 in a month and it could be (not saying it is, just could) the beginning of his gradual decline as he enters his twilight. As I've said before, just as it is with footballers, some begin to lose that 5% edge needed to stay at the top when they're 30, some lose it around 34/35 and some - the very rare ones - manage on til they're 37 or beyond.

It remains to be seen which one Pup is. All I'm suggesting is that, at 33, there's no guarantee he'll return to the dizzy heights of 2-3 years ago. Oh, and then there's his back, which doesn't help matters. Now, prove me wrong Pup!

------------------------------------

First drop has been a problem since Ponting's gradual decline. In the archives of this board (7-8 years ago), I made the point that Ponting's greatness wouldn't be truly appreciated until we returned to the days of turning over player after player in search of a stable number 3.

I agree that new players to the team shouldn't be blooded at number 3 and 4. As frustrating as Watto can be, I'll give him credit for one thing. He's always been prepared to bat up the order - at first drop if necessary - which is more than you can say for some better credentialed teammates. Watson's ability to get reverse swing would have been bloody handy too.

Watched the highlights, some great bowling but at the same time some terrible batting and shot selection.

No one could face Steyn, all getting done by the swing, we're useless against it, have no answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with what Doolan did wasn't that he allowed them to bowl at him. He actually went at the bowlers outside off, but not with any conviction whatsoever. He should of left the ball with authority outside off and waited for them to bowl on his pads or in his zones.

Australia left the ball so well in the first test (which is the reason why they won imo along with Johnson) but the batsmen played at everything outside off in the 2nd test almost as if they believed their own hype after the 1st test and threw patience out the window.

If we go back to leaving the ball well and asking the South African bowlers to bowl at us the performance should improve in the 3rd test.

Last edited:
Yes, Clarke has always been something of a roller coaster and, yes, he should bounce back. Having said that, he'll be 33 in a month and it could be (not saying it is, just could) the beginning of his gradual decline as he enters his twilight. As I've said before, just as it is with footballers, some begin to lose that 5% edge needed to stay at the top when they're 30, some lose it around 34/35 and some - the very rare ones - manage on til they're 37 or beyond.

It remains to be seen which one Pup is. All I'm suggesting is that, at 33, there's no guarantee he'll return to the dizzy heights of 2-3 years ago. Oh, and then there's his back, which doesn't help matters. Now, prove me wrong Pup!

Tubby Taylor had his infamous form slump around the same age, was lucky to recover and then pulled up stumps (one of the best timed retirements you will see). Age? 34. Not that far away from where Clarke could be pulling up stumps. Will really depend how Steve "captain in waiting" Smith goes. Would probably help if he doesn't keep getting dodgy decisions and corker balls like his did this test.

No one could face Steyn, all getting done by the swing, we're useless against it, have no answer.

We've never been able to play reverse swing, and the Saffas were getting seriously late movement late night. Not really that surprising we got skittled in hindsight. Only guys who have been good at playing reverse swing were Punter (at his peak) and Hayden. Clarke has always been rubbish when the ball moves late, look at him in the 2005 ashes.

The issue is on this pitch our best two reverse swing bowlers are Pattinson and Watson. One was injured, one wasn't picked. Siddle is walking a tghtrope before getting dropped in my view. Watson WILL come in, we can't have Warner bowling pies!

Changes: Watson in, Doolan OUT.
for me it would be marsh out, but its probably a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd Test: Australia v South Africa, Port Elizabeth, February 20-24th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back