Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

I think so, not sure why he is finding himself at times manning a much more agile opponent.

I don't think in packs he's in trouble, but on the lead. The difference is Magoo wouldn't put himself in that place.

McKay, as dumb as he is, had the rat cunning not to chase after a player once they got 5 metres in front of him, but to stand next to someone else instead.

I think so, not sure why he is finding himself at times manning a much more agile opponent.

I don't think in packs he's in trouble, but on the lead. The difference is Magoo wouldn't put himself in that place.
Intercepting is his role. He'll be peeling off his opponent all all opportunities. Get Logue back there with him....

Darcy Moore gets his arse kick at times when he has to defend. But they take due to the offence he creates.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So every man and his dog are into our Charlie, good ****ing luck, as we say !

KInd of nice us having our big strong KP garnering so much interest. We don't get a lot of attention from other clubs.
He's going to be a star.

When does his contract expire.

End of 2025. Doesn't qualify for free agency.

IF the plan was to definitively play Comben forward next year, then it makes no sense to be blooding him and throwing games into him as a forward this year. We're last on the ladder. There's no risk or downside with moves like this.

Meanwhile, Comben looks significantly better in defense than he ever did forward. He's not a great kick and he's a pretty poor set shot. This works for a defender. Much less so for a forward.

He donā€™t have an option. We have no elite tall forwards coming through, we have been very very stiff at the draft just havenā€™t had access . Canā€™t succeed without a second one and Chom is our best option.
Thatā€™s coming from the top.

Well we donā€™t have many key defenders coming out of our backside averaging top 5 numbers in most stats for key defenders

We have an AA FF, we just need to support him.

AN AA CHB would much better for this side than a B grade CHF who kicks 25-30 goals per season.

He donā€™t have an option. We have no elite tall forwards coming through, we have been very very stiff at the draft just havenā€™t had access . Canā€™t succeed without a second one and Chom is our best option.
Thatā€™s coming from the top.
I personally dont recall him ever showing any elite traits as a CHF. My memory might be shot but I donā€™t recall him clunking the marks and running off his man like he has been.

I think heā€™s a better CHB than CHF.

I think some of you lot have forgotten the importance of having 2 decent KPF.

There is no reason Charlie wouldnā€™t be successful as a KPF. Heā€™s strong asf. Can mark and is a tad nasty. The perfect specimen for that role.

Now Iā€™m not as hellbent on him going fwd as long as we have a secondary target.

I think some of you lot have forgotten the importance of having 2 decent KPF.

There is no reason Charlie wouldnā€™t be successful as a KPF. Heā€™s strong asf. Can mark and is a tad nasty. The perfect specimen for that role.

Now Iā€™m not as hellbent on him going fwd as long as we have a secondary target.

Every top side in the comp has an elite defender.

Logue is a very good one, but heā€™s more suited to the 2nd or 3rd defender. He does not belong in the conversation with Andrews, Moore, Taylor.

Statistically Chom does.

Elite CHBā€™s are 100% more sought after than key forwards at the minute by list managers.

Not only do they have to defend, but scores are generated as much by intercept defenders as they are forwards at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back