Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

In order for us to become a finals competitive team, we have to genuinely move past the likes of Corr and McDonald altogether. No players' development should be hamstrung by these two.

they are essential to the team to transition us to the next era, you need players like them in the team.

once again, no, corr is in career best form in defense.

This is career best???

Oh Lord Wtf GIF

they are essential to the team to transition us to the next era, you need players like them in the team.

Not when they keep stuffing up and sapping momentum as well as not standing up when needed most.

Ideally at this point in time, i'd like our 3 talls to be Comben, K. Dawson and Logue when he's ready to return.

Bergman > L Mac

Elite CHB’s are 100% more sought after than key forwards at the minute by list managers.

Not only do they have to defend, but scores are generated as much by intercept defenders as they are forwards at the moment.

I'm not sure that's the consensus in the industry.

Gone are the days of CHFs not defending. You need them to be a threat and to stop that intercept. Only have to take a look at what Larkey did to Moore.

Elite. Dominated the Melbourne forward line tonight.

How good is it to have a key back who’s prepared to come off his man to intercept and then look to move it on at speed.

As opposed to one to stands next to his man and watches the world go by. And whe he does mark it, he stands there scratching his nuts for 20 seconds and kicks it 15m sideways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m gonna be pissed if he decides in the off-season he wants to return to the forward line.

Look at your talents mate. There aren’t many who can intercept better than you. Just accept it.

I wonder if the plan to move him forward has changed. Did they actually expect him to be this good down back?

Playing those 5 a litle too tall?
For sure but it's a good, balanced group to have in the list of 45 in consideration of injuries and succession planning. Will Dawson at 18 and developing, Corr at 30 closer to the end. And match up flexibility - eg v Carlton. Logue can play on gorillas.

Down the track, Will Dawson and Comben with versatility to play elsewhere. Logue played some good games for Freo forward.

From where we were, it's come a long way.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he has some time off after Logue returns. If shoulder is fixable do it now. We’ll miss him, but has proven he’s a gun and Logue will fill the gap while he’s out until he’s 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back