Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Just about fully recovered now, will be progressing pre-Christmas, then into full training post-Christmas.

Has added a little bit of size, and has been doing a tonne of conditioning work (limited on ground running however).

Josh & the club are confident he'll come back better than ever.

Just about fully recovered now, will be progressing pre-Christmas, then into full training post-Christmas.

Has added a little bit of size, and has been doing a tonne of conditioning work (limited on ground running however).

If he escapes this injury without long term issues, that’s about as good news as there is.

Massive piece of our future. Feels like the average NMFC supporter is sleeping on him, but he's got massive potential.
Agreed he is very underrated in my opinion. 2022 I had him on Supercoach and thought he would be a cash cow. Dude was pulling solid rookie numbers but not for supercoach, never again unless he becomes like a SicDog 🤣🤣

Great news. I wonder if the club still sees him as a defender.

Me seeing this thread bumped
Denzel Washington Reaction GIF

Really hopeful he comes back and hasnt lost anything, has agility and speed off the charts. Could be a real match winner if he puts it all together.
Without looking at any raw numbers, I would say he could be the quickest player on the list over 20 - 30 meters. Colby is quick but I think Josh has him covered.

There was a play in a pre season game, maybe 2023 where Sheez dished him a handball on the defensive 50 and he was gone like the flash. If we could get that consistent rebound from 50 with speed.... I dare to dream

Really hopeful he comes back and hasnt lost anything, has agility and speed off the charts. Could be a real match winner if he puts it all together.
Without looking at any raw numbers, I would say he could be the quickest player on the list over 20 - 30 meters. Colby is quick but I think Josh has him covered.

There was a play in a pre season game, maybe 2023 where Sheez dished him a handball on the defensive 50 and he was gone like the flash. If we could get that consistent rebound from 50 with speed.... I dare to dream
Can't recall a single player post achillies that didn't lose some acceleration.

Geez you must be a hoot at parties. ;)
Just a realist mate, there's a lot of rose coloured glasses with some of our players. EVW, Bergman and Perez was the best! All half backs that showed **** all but for some reason people loved them. Goater looks a great athlete, some of that will now be diminished. That is a fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The recovery for achilles injuries has improved exponentially the last few years. If they have got the surgery right there is every chance he can be as good as he was.

Will Claye, US triple jumper tore his in 2019 (think he was 28?) and came back to come 4th at the Olympics in 2021 jumping 17.44.

If there is an event in the world that will smash your achilles more than any other, it is triple jump. It is a brutal sport on your joints. Requires ridiculous power to jump over 17m.

If Will Claye can do that, then Josh Goater can too.

That's one example. You'll see more and more athletes doing this too from now on. 10 years ago, yes, career limiter if not ender. The science behind recovery is better today than it was in 2019 as well.

Time will tell, but I am optimistic he will be as good as he was before.

The recovery for achilles injuries has improved exponentially the last few years. If they have got the surgery right there is every chance he can be as good as he was.

Will Claye, US triple jumper tore his in 2019 (think he was 28?) and came back to come 4th at the Olympics in 2021 jumping 17.44.

If there is an event in the world that will smash your achilles more than any other, it is triple jump. It is a brutal sport on your joints. Requires ridiculous power to jump over 17m.

That's one example. You'll see more and more athletes doing this too from now on. 10 years ago, yes, career limiter if not ender. The science behind recovery is better today than it was in 2019 as well.

I'm currently doing an Achilles conditioning block and fuark me the triple jump is brutal on it.

Hopefully we got the best of the best for the Goat.

Great news - he's got the potential to be an absolute weapon.

Hopefully we got the best of the best for the Goat.

I'm reaching the limits of my understanding here, but it is the technique they use for the repair. Lots of advancements where the incision is smaller, the risk to surrounding nerves is less (or non-existent), lower risk of infection, the tendon fully heals, the time to recommence loading is a lot less and patients generally report positively as to lingering pain, function and strength etc. Of course, everyone responds differently but from all reports Josh is progressing well.

Achilles injury hardly dampened Jack White or Ariel Hukporti's athleticism coming back the next year in the NBL.

His athleticism won't be affected as much since he's a lighter frame.

Once he hits the gym and gets super fit, the Achilles injury will be a thing of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back