Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Steinberg needed a huge year last year or he was gone. But he got a second chance.

I reckon this is Colyer's make or break year. I'm a fan so I hope he does well.
Two completely different cases. Steinberg is a project player that needs time to develop in his second year and Colyer is in his 4th season and hasn't cemented a spot in the side

Colyer has no issue with his tank - It's all about decision-making - That is slowing down before kicking - If he can master this and it's a big IF - He can be a 100 game player. Hoping for the best.

Gotta say, if he doesn't make a spot in the side his this year we'd be better off getting rid of him. If he can't improve between now and the end of the season, he's unlikely to improve enough over the course of a long career. If he's going to be depth, well surely we're better off using a developing player with upside as depth rather than giving a perennial 2s player that role.

Colyer has no issue with his tank - It's all about decision-making - That is slowing down before kicking - If he can master this and it's a big IF - He can be a 100 game player. Hoping for the best.
He hasn't played a full game in the midfield his tank is that bad. It needs developing

needs to grow his tank. He obviously isn't a natural small forward and I wouldn't back him in defence, too skinny, so he needs to grow his tank and become a better midfielder

There was some discussion quite a while back about Colyer playing a fair bit of his junior footy as a small forward. With Davey apparently not convincing TRB, Dell still only on the rookie list and Winderlich, unfortunately, only ever a moment away from injury there is definitely room for another small forward to play alongside Jetta. I see it as being his best way into the side.

I still think that the biggest problem with his game is that he has very little physical impact on a game. Not being able to take advantage of his run aside, there isn't a whole lot of chasing pressure from a guy that should be able to catch almost anyone. When you combine that lack of physicality with a few instances of him simply being moved off the ball it's pretty hard to see him ever really being in TRB's favour.

A few solid defensive games as a small forward with a goal here and there and things could look quite different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't played a full game in the midfield his tank is that bad. It needs developing

Neither has Jake Carlisle, nor Leroy Jetta. What a ridiculously dumb comment.

His tank is fine for this stage of his career.

Gets to many contests and repeat efforts are up to scratch.

Problem is, he is so far behind so many of our midfielders, both skill wise and body wise, it will be tough. I honestly can't see him making the grade.

I think it's over rated how far he's behind in both catagories.

He's put on a heap of size over the last 3 years and is now a ball of muscle. He's never going to be tall but he makes up for that in other areas.

He sprays the ball here and there. As does Stanton, Watson, Jetta, NLM, Heppell, etc etc etc. I think more has been made of his kicking difficiences than what they really are.

That was an issue with Stanton early in his career not taking time to compose himself before kicking. Hopefully Coyler can over come it...
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Coyler put to much weight on over last pre season for a player that generally plays as a outside ball winner?

That was an issue with Stanton early in his career not taking time to compose himself before kicking. Hopefully Coyler can over come it...
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Coyler put to much weight on over last pre season for a player that generally plays as a outside ball winner?

He and Melksham were totally stuffed up by the weights program last year. Funny thing was, it made Melksham more durable and Colyer less.

He and Melksham were totally stuffed up by the weights program last year. Funny thing was, it made Melksham more durable and Colyer less.
Myers, who has been too big for someone who has been injury plagued and looking to play midfield looked a lot more in portion to an afl midfielder on Friday night. Lets hope the other two are following..

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back