Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

wow...i was at the game and this guy was worst on ground by a mile!
he just runs around, presents himself and turns the ball over. pretends to lay a tackle like a 2 yr old!

Our stars carried him and JGTI all these years and now their skill level is exposed

He’s in the same boat Conca was when he left, I don’t see us offering 3+ year deal so hopefully there’s a club out there that will offer him that & we take the free agent compo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s in the same boat Conca was when he left, I don’t see us offering 3+ year deal so hopefully there’s a club out there that will offer him that & we take the free agent compo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
anyone would be crazy to offer him more than 1.

Maybe a WA team will come knocking with a 2 year deal. Average skilled role player.

He’s been a great role player when the system has been working. His hard running and halving contests on the fat side has been vital to our game plan working.

Unfortunately the game plans either changed or broken and he’s been exposed.

The time is right for Banks to take his spot.

Been a fantastic servant of the club and will remember him fondly as a cog in our dynasty teams.

I honestly don't think McIntosh would be in many teams best 22.

He's skills are horrendous & he fumbles a lot.

191cm and 90 odd kgs. Depends what teams are after. Markov gets a game at Collingwood but not at the Gold Coast.

Wasn’t the worst on Sunday. The whole team was just booting it.

191cm and 90 odd kgs. Depends what teams are after. Markov gets a game at Collingwood but not at the Gold Coast.

Wasn’t the worst on Sunday. The whole team was just booting it.
That is true, but like all role players, they are valuable in a great side and get exposed in an average on because they come under more pressure and start to play with less conviction. During our Premierhip years our role players were all great assets, but they are getting weeded out because they are required to play in more pressure situations where the opposition are often better than us and they get exposed.

Castagna was the best example, good player at his peak, but couldn't survive with his skill level. Caddy's lack of pace, got him. Graham is on the edge because he can't win his own ball. Even Grimes is stuttering, who as you acknowledged in an earlier post has always had deficiencies. MacIntosh is a bit like Castagna, but due to his size, running ability and physicality is still handy.

We are being undercut this year by our skill level, or rather the skill level of the sides above us is better than us. The Saints kicking on the weekend cut us to pieces. We need to play Banks, Brown, Coulthard, Sonsie (normally not this year but it will be back) and a few others because they set up play with their kicking. They are developing and should be ready next season, and they will take the spots of the role players.

That is true, but like all role players, they are valuable in a great side and get exposed in an average on because they come under more pressure and start to play with less conviction. During our Premierhip years our role players were all great assets, but they are getting weeded out because they are required to play in more pressure situations where the opposition are often better than us and they get exposed.

Castagna was the best example, good player at his peak, but couldn't survive with his skill level. Caddy's lack of pace, got him. Graham is on the edge because he can't win his own ball. Even Grimes is stuttering, who as you acknowledged in an earlier post has always had deficiencies. MacIntosh is a bit like Castagna, but due to his size, running ability and physicality is still handy.

We are being undercut this year by our skill level, or rather the skill level of the sides above us is better than us. The Saints kicking on the weekend cut us to pieces. We need to play Banks, Brown, Coulthard, Sonsie (normally not this year but it will be back) and a few others because they set up play with their kicking. They are developing and should be ready next season, and they will take the spots of the role players.

And when we start losing we all think our role players have lost form.

You can change your role players till the cows come home and it won’t mean anything if the guys with the plum roles aren’t cutting it. ( mid field … key forward …key backs.)

Castanga is an example of not appreciating what a 35.5km player that used all his speed all the time meant to the team.

You can change your role players till the cows come home and it won’t mean anything if the guys with the plum roles aren’t cutting it. ( mid field … key forward …key backs.)

Castanga is an example of not appreciating what a 35.5km player that used all his speed all the time meant to the team.
We used to be critical of Castanga but I think we missed him this year

You can have role players but you need to evolve your game plan because that is the way footy works. Right now kicking and pace seem premiums requirements. The Saints kicking on the weekend got them out of so much trouble, we thought we had them and they dropped it with a beautifully weighted ball in between our players. It happened time and time again.

We have precious few who can do that. You can see what Martin brings when he is kicking. Banks is a very nice kick,. Brown is even better. Sonsie has lost his boot a bit but it will come back and all three and have decent toe. If we can up our skill level we will be a better side.

I never bash players but try to give a fair assessment. I have always liked MacIntosh as I can see his worth, but he was awful by foot on the weekend. He is not the future anymore as good a servant as he has been. Same with Graham. They have always been bottom 5-8 players, right now they might be lower. What is the objection with trying new players in their place. Besides Young and lately Ross, we have not blooded a young player that is getting regular games since Balta. That's about 5 years. When are young players going to get a fair crack at it. Banks did not deserve to get dropped. Ross was dropped 4 weeks ago with a lucky reprieve and has been very good before and after. You always have to turn over your weakest links, that is just football.

And Castagna was a valuable player 2017-20, but became a liability with his poor skills in his last few years. He did run fast and chase, the only thing that kept him in the side for two years. Not sure that is good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amongst other things our foot skills have let us down badly this year, the last thing we needed was George adding to those woes.
Thanks to him for the role he played in the Premiership years but he was done and dusted at the end of 2022.

You can have role players but you need to evolve your game plan because that is the way footy works. Right now kicking and pace seem premiums requirements. The Saints kicking on the weekend got them out of so much trouble, we thought we had them and they dropped it with a beautifully weighted ball in between our players. It happened time and time again.

We have precious few who can do that. You can see what Martin brings when he is kicking. Banks is a very nice kick,. Brown is even better. Sonsie has lost his boot a bit but it will come back and all three and have decent toe. If we can up our skill level we will be a better side.

I never bash players but try to give a fair assessment. I have always liked MacIntosh as I can see his worth, but he was awful by foot on the weekend. He is not the future anymore as good a servant as he has been. Same with Graham. They have always been bottom 5-8 players, right now they might be lower. What is the objection with trying new players in their place. Besides Young and lately Ross, we have not blooded a young player that is getting regular games since Balta. That's about 5 years. When are young players going to get a fair crack at it. Banks did not deserve to get dropped. Ross was dropped 4 weeks ago with a lucky reprieve and has been very good before and after. You always have to turn over your weakest links, that is just football.

And Castagna was a valuable player 2017-20, but became a liability with his poor skills in his last few years. He did run fast and chase, the only thing that kept him in the side for two years. Not sure that is good enough.

Martin went at 61%. Hit a defender 30m on his own.
Our number 1 midfielder is allowed to slam it on his boot and went at 54%.
Our number 1 defender got towelled up and got 6 kicked against him.
We don’t have a forward.

Replacing our role players with skinny kids who at the moment need to thread the needle to hit a forward will be interesting but looks to me they are physically up against it.

What is the strategy??

Why not let the kids replace the stars??

Have premiership windows been factored in.

It is easy to say dump Kamdyn because he is not a star but what is the rationale??

We are not here conveyor belt stars we are here to win premierships are we not.

So if it is little difference if Kamdyn stays or goes why not keep him?

yeah I miss him with him in the side at least i could have understood our downfall now I'm just dumbfounded lol

2017 was peak RFC small forwards. Pace, pressure. Marking and goal kicking too. With rule changes to kick in after points and stand, RFC style small fwds, lost their power. Rioli moved to the backline and saved his career. Butler & Higgins left the club. George's goal kicking was always problematic 5 behinds in a GFinal. I had a front row seat to the Gold Coast loss. Richmond supporters were groaning as George tried kicking around the corner, or starting his approach with his back to the goal. So many misses. MRJ & Cumberland played that game. George finally dropped. I would have put him on the wing & had a look 191 cm KMac fwd.
Start of this season Mansell and MRJ get the job. MRJ lost his ability over summer
Cumberland lost his spot to Dusty and or Mansell.
As if we haven't got enough small fwds, we magically pull a Coulthard rabbit out of the hat and play him.
While we refuse to draft KPP players. Young has been a revelation and we might need rookie one of our VFL KPFs.

Mini's devotion to the players and the game plan he inherited has resulted in bad losses. I guess trying Soldo and Nank is something, Dow, Bauer & Coulthard getting games

We win a lot of stats . VS Stkilda the Centre clearances but manage to kick 8 goals. I dunno it just looks like we have no system at all.

Best 22 Cotch & Jack off the list.

Ryan over Soldo, Lynch Bauer and Gibcus up fwd for starters.

In my opinion the club should tell him to look for opportunities elsewhere we want to go in another direction & have players we want to play in your spot.

People don't realize the club can delist you if they pay them out it happened Jared Polec, I suspect we don't do that because he is a Premiership player.
But I don't see any disrespect in asking him to look elsewhere "look we will keep you if you can't find a home" but you might be playing a lot of VFL next year.

2017 was peak RFC small forwards. Pace, pressure. Marking and goal kicking too. With rule changes to kick in after points and stand, RFC style small fwds, lost their power. Rioli moved to the backline and saved his career. Butler & Higgins left the club. George's goal kicking was always problematic 5 behinds in a GFinal. I had a front row seat to the Gold Coast loss. Richmond supporters were groaning as George tried kicking around the corner, or starting his approach with his back to the goal. So many misses. MRJ & Cumberland played that game. George finally dropped. I would have put him on the wing & had a look 191 cm KMac fwd.
Start of this season Mansell and MRJ get the job. MRJ lost his ability over summer
Cumberland lost his spot to Dusty and or Mansell.
As if we haven't got enough small fwds, we magically pull a Coulthard rabbit out of the hat and play him.
While we refuse to draft KPP players. Young has been a revelation and we might need rookie one of our VFL KPFs.

Mini's devotion to the players and the game plan he inherited has resulted in bad losses. I guess trying Soldo and Nank is something, Dow, Bauer & Coulthard getting games

We win a lot of stats . VS Stkilda the Centre clearances but manage to kick 8 goals. I dunno it just looks like we have no system at all.

Best 22 Cotch & Jack off the list.

Ryan over Soldo, Lynch Bauer and Gibcus up fwd for starters.

Have we refused to draft key position players?

2017 - Balta 25 Coleman-Jones 20 Miller 63

2018 - nil

2019 - Nyuon 54

2020 - Ryan 40

2021 - Colina Cat B rookie, Gibcus 9

2022 - Bauer MSD, Bradtke SSP, Young rookie draft

So since Clarke took over as recruiting chief that seems to me to be 10 key position players in 6 years we have brought in through various drafting mechanisms. One with our only top 10 pick taken in that time, and two others with picks 20 & 25.

I think one of the issues with using good picks to draft these guys is the difficulty in getting the spot in the side to open up for them just when they are ready to take it. This is likely why we lost Coleman-Jones.

-----------------------------------------------

Let's do another exercise here. Key players drafted by any club with top 30 picks 2013-2017....

2013 Boyd 1, McCarthy 14, Apeness 17, Leslie 20, Gardiner 22, McStay 25, Lobb 29

2014 McCartin 1, Marchbank 6, Wright 8, D Moore 9(f/s), Lever 14, Durdin 16, Laverde 20, Goddard 21, Nielsen 25

2015 Weitering 1, Schache 2, Francis 6, Weideman 9, McKay 10, Curnow 12, Hipwood 14, Himmelberg 16, B McKay 21

2016 Logue 8, Marshall 16, English 19, Ridley 22, McLarty 30

2017 Naughton 9, Fogarty 12, Coleman-Jones 20, Allen 21, Balta 25, S Taylor 28, T DeKoning 30

I have bolded the players who you would say are a success for the club that drafted them. 14 of them from 37 top 30 picks.

And top 10 picks is a dire picture.

Pick 1 Boyd, McCartin, Weitering
Pick 2
Schache
Pick 3 Nil
Pick 4 Nil
Pick 5 Nil
Pick 6 Marchbank, Francis
Pick 7 Nil
Pick 8 Wright
Pick 9 Naughton D Moore(f/s)
Pick 10
McKay

4 have succeeded for the drafting club from 10 picks.

Martin went at 61%. Hit a defender 30m on his own.
Our number 1 midfielder is allowed to slam it on his boot and went at 54%.
Our number 1 defender got towelled up and got 6 kicked against him.
We don’t have a forward.

Replacing our role players with skinny kids who at the moment need to thread the needle to hit a forward will be interesting but looks to me they are physically up against it.
Missed this post earlier.
Martin always has had an element of hit and miss, but when they hit they are great. Somewhere in between would be fine.

I assume Taranto is the 54% man. I don't rate him as high as others do because of that factor. But still valuable for the hard work he does.

Balta got towelled up because the Saints rebound left him high and dry so. He normally takes the space and relies on his athleticism to make that ground up, but the Saints kicking was so good he could make up the ground. Also Mini can take a fair chunk of blame, Young as our stopper should have been on him first bounce.

We don't have a forward. Yup.

It's not only about replacing young players. Short could easily play wing. Pickett could go back and taken Mac's wing. Banks could be given a shot. Just because Mac has been a big physical winger, doesn't mean that is the only style we could play. Banks is a lovely kick, why might offset his lack of physicality. He has not been a liability physically down back. Daicos for Collingwood is young and not physical, he goes alright on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back