Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We have upped our offer (dollar and tenure) to get a better compensation pick. We know he won’t accept it, he knows he won’t accept it, the eagles know he won’t accept. It’s just to game the system a bit and get us a second round pick instead of a third or fourth round pick. Calm the farm all, he’ll be gone and we will be sitting pretty with pick 20

Relaxe people it's all to make WCE up their offer so we trigger Band 3 (pick 22 currently after the 2 NM priority picks from last year) Harley Reid is a solid gold jet who they can't afford to break down by using him as a workhorse. They need a couple of tractors to smash in and Graham can actually do that. Their salary cap would have plenty of space so they'll raise their offer to trigger Band 3. Reid's manager wants 10% of his 300 games salary not 150 games so he's gonna ensure WCE protect his meal ticket. The clubs dealing with Matty Clarke it'll all work itself out just like Tyrone Vickery became Shai Bolton. Have a little faith people.

We have upped our offer (dollar and tenure) to get a better compensation pick. We know he won’t accept it, he knows he won’t accept it, the eagles know he won’t accept. It’s just to game the system a bit and get us a second round pick instead of a third or fourth round pick. Calm the farm all, he’ll be gone and we will be sitting pretty with pick 20
Where is the source we've upped his dollars?

Relaxe people it's all to make WCE up their offer so we trigger Band 3 (pick 22 currently after the 2 NM priority picks from last year) Harley Reid is a solid gold jet who they can't afford to break down by using him as a workhorse. They need a couple of tractors to smash in and Graham can actually do that. Their salary cap would have plenty of space so they'll raise their offer to trigger Band 3. Reid's manager wants 10% of his 300 games salary not 150 games so he's gonna ensure WCE protect his meal ticket. The clubs dealing with Matty Clarke it'll all work itself out just like Tyrone Vickery became Shai Bolton. Have a little faith people.
But considering we know Matty Clarke so well couldnt Blair just call Matty and say
We want to keep Graham unless you buy me a $3 coffee ;)

Would we really need to go through this charade

But considering we know Matty Clarke so well couldnt Blair just call Matty and say
We want to keep Graham unless you buy me a $3 coffee ;)

Would we really need to go through this charade

WA, like SA is very insular and parochial. They tend to be pretty scathing of outsiders. Malthouse won them 2 flags and had 67% winning ratio and they still savaged him. Clarke is seen as the saviour, Bakers loved and a local boy he brings him big tick. Graham is a known plodder and only redeeming feature is he's a FA so won't cost draft picks. Clarke doesn't want to be seen as getting jobs for the boys and Tigers dumping ground. Footy language is lies and smoke and mirrors.

I hope he doesn't accept it, we should not be trying to retain him under any circumstances.

We are letting Bolton, Rioli & Baker who are all better players than Graham.
So you reckon Graham fits in with our old and slow mids, or maybe takes half forward role that he's had for so long. Look what happened when we finally backed a kid in over our usual wingman, Ralph Smith, he was a bright light in a dull season.

So many at our club and no doubt we will draft a swag of kids that we will need to revolve through that half forward mid position. Graham will just slow that process down, and we will pick up a good kid perhaps for him. Makes little sense to me to keep him even if he wasn't too bad this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL's benefit

Don't another Ellis situation.
It was sh.tty timing with the Ellis compo
GC had two PP’s and pushed everyone back down the line. It was easier for the AFL to give us a crap deal than have the other 16 clubs bumped three spots in the second Rnd because of their handouts to GC.

Didn’t he tag Rory Sloan in his 5th game (2017 GF & kick 3 goals?) I’d suggest not everyone could do that? To me that’s a pretty good height. For someone who hasn’t reached any ?

P.s
Apologies just read a bit further down where you noted 1 or 2 good games.

Last edited:
Madness to re-sign this bloke if we can screw any compo out of him.

Just call WCE, tell them to up their offer to ensure band 3 compo (same as band 2 for us as spooners).

It's a deal sweetener for the Baker trade so we can accept slightly unders for Bakes IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back