Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

The academy stuff is being rorted. But this is why I'd hate to see father son removed from game. It is something special.
Father son recruiting is a joke. Lets not divert from the facts here. Our father son is running around for Sydney. The father son shit can ship right off. No one else was drafting Jackson, we’d still have him even with no FS rules

J Rantall could play a bit Hojy.

Describe him for the uninitiated?

Ahhhh.... " Mopsy " One of the 10 yr men with Davis & Wade who played in the backline. Mopsy was a VIC. rep who played for the state but came from a poor side, South Melbourne.
He would put the clamps on the oppositions best, l suppose you would say " small forward " nowadays, but not so small back then. He was like an Onkaparinga blanket ! Not fast, but skilfull, sure hands in a marking contest, great kick, great moustache.
Leigh Matthews considered the greatest player of all time ( before this mantle shifts to Harry & George ) Put the clamps on him in the 1975 G.F. and the great man never touched it. After leaving North actually held the games record for a few years. Quiet, unassuming team man. Young Arch may emulate him one day.

Last edited:
Ahhhh.... " Mopsy " One of the 10 yr men with Davis & Wade who played in the backline. Mopsy was a VIC. rep who played for the state but came from a poor side, South Melbourne.
He would put the clamps on the oppositions best, l suppose you would say " small forward " nowadays, but not so small back then. He was like an Onkoparinga blanket ! Not fast, but skilfull, sure hands in a marking contest, great kick, great moustache.
Leigh Matthews considered the greatest player of all time ( before this mantle shifts to Harry & George ) Put the clamps on him in the 1975 G.F. and the great man never touched it. After leaving North actually held the games record for a few years. Quiet, unassuming team man. Young Arch may emulate him one day.
Ron Joseph lured him back to South after ‘75 in his short sabbatical there.

Who knows what difference he could have made if he stayed.

He would put the clamps on the oppositions best, l suppose you would say " small forward " nowadays, but not so small back then. He was like an Onkoparinga blanket ! Not fast, but skilfull, sure hands in a marking contest, great kick, great moustache.

Great description Hojy.

He had that thick build with tree trunkish legs. Hard to move and never went to ground.

Won the best and fairest in 1974.

Barassi would have loved him.

Mark my words this game will be a fork in the road for him. Either he works even harder and realises how damn hard the positon is and gives 1000% or he drops his head and loses confidence.

Having watched his old man play i have a fairly strong suspicion which way he goes.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Oh look i did.

Turns out he did give that 1000% :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George has it. Chom has it. Arch has it. Xerri has it. We need a small forward who has it.

True. Regardless of previous ups downs and injury/self-doubts, Simpkin is again proving he has it too. There’s a contingent with that hunger now.

And it’s making efforts like Stevos last week stand out more.

FAMILY TIES

Mark this game down as the night the son of a legend became his own man.

Jackson Archer did an incredible imitation of his father, Roos great Glenn, in what was clearly his best game as a Kangaroo.

Playing just his 14th game, the 21-year-old completely blanketed Melbourne’s No.1 goalkicker Bailey Fritsch, reducing him to a bystander.

Fritsch didn’t impact the scoreboard and had just six disposals while Archer had eight but his impact was a lot more than his touches.

The family’s trademark courage and desperation was there in bucket loads and in many ways the youngster represents the new hard edge the Kangaroos are starting to show.

Archer, George Wardlaw, Harry Sheezel, Luke Davies-Unacke, Tristan Xerri, Curtis Taylor and Charlie Comben are just some of the young names who don’t take a backward step.

The melee at half-time and continued niggle throughout showed Alistair Clarkson’s team were no longer going to be pushed around which in itself is a significant breakthrough.

Last edited:
Picked him to bounce back and he destroyed Fritsch.

Last week would have hurt him and that was a great response.

Not just the tackling and spoils, the intercept marking too.

Give him the number 11 now. Winding back the clock 25 years tonight.

Imagine having the comfort knowing that after last week’s game where Hill got a hold of him that he can pick the brains of his old man all week on how to bounce back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Where the **** did that intercepting come from? Nearly fell off my chair. Heart and soul player.
He had always been a beautiful mark of the ball.
Probably goes to Weightman next week? Will be interesting to see how he goes.

I’d say so. I still think those 183-188cm lead up forwards are his best bet. Don’t think he has the agility to go with the real zippy & slippery small forwards like Charlie Cameron & Bobby Hill

He would put the clamps on the oppositions best, l suppose you would say " small forward " nowadays, but not so small back then. He was like an Onkaparinga blanket ! Not fast, but skilfull, sure hands in a marking contest, great kick, great moustache.

Had a hit of golf on the Kings birthday holiday after our win against the Eagles at Mortlake. Me, my mate and his young son all had North hoodies on. We go to pay and an old bloke comes out of the clubhouse and says "North, hey. Mopsy Rantall plays here every Sunday."

Apparently lives in the district.

He had always been a beautiful mark of the ball.

I’d say so. I still think those 183-188cm lead up forwards are his best bet. Don’t think he has the agility to go with the real zippy & slippery small forwards like Charlie Cameron & Bobby Hill

Probably. Liam Ryan is fairly slippery and Arch did a good job there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back