Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Fremantle will be "circling" the names of 200 players in the competition, considering Lyons inability to develop players.
lyon doesn't have to develop at freo, we've got a development academy to do that, as do the cats, pies and anyone else who can afford it or prioritises it. he didn't have that luxury at the saints.

75% of our list our out of contract either this year or not. You guys would be roughly the same.

Freo would be irresponsible if they weren't looking closely at him. This isn't really news.
it is about the same actually. and yep, due diligence. it's likely we'll nab someone unexpectedly, though, ala danyle pearce last year.

He's done ok with Walters, was minutes away from being delisted but in the space of 2 years has turned him into the best small forward in the comp.

Blokes like Walters flourish because of the space that Lyons game plan grants to small quick forwards.

Walters also had external issues if info is correct and Lyon turned that around with his no bullshit stance.

Aaron has what we badly lack, class.

He's worth more to us from a pure footballing perspective, than most other clubs.

I honestly don't think Freo would be willing to pay the required price. It's just as likely they are sniffing around North to see what falls out of the tree. North are a side that has undergone a significant development phase and we are still only paying 95% TPP. e.g. They might want Black but they might realistically be targetting Tarrant or Hansen (again).

I agree, I don't think we will either. I would say the only chance we have of getting Black is if some time next year he wants to delay his contract talk till the end of the year. What are the chances of that happening?
Even if he did, we would still have to agree on a trade.

Blokes like Walters flourish because of the space that Lyons game plan grants to small quick forwards.

Walters also had external issues if info is correct and Lyon turned that around with his no bullshit stance.
that's rubbish because walters is an evasive player who works well in close who reads the play well and uses his body well. he's earmarked for the midfield and has been playing in there in stints. walters flourishes because he's a mercurial goalsneak who's just realising his potential.

I agree, I don't think we will either. I would say the only chance we have of getting Black is if some time next year he wants to delay his contract talk till the end of the year. What are the chances of that happening?

Slim, as I have only heard reports of him being happy at North.

Even if he did, we would still have to agree on a trade.

You couldn't get this done without taking a step backwards in the process, which makes the whole idea pointless.

I think you will be focusing on FTA's and pressuring the development lists to see what can fall in your lap.

Slim, as I have only heard reports of him being happy at North.

You couldn't get this done without taking a step backwards in the process, which makes the whole idea pointless.

I think you will be focusing on FTA's and pressuring the development lists to see what can fall in your lap.

Agreed. Still won't stop the rumours from flying around pointlessly until you guys sign him though. Nature of the beast, I suppose

Agreed. Still won't stop the rumours from flying around pointlessly until you guys sign him though. Nature of the beast, I suppose

As one of the more prominent contemporary nurseries, we have been putting up with rumors of player raids for the last 3 years (GC & GWS) and we will be putting up with these rumors for a couple more years yet.

The only players we have lost in this period are Gibson (which ironically landed Black at Arden Street), and the unrequired Hale (Keiran Harper, very promising) and McIntosh (Mason Wood, very promising).

All of our youngsters have continued to sign on with North.

As one of the more prominent contemporary nurseries, we have been putting up with rumors of player raids for the last 3 years (GC & GWS) and we will be putting up with these rumors for a couple more years yet.

The only players we have lost in this period are Gibson (which ironically landed Black at Arden Street), and the unrequired Hale (Keiran Harper, very promising) and McIntosh (Mason Wood, very promising).

All of our youngsters have continued to sign on with North.

It was only a matter of time before our clubs were linked to a trade. Do any of your players have pets that would make good key forwards we could use?

It was only a matter of time before our clubs were linked to a trade. Do any of your players have pets that would make good key forwards we could use?

You're not going to pull a Pavlich out of thin air and if you undergo a hard redevelopment you will lose the base you have right now.

There's not much upside left in the current bunch.

It's a tricky time for Freo. Which way do they jump in order to grab that extra 15% that will get them to grand final day?

You're not going to pull a Pavlich out of thin air and if you undergo a hard redevelopment you will lose the base you have right now.

There's not much upside left in the current bunch.

It's a tricky time for Freo. Which way do they jump in order to grab that extra 15% that will get them to grand final day?

Why do you not think there is much upside left in our current bunch? With most of our senior players out, we have only lost 2 games in the first 10. Our second half of the season is even easier still (only 3 of the remaining 12 games against teams from the current top 8).

Not sure if we need another Pav to get to a grand final. We have only lost 1 game without him this year, and that was to Hawks in Tasi. No doubt we need a key forward or two, but as you say it is very unlikely they need to be the quality of Pav.

Why do you not think there is much upside left in our current bunch?

I just don't see it.

Where is it coming from when Sandi, Pav and more importantly McPharlin are gone?

Mundy and Barlow won't get any better.

With most of our senior players out, we have only lost 2 games in the first 10. Our second half of the season is even easier still (only 3 of the remaining 12 games against teams from the current top 8).

Yeah and if 4 kicks went the other way we would be in the same position on the ladder. The top 8 at the moment isn't much of an indicator of anything. Hawthorn and Sydney are clearly the best sides, from Freo and Geelong who can both be beaten on their day by a number of other teams, followed by a bunch of 6-8 clubs you could throw a blanket over. The draw and injury plays a predominant role in their results.

Not sure if we need another Pav to get to a grand final. We have only lost 1 game without him this year, and that was to Hawks in Tasi. No doubt we need a key forward or two, but as you say it is very unlikely they need to be the quality of Pav.

You would have to finish top 2 and get home finals just to make it.

I just don't see it.

Where is it coming from when Sandi, Pav and more importantly McPharlin are gone?

Mundy and Barlow won't get any better.

My point is we have been winning without Sandi and Pav. We beat Geelong in last years final without McPharlin.

When all three retire, every team in the competition will also have seniors that will retire. It comes down to how much those teams rely on their seniors. We have shown that we can cope. Actually, some teams will probably have between 5-8 players retiring to our 3.

Little known fact which is sort of related: North have the lowest number of players born in 1983 or before - even less than GWS and Gold Coast. I suggest you guys will also cope better, having less seniors to rely on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point is we have been winning without Sandi and Pav. We beat Geelong in last years final without McPharlin.

When all three retire, every team in the competition will also have seniors that will retire. It comes down to how much those teams rely on their seniors. We have shown that we can cope. Actually, some teams will probably have between 5-8 players retiring to our 3.

When top layers retire it comes down to how much clubs have invested in development. Just look at StKilda. Don't get too carried away with the current ladder positions, it's misleading from a long term perspective. 4 kicks the other way and we would be ahead of you in the top 8 and with a truck load of more development to come.

Little known fact which is sort of related: North have the lowest number of players born in 1983 or before - even less than GWS and Gold Coast. I suggest you guys will also cope better, having less seniors to rely on.

Of course we will get better, but we are not achieving as required at this point of our rebuild. we have stagnated in 2013 and found to be tactically wanting.

For what its worth, my thoughts on Fremantle are that so much of your emerging success is built on your coach, gameplan and the attitude of your players. I think I read somewhere (from a Freo fan) that so much of your current 22 is either recycled, rookie listed, or from lowish picks.

Not saying those guys can't be talented, but as I previously said I believe you are so well placed due to factors other than talent and natural improvement from players. the best part about that is that you can lose high quality players to injury or whatever and the team wont suffer. As evidenced by the number of players you have out now and the great form you are in.

I know of 2 other boys that are being sussed out, and they were last year as well, but were told they were required. Neither have seen a senior game.

I know of 2 other boys that are being sussed out, and they were last year as well, but were told they were required. Neither have seen a senior game.
Cam Delaney and Ayden Kennedy?

This was always going to happen we took the absurd path of becoming nothing other than a nursery.

Hawthorn have already picked off a couple and so have Geelong.

If we keep continuing down the same path then we can expect to be in the business of keeping OTHER sides on top of the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back