Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

And Phillips’ confidence was messed around with by giving this bloke first crack based on his pre season.

No wonder Phillips is playing the way he is when he is of the opinion the club brass rate this bloke ahead of him.
No, Phillips' issue is that he's only able to play as purely an inside mid and thus finds himself behind LDU, Wardlaw, Powell, Simpkin in the pecking order.

No, Phillips' issue is that he's only able to play as purely an inside mid and thus finds himself behind LDU, Wardlaw, Powell, Simpkin in the pecking order.
I’m truly of the opinion he could effectively play high half forward.

He’s clean, neat skills, sure hands.

Might tidy up our inability to hit targets I50 too.

But plenty with more Footy IQ than me don’t see it so I’ll take that I’m wrong there.

It’s not about output it’s more about the person he is around the club. He is a popular fella especially amongst the hierarchy around the club.

Lazz is ultra smart, professional and he has a genuine love of the game. Clarko has a history of backing blokes like that in (Howe,Gilham ect amongst others)
We already have WillPhil for that .
One say & do the right things arse kisser but cant play is enough thanks

Junk yard wont be happy. What about all those coaches votes?
Yep, devastated... not bothered at all TBH, back Clarko and the team in. Playing great footy in the VFL, if he doesn't get a contract I'd be disappointed but that's purely because of how professional the kid is. If he doesn't make it it won't be through lack of effort or being unprofessional in the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, devastated... not bothered at all TBH, back Clarko and the team in. Playing great footy in the VFL, if he doesn't get a contract I'd be disappointed but that's purely because of how professional the kid is. If he doesn't make it it won't be through lack of effort or being unprofessional in the off season.

He unfortunately seems to lack the qualities to make it as an AFL midfielder.

No shame in the effort he’s put into trying to make it but it would be a waste of a list spot to give him another year with the known quantity he is.

I do know that Charlie sees himself as a inside mid and realises he's up against getting a decent crack at that role.
As you say he's giving it his best go, but I feel he would be better off elsewhere and it could bite us some day.

I watched the VFL's and 25 and 13 tackles, he looked a class above last week

I do know that Charlie sees himself as a inside mid and realises he's up against getting a decent crack at that role.
As you say he's giving it his best go, but I feel he would be better off elsewhere and it could bite us some day.

I watched the VFL's and 25 and 13 tackles, he looked a class above last week

I really thought that off the back of his game in round 24 last year, and watching him in the VFL that there’s something there. Even prior to getting injured, he had looked fine at AFL level. I feel as though a lot of people are locked into their perceptions of players.

Lazzaro may never be a world beater, may not even be an AFL player next year, but he’s no longer a shit player.

2022 I despised watching him, he was fumbling everything and soft. He has worked to become a prolific line breaker in the VFL.

I am harsh on Phillips personally because I see Lazzaro as having performed better in the VFL, worked much harder in preseason and has made clear improvements in his game, yet one gets the opportunities that the other doesn’t. My hottest take is that if we wanted to play someone as a tagger (albeit on the smaller running types) it should have been Lazzaro. Meticulous effort and a gut runner.

This post could literally be about Will. Word for word.

Players like this are hard to let go. His effort and intent is absolutely AFL standard.

The question I would ask is, have we left no stone unturned? Could he play on a Wing? Pressure small forward in the Owies/Fogarty mould?

As of now he is in line to be delisted, as an inside midfielder.

I really thought that off the back of his game in round 24 last year, and watching him in the VFL that there’s something there. Even prior to getting injured, he had looked fine at AFL level. I feel as though a lot of people are locked into their perceptions of players.

Lazzaro may never be a world beater, may not even be an AFL player next year, but he’s no longer a shit player.

2022 I despised watching him, he was fumbling everything and soft. He has worked to become a prolific line breaker in the VFL.

I am harsh on Phillips personally because I see Lazzaro as having performed better in the VFL, worked much harder in preseason and has made clear improvements in his game, yet one gets the opportunities that the other doesn’t. My hottest take is that if we wanted to play someone as a tagger (albeit on the smaller running types) it should have been Lazzaro. Meticulous effort and a gut runner.
Charlie has played 9 AFL games this year, that's the same amount as Will. Fact is Charlie didn't deliver when he got the chance earlier in the year and Will has had better games (statistically and from an impact point of view imo).
Will clearly has the edge in disposals and tackles.

Lazzaro - 39 games (9 in 2024), 99 disposals (42 kicks, 57 handballs), 17 marks, 19 tackles, 2 goals, 376 fantasy points
Phillips - 41 games (9 in 2024), 126 disposals (47 kicks, 79 handballs), 17 marks, 38 tackles, 2 goals, 502 fantasy points.

Now did Charlie suffer from the team's poor form and could he go better under the change in gamestyle? Hard to tell.

Charlie has played 9 AFL games this year, that's the same amount as Will. Fact is Charlie didn't deliver when he got the chance earlier in the year and Will has had better games (statistically and from an impact point of view imo).

Lazzaro - 39 games (9 in 2024), 99 disposals (42 kicks, 57 handballs), 17 marks, 19 tackles, 2 goals, 376 fantasy points
Phillips - 41 games (9 in 2024), 126 disposals (47 kicks, 79 handballs), 17 marks, 38 tackles, 2 goals, 502 fantasy points.

Now did Charlie suffer from the team's poor form and could he go better under the change in gamestyle? Hard to tell.
Will plays centre square when he plays, Laz gets pushed to half forward because his running ability and pace allow him to play there. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Players like this are hard to let go. His effort and intent is absolutely AFL standard.

The question I would ask is, have we left no stone unturned? Could he play on a Wing? Pressure small forward in the Owies/Fogarty mould?

As of now he is in line to be delisted, as an inside midfielder.
Has played multiple different roles in the last 3-4 weeks in the VFL, mostly off half back and has excelled.

I’m not a staunch Will hater and they play different roles, Lazzaro much more similar to Powell in terms of play style. CBA numbers probably a bit different between the two which may skew tackles / disposals. Lazz been sub a few times too.

I just feel as though Lazzaro has been the better player in the VFL and to an extent has deserved a run. Charlie has been our best VFL player and yet not considered for AFL games at all it seems.

I love Will’s archetype of player and would love to see him up his tank and motor from contest to contest getting the tough balls, like he was in the middle of last year.

Anyway, Lazzaro needs to watch Rhylee West film if he wants to play AFL.

Will plays centre square when he plays, Laz gets pushed to half forward because his running ability and pace allow him to play there. I don't think it's a fair comparison.
Well for someone with a great running ability he doesn't have much impact at AFL level. He should be able to get from contest to contest, that was his supposed strength in his draft year, gets nowhere near it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back