Player Watch #37 Corey Warner - young Blood Brother

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty excited about this debut, just quietly

Me too, though I'm not expecting a big one. I think he's there to fill a role on the wing while we're covering the backline.

If he gets 12ish decent touches, lays a tackle or two, and holds space on the wing well, then that's a good debut. Not expecting much more at this stage. But it will be important for his development.

He's aerobically fit but needs to get strong enough to take more hits.

He's also a classic "penetrating but wayward" kick - reminiscent of Rhyce Shaw. With experience hopefully he can learn to put the ball to advantage without needing the pinpoint accuracy.

Decent signs, not sure he'll get too many more games this year but another big preseason should put him in a pretty good position.

I liked that despite being an outside type, he has a hard edge (like Chad) and is prepared to throw his body in to the contest (in a disciplined way).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15 months since anyone posted on Corey's thread.
I liked what I saw yesterday. He looked much more confident and at home than in previous games. Kicked his goal, in a chain for another, broke a tackle. Looked strong.
Gave me the feeling that he might just make it.
Agreed KC. Looked like he knew he was ready to elevate himself. At one point he fired out a handball with such ferocity it even caught Parker off guard.

15 months since anyone posted on Corey's thread.
I liked what I saw yesterday. He looked much more confident and at home than in previous games. Kicked his goal, in a chain for another, broke a tackle. Looked strong.
Gave me the feeling that he might just make it.
Time for him to take that next step and show that he truly is challenging for the best 23 when most/all players are fit

Happy for him. I felt he was a player who would need a run of games to get used to AFL level. But had the traits to be a regular AFL player.

He has always had a lot of athleticism. He was quick over short distances as well as being a good long distance runner. Presumably he would have been doing sprint training with Chad in the off season.

He is comfortable getting stuck in at the contest. And usually pretty composed at finding a simple handpass or kick to keep possession. Which he did on the weekend. He was linking up well with other players and stayed involved in the play.

Yep yesterday was the first time I genuinely saw an AFL player in him. Looked very composed.

Appearance wise he looked like a blend of Heeney and Chad so hope he can combine their best elements!

Yep yesterday was the first time I genuinely saw an AFL player in him. Looked very composed.

Appearance wise he looked like a blend of Heeney and Chad so hope he can combine their best elements!
I was really impressed with the tackle he broke. Maintained his balance and got the nice pass away to Chad for the goal assist. Very composed indeed.

Yeah, it looked like a few of the chances he didn't take in his first few games he made the most of this time. His first possession was a sharp kick into a dangerous position in the corridor. Didn't quite come off but happy to see him have the confidence to try it.

Deserves a full game before we chuck Wicks back in who in 1.5 games in the VFL hasn't set the world on fire. Corey in a similar role to Wicks in the VFL was mostly having 20-25 touches and a goal a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #37 Corey Warner - young Blood Brother

Remove this Banner Ad

Back