Player Watch #40 Tom Hanily - welcome to the Bloods

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call , sad about JK , but the coach isn't a fan

Well taking out the captain for a season probably wasn’t his greatest idea in the book

Was worth the pick just hasn’t worked out those covid drafts were tricky

He certainly didn't look too excited about the idea of going to the swans. Family was far happier.
Probably just sinking in that he'd been drafted

Probably just sinking in that he'd been drafted

My thought exactly. Just taking the moment in. This the moment your whole life changes. Thinking "shit, this is it! It's happening! Whoa!" on the inside while from the outside just looking stupefied. Don't think it would have been any different if it had been a different club a pick earlier or later (although, although... if it had been North, a pick later....).

Sheldrick out for up to 8 weeks with his ankle injury I think.

Parker gone for another 5.

Tom only signed on for the rest of the year so I think it all makes perfect sense.

Our track record with mid-season draft picks makes it hard to get too excited, but if Hanily can come in and be handy in the VFL to help out Cleary, Kirk etc. then he'd be a good pick-up, given the outs to our reserves side in the coming weeks. Anything more would be a bonus.

Usually it’s down to attitude, effort on the training track, not getting the most out of themselves because they are not putting in the extra yards etc
Definitely. Horse has shown in the past that he's not willing to reward talent if the work ethic isn't there.

I think some higer picks have a view of where and how much they should be playing, inflated self worth? Onstanty may be that guy, and doesn't put in because he's not where he thinks he should be? He has been injured a bit. Speculation on my part though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the bits of the couple of games I watched today, he played quite a bit through the mids, and a bit off HB.

Not sure when he starts at the club; I presume he'd play against Geelong in the VFL next week?

HE STILL IS THE GODFATHER OF SOUL YA'LL

They would have had 2 options probably this was sort of doing the rounds, have a feeling Hanily was our no 1 choice though. Weirdly I'm very excited for this pick, and it's what I want us to use the MSD for. Go for the Hail Mary, you may just find an absolute star rather than taking 'solid maybe role players'. I get we needed a ruck in the past, but in general personally I'd be going for the Home Run rather than a single to long on so to speak. Great selection!
Only messing but a ground ball single to right or left field would be better to keep in line with the home run analogy ... or I guess a six to go along with the single to long-on.

From the bits of the couple of games I watched today, he played quite a bit through the mids, and a bit off HB.

Not sure when he starts at the club; I presume he'd play against Geelong in the VFL next week?
His first day at the club is tomorrow

Usually it’s down to attitude, effort on the training track, not getting the most out of themselves because they are not putting in the extra yards etc
I think this is right. I also suspect that the leeway given on attitude would be razor thin if you took out the captain for a year. I reckon the effort required to earn the trust of teammates and coaches would be that little bit higher.

Why is everyone so certain that Konstanty is no good?
He was injured most of last year, is stuck behind Paps and Wicks, is still only a 2nd year player.. and is going pretty well in the VFL - think hes kicked 2 goals in each of the last few games

One of our boys from Sandy told me at training last night and (who should get drafted) played on him in the 1st half in the midfield and maybe beat him and then Tom went forward and kicked 2 , never played back.
I asked how good and he said he's a gun ! good fresh info

Numbers 23 and 40 available for Tom. Technically, 47 and 48 are available too. Think Buddy's 23 will be temporarily "retired" for a season or two like they did with Goodesy and JPK.

Hope he chooses 40. Following in the footsteps of one of my all time Swans fave in Nick Smith
Was going to ask the highest number worn in the 21st century but it seems that it was Buller at 47. Guessing the link below is of players to have actually debuted https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/swans.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back