Player Watch #37 Corey Warner - young Blood Brother

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved his work on the weekend, seemed much more involved than previously. Think he deserves a full game and the more options we've tested come finals, the better. We know what Wicks has to offer.

Loved his work on the weekend, seemed much more involved than previously. Think he deserves a full game and the more options we've tested come finals, the better. We know what Wicks has to offer.
Comes down to match fitness i rekn. In previous games you could see his efforts become more laboured as the game wore on. I don't think he's quite ready yet but he's not far off, another pre season should have him primed. Coming on as a sub worked well for him as it did Parker the week previous.

Comes down to match fitness i rekn. In previous games you could see his efforts become more laboured as the game wore on. I don't think he's quite ready yet but he's not far off, another pre season should have him primed. Coming on as a sub worked well for him as it did Parker the week previous.

He's pretty aerobically fit, I reckon previous games when he's faded may have been due to strength fatigue rather than cardio, and he looks to have greatly improved that.

I know he only played a half but he actually had 100% game time in the second half he didn't have a single rotation, yes that wasn't a complete game so it could be different but as others have suggested i think he has massively worked on it from 2023 where he had two full games and in the second half of those games he was playing 50% TOG in the last quarter

I’m anticipating he’ll start the game on Sunday at HFF. I suspect Fox will go back to replace Rampe which leaves an opening for the hard running, up and back high half forward and that’s Warner to a tee. Great runner and he showed great decision making against Brisbane.
It is his footy smarts that sets him apart. He gets to the right positions. Makes the right decisions.

He seens to have got his body ready for AFL. He keeps up with the game and can get ahead. He is ready.

Highlights the coaches are scared to make the hard calls against the more experienced players. Florent, McDonald, Ladhams, Mills should have been dragged before him

Agree on Florent, and probably Ladhams though I can see why Horse would want to have someone on the park to give Grundy a chop-out (though McLean could have done that).

McDonald was fine up forward. Ball wasn't getting there, can't drag him for that any more than you can drag Corey, and he was reasonably effective when he went to Defence.

Mills, well... on form, yes, but also he's the captain so I can see how it could be even more of a morale blow to take him off.

But yeah, I'd have taken off Florent, Ladhams, Wicks, probably Chad (he lifted a bit in the second but at the point the sub was made was probably worse than he was last week), and yeah Mills would have definitely sent a message.

Subbing him was a gutless decision by the coaches. He wasn't setting the world on fire, but he was hardly the biggest part of the problem. We were already 10 goals down, either correct your selection mistake of 3 rucks or make a ****ing statement if you're going to sub someone.
If nothing else could've had a look at a young player like Corey and seen if he actually had the mental fortitude to turn his game around, most of the others have shown time and time again they haven't.
So in the complete shit-show that the night was, missed both the opportunity to make a statement or see if a young player had something.....couldn't even make the ****ing right move with the sub. Coaches shat their pants as much as the players did last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting ommission.

But to keep it in perspective, Corey isn't the difference between a win or a loss. It's shitty what happened to him last match, but he is a fringe player atm. So if the selection committee don't think there's a spot for him then it's the right call.

I'm sure they debriefed with him after the game and hopefully he's in good spirits and continues to work on developing his game.

Just a terrible week of coaching for Horse with this kid.

I'm not even that bullish on him compared to others, but he was scapegoated in a massive way during the Port game, he's now been dropped in favour of a different wingman/flanker in... checks notes... Campbell, who was... checks notes.... dropped last week, but who has played... checks notes... zero games to earn his spot back over Warner Jr.

Yucky.

Just a terrible week of coaching for Horse with this kid.

I'm not even that bullish on him compared to others, but he was scapegoated in a massive way during the Port game, he's now been dropped in favour of a different wingman/flanker in... checks notes... Campbell, who was... checks notes.... dropped last week, but who has played... checks notes... zero games to earn his spot back over Warner Jr.

Yucky.

Campbell must have been good at the problem solving session

These kids understand that they're not automatically entitled to a run of games just to aid their own development. They would be well aware that at team selection the coaches do whatever gives the team the best chance of winning. Sometimes that means they're only in because of injury and there's an opportunity there to give them a small taste of senior football before they go back to the reserves to work on what they need to.

I doubt Corey Warner is at home crying himself to sleep at night because horse didn't give him an uninterrupted run of games to the detriment of team cohesion and our chances of winning a game.

The only player I can think of who left because he had issues with how he was managed by Horse is Tom Mitchell & he'll probably be looking for his 4th club very soon.

Last edited:
He's starting to look a player. Is contracted for another season and I don't see why he couldn't push for more game time.

His speed and flexibility are what gives him an edge over other players in our squad
Should offer him a 2 year extension if he shows form during the preseason. Dangle the carrot in front of Chad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #37 Corey Warner - young Blood Brother

Remove this Banner Ad

Back