AFL Player #37: Nic Martin - Looks like he has a runny nose

Remove this Banner Ad

For the player he is, I don't understand why he was the guy we were sending back. The least obvious of the three possible wing candidates (Duursma, Durham or Martin).

He was the most capable player going forward as many have mentioned, just seems farcical we are trying to turn him into something he's not. Classic Essington.

Putting aside the defensive component (both his struggles on this front, and that we really aren't covering for him either because plenty of others don't defend in the first place too), he is just trying to play way too much hero-ball when he's actually got the pill.

He had a kick-in to the back pocket where he pulled the pass across his body at late notice and stabbed at it hard. This one hit the target but it's just an unnecessarily complicated way of hitting what is a basic kick for little advantage.

When he first arrived on the scene he was a good user of the footy because he had good vision but he usually kept it simple. He needs to get back to that.

For the player he is, I don't understand why he was the guy we were sending back. The least obvious of the three possible wing candidates (Duursma, Durham or Martin).

He was the most capable player going forward as many have mentioned, just seems farcical we are trying to turn him into something he's not. Classic Essington.
I think we are trying to turn him into our Daicos/Coleman.

Definitely a work in progress but would be better value forward of centre for mine.

We’re getting destroyed in transition, just like last year, and Martin isn’t on a wing so… might as well take the good ( this guy kicking it inside 50 or through the big sticks ) with the bad ( a defensive liability ).

His offensive capabilities are worth at least 2 goals a game.

We dont defend well enough to roll that dice.
Martin is a gun winger. Get him back there.
Yeh I agree with that, if we can’t allow him to play as a free wheeling half back by covering from him. Then we shouldn’t have that role set up. But don’t expect Martin to defend, it’s not his job and he shouldn’t be blamed for being a poor defensive player.

Yeh I agree with that, if we can’t allow him to play as a free wheeling half back by covering from him. Then we shouldn’t have that role set up. But don’t expect Martin to defend, it’s not his job and he shouldn’t be blamed for being a poor defensive player.
certainly wasn't knocking him. just our use of him.

it's just a waste to take someone who's clearly dominated at a role and try to pigeonhole him into something entirely different.

it's like steve smith opening the batting. he might make runs every so often but he's such a liability that it'll only harm us and our youth development.

keep him on the wing

Has looked all at sea last couple weeks, just doesn't look comfortable behind the ball. Plays his best footy on a wing or high HF. Why do they insist on rolling the dice just because.

Was having an AA year on a wing last year, they then decide to move him out and put Kelly there?? That's one wtf moment.
We have clearly had issues in the past with a disconnect between our mids and forwards (inside 50s). Other than Merrett, Marto tends to lower the eyes and make the right decisions going inside 50. Right now, all they are doing is bombing it blindly.

We look better with him creating scoring opportunities and forward thrusts forward of centre. I know it's early days, but it's pretty obvious this HB experiment isn't working. I mean why not try Duursma there, he ain't doing much on the wing.

Why would he want duursma being a designated kicker. He can’t kick

when Ridleys back i expect the experiment to end
Ridley will hopefully come in for Heppell.

I think they're probably trying to achieve what the Saints are doing with Wanganeen-Milera - having an absolutely elite kick setting up attacks off the half back line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redman, Hind, McGrath and Martin all like to take the game on so it does leave you exposed on turnovers.

We need more defenders whose sole role is to defend, I think only one of those at one time should be that all out attack style of player out of defence.

Also you really need your wingmen to help out defensively in those situations and at the moment Tsatas and Duursma are also running forward of the ball hoping to get on the end of it.

I get the impatience with Martin of HB, but we shouldn't be in any rush either. We're rebuilding the team, as well as a system and culture.

I'm happy to be patient with Martin - it's a new role that he's had two cracks at. Three strikes is reasonable to me.

That said, I understand the premise of what Scott wants to do; if Martin can't execute, why not play Hayes (or Kelly, but I'm more interested in getting games into the youngers) and let Redman have a crack at the 7th role Martin is playing. Redders has an excellent field kick and a decent tank, but he also defends. Send Martin back to the wing and let Redman have a crack at executing the role.

Duursma or Tsatas perhaps makes way.

Martin was one of the best wingers in the game last season (probably 3rd or 4th best). Was quickly becoming our second best player. Then we decide to move him into defense so we can fit others who aren’t as good into his spot.
It took us 7 years to put Langford into the position he was drafted from.
I hope we don’t muck around with this for too long if it’s not working.

I get the impatience with Martin of HB, but we shouldn't be in any rush either. We're rebuilding the team, as well as a system and culture.

I'm happy to be patient with Martin - it's a new role that he's had two cracks at. Three strikes is reasonable to me.

That said, I understand the premise of what Scott wants to do; if Martin can't execute, why not play Hayes (or Kelly, but I'm more interested in getting games into the youngers) and let Redman have a crack at the 7th role Martin is playing. Redders has an excellent field kick and a decent tank, but he also defends. Send Martin back to the wing and let Redman have a crack at executing the role.

Duursma or Tsatas perhaps makes way.

To me the obvious answer is Caldwell.

It’s not an accident Essendon looked good with him running close to Heeney who was playing Mid/HF

Caldwell becomes your 2nd Small HB user
Martin becomes the AA wing he was last year before getting moved and Durham becomes your midsized pressure forward who rotates through the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back