AFL Player #38: Archie Roberts - Signs on until 2026 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

you old fuddy-duddies need to get with the skibidi sigma thang
Nothing quite like old blokes wanting to be younguns

Pretending Season 5 GIF by The Simpsons

Played well and shown promise, which just reinforces the question of why he couldn't get a game a good 12 weeks earlier. Selection has been baffling this season and Roberts has just been another example of that. Too often have we not rewarded those who warrant selection, and time and time again have we continued giving games to players down on form.

Brad Scott was about 3 games away from losing our second future lethal left footed gun wingman in consecutive years.

That's not how it works. Either they come in under-prepared and it's 'delist'/'not up to it'/'another Dodo classic' or they come in prepared and it's 'can't believe he didn't get a game 12 weeks ago'

You forgot the third option: Can't believe we continue playing out-of-form players, leading to inconsistency and poor results on field, leading to disgruntled fans, likely leading to a loss of confidence in said player (Perkins, Menzie etc).

I see your point, except it's not that black and white. There's certainly an argument for patience being key and honing their craft in the VFL (Tsatas etc, which I support), while also arguing that selection has been very inconsistent and poor this season on multiple occasions. The two aren't mutually exclusive. On the Roberts front, I just find it hard to fathom we couldn't have found a place for him many weeks earlier.

Not 19 until November, youngest player named in the AFL this weekend.

What an unbelievable find as a bit of a ‘yeah we’ll have that’ afterthought.

25 rising star?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #38: Archie Roberts - Signs on until 2026 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back