Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL stop with the crap deflecting
its a simple question what did he do that makes you think he had such a fantastic game
9/10 things Cumbo did tonight were of elite quality and if you can’t see that then no one will ever take u seriously again

That's it mate, he does as much wrong - seriously wrong - as he does beautifully.

Waiting for the footy to come over the back in marking contests where they easily escape out the front because he didn't contest, allowing whoever played on him to become a spare man at will, repeat failures to lock the ball in, complete stranger to defensive running - just as you say, costly basics (and he was hardly alone there of course).

He's got talent to burn and I love watching him play, he's a born gun, but we already leak all the defensive things he leaks with other forwards and in the end the question becomes: how many of these 'boom or easy rebound bust' types can you afford to play across half forward, especially when you're already getting beaten all over the ground?

Jack leaks around the same level, as does Dusty on his worse games and they're all a like for like swap, but you can't play all of them unless you've got a dominant midfield and win enough contested ball to make up for all the times they'll be easily rebounded against.
Careful mate, you'll be labelled a hater for not ignoring the areas he needs to work on.

Credit where it’s due … Cumberland gave us a spark and set up a couple of goals to get us back in the game in a low scoring contest.

But let’s remember, he was picked as the sub despite a really average game in the VFL, so let’s not worry that there’s any kind of conspiracy against him.

He gave some spark as you’d hope he would with fresh legs, and he could well be sub next week if Dusty is back.

If he’s genuinely good enough as the season rolls on he will pick himself in the team and won’t be relying on selectors.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cumberland literally turned the game for us (like he has in past last year) and you will still find a negative. Unbelievable. Makes me wonder you dont want to see richmond improve
Could literally say the same things about those who seem to ignore Noahs weaknesses when it's suggested that he needs to work to improve his game.

LOL stop with the crap deflecting
its a simple question what did he do that makes you think he had such a fantastic game
Please stop,……watch the game again.
he showed aggression.
spirit
momentum
used the ball quickly and with intent.
set up play.
set up goals.
made an impact when we were on our knees.

Must of been a bitter pill for Dimma to swallow at half time to put Cumbo on.

All you negative Nancy's and Dimma worshippers if that change wasn't made we would have been lucky to kick 4 goals tonight.

Dimma is a good coach but quit acting like he doesn't make mistakes, he let's his stubbornness get in the way sometimes.

People melting but the match committee is not going to invent reasons to relegate a certain best 22 player. The good thing we see with Cumberland is he can win contests and burst clear with the ball and use it. At way under key position height, he is competing with marquee players Martin and Bolton for that type of role, and they are on the big money for very good reason, they have runs on the board. But a lot of other players could probably have a bigger impact ball in hand if they played as Cumberland does. Players like Maurice Jnr, Clarke, Graham and Mansell tonight were going on long chases following opponents who were involved in chains for 60-80m's then when their pressure helps cause a turnover they are spreading back our way. Of course when they get the ball they are not going to look like superman after those type of efforts.

Our selectors know what it takes to win flags.

9/10 things Cumbo did tonight were of elite quality and if you can’t see that then no one will ever take u seriously again
Problem is he only did 7 things and apart from the fresh legs advantage where he was quicker and more energetic than the rest as you would expect when the rest of the players had played in the wet for a half a game.

He was just ok nothing special mate

Problem is he only did 7 things and apart from the fresh legs advantage where he was quicker and more energetic than the rest as you would expect when the rest of the players had played in the wet for a half a game.

I think Cumberland's performance is reflective of how he plays. Collingwood's sub Carmichael came on and did not have anywhere near the impact ball in hand. But I agree with you and others about Noah, it is clearly the not ball in hand bit that is the issue.

People melting but the match committee is not going to invent reasons to relegate a certain best 22 player. The good thing we see with Cumberland is he can win contests and burst clear with the ball and use it. At way under key position height, he is competing with marquee players Martin and Bolton for that type of role, and they are on the big money for very good reason, they have runs on the board. But a lot of other players could probably have a bigger impact ball in hand if they played as Cumberland does. Players like Maurice Jnr, Clarke, Graham and Mansell tonight were going on long chases following opponents who were involved in chains for 60-80m's then when their pressure helps cause a turnover they are spreading back our way. Of course when they get the ball they are not going to look like superman after those type of efforts.

Our selectors know what it takes to win flags.
Do realise the selectors consist mostly of coaches etc which have probably (definitely) chnaged since 2020 so i would put too much blind faith in them. They can make mistakes which has been proven, just hope they learn from it. For example, ryan has been played 2/3 games in the wet, surely they could have learn from the first time it wasnt going to be a good idea - great they are trying have confidence in him but sometimes you can ruin confidence in the player instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Cumberland's performance is reflective of how he plays. Collingwood's sub Carmichael came on and did not have anywhere near the impact ball in hand. But I agree with you and others about Noah, it is clearly the not ball in hand bit that is the issue.
Carmichael is a mid that came into the game late and was working in a bottle shop playing in a lower league in 2022
and most likely will be delisted in 1-2 years

Do realise the selectors consist mostly of coaches etc which have probably (definitely) chnaged since 2020 so i would put too much blind faith in them. They can make mistakes which has been proven, just hope they learn from it. For example, ryan has been played 2/3 games in the wet, surely they could have learn from the first time it wasnt going to be a good idea - great they are trying have confidence in him but sometimes you can ruin confidence in the player instead.

I was surprised they played Ryan tonight to be honest. Not because he isn't up to AFL footy, but just team balance, especially in the conditions as you say.

But his playing isn't all loss. I think he did a fair stint late in the first half when we were in a holding pattern and stopped the Pies scoring. This I think allowed Nankervis to rest a bit, I presume forward and on the bench. Nankervis seemed to me to have quite a strong impact after HT as a result. Ryan gains crucial experience. If Soldo's foot doesn't improve well, Nankervis gets injured or suspended, Ryan will almost certainly be playing first ruck no matter what the conditions are. All these things have to be considered.

This is the thing about selection, decisions you make can impact beyond just the kicks marks and handballs a player gets. It is extremely difficult at present to figure out our best formation week to week. But it is only round 3. If they keep trying different things eventually things will become clearer.

I was surprised they played Ryan tonight to be honest. Not because he isn't up to AFL footy, but just team balance, especially in the conditions as you say.

But his playing isn't all loss. I think he did a fair stint late in the first half when we were in a holding pattern and stopped the Pies scoring. This I think allowed Nankervis to rest a bit, I presume forward and on the bench. Nankervis seemed to me to have quite a strong impact after HT as a result. Ryan gains crucial experience. If Soldo's foot doesn't improve well, Nankervis gets injured or suspended, Ryan will almost certainly be playing first ruck no matter what the conditions are. All these things have to be considered.

This is the thing about selection, decisions you make can impact beyond just the kicks marks and handballs a player gets. It is extremely difficult at present to figure out our best formation week to week. But it is only round 3. If they keep trying different things eventually things will become clearer.
I want ryan in the team. We were just too tall in the wet, just a poor decision when we had a chance to go smaller. Yes match selection is tricky, they have to bold rather than safe sometimes. This includes making some hard calls not just on the young players (which they are doing with cumberland) but with the senior players like cotch, jack, graham etc. Loyalty is great but it can also hold you back. For example, if they were that keen to keep ryan after his three goals, then you need to therefore make a bold call on jack or lynch in the wet. So obviously its not lynch, so thats when the match comittee comes in with hard decisions. I think they just took the easy route and played all three and ignored weather conditions and hoped for the best, the result in the first half was telling (and wasteful).

The other option is to leave nank out and ryan comes in - which may happen by the end of the year but most probably in the next 2 years.

I want ryan in the team. We were just too tall in the wet, just a poor decision when we had a chance to go smaller. Yes match selection is tricky, they have to bold rather than safe sometimes. This includes making some hard calls not just on the young players (which they are doing with cumberland) but with the senior players like cotch, jack, graham etc. Loyalty is great but it can also hold you back. For example, if they were that keen to keep ryan after his three goals, then you need to therefore make a bold call on jack or lynch in the wet. So obviously its not lynch, so thats when the match comittee comes in with hard decisions. I think they just took the easy route and played all three and ignored weather conditions and hoped for the best, the result in the first half was telling (and wasteful).

The other option is to leave nank out and ryan comes in - which may happen by the end of the year but most probably in the next 2 years.

To be honest I don't think you are sensibly picking Ryan over Nankervis, Riewoldt or Lynch v Collingwood. So the question is Ryan v an extra runner or Ryan v Miller, or no Ryan no Young and Miller plays back and runs in ruck with the oppo second ruck. I doubt any of that would have made the difference in the result tonight, they had us well covered between the arcs, which is where it matters most in the wet. We have plenty to add back into our team though, so no need to despair.

Last edited:

He did much more than millionaire Lynch but keep dragging the guy down.

Dimma is being to stubborn simple as that like I said he was our best medium forward last year by a mile his got skill ,class and does the pressure stuff and we get this bs his competing with Martin.Play your best players in there position no brainer.
People love dimma they reckon his a god as he was out coached once again hes stuffing around with players never ends. Collingwood should have been 70 points up at half time. Had it not been for baker and Balta this game could have been very ugly.

People love dimma they reckon his a god as he was out coached once again hes stuffing around with players never ends. Collingwood should have been 70 points up at half time. Had it not been for baker and Balta this game could have been very ugly.

Yep. Collingwood had free reign of the corridor and we couldn't move the ball at all. Their game plan simply owned us. Selection is not the only thing Dimma is stuffing up right now.

Some seriously negative football IQ takes in here on Noah. From the moment he came on, he was in our best 3 players. Predictable

I think there's a bob each way with Cumberland. He was the spark in the 3rd Q that got us back in the game, but he is also pure attack and structures and defensive aspects of the game are needed.

But he is 10 games into his career and you'd have to say he is definitely one of our most exciting young players albeit with a fair way to go. He was in everyone's best 22 at the end of last year, and he should be back in there after last night, but he still has things to work on, like most young players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back