Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually agree he should be in the ones, but incessant whinging that match committee is clueless and the non-selection is the greatest travesty is old.

Nobody here would even have 1/10th of the data the coaches would have for choosing the team, yet posters on here know better.
So ryan plays kicks 3 does f all else and woahh what a star. Cumbo plays kicks bags most games hopeless doesn't chase doesn't do this and that should not play him. Yeah your right us posters know sweet f all.

So ryan plays kicks 3 does f all else and woahh what a star. Cumbo plays kicks bags most games hopeless doesn't chase doesn't do this and that should not play him. Yeah your right us posters know sweet f all.

How about don’t put words in my mouth!

I never said Ryan was a star!

As for the rest of your ill informed rant, I said Cumberland should be in the team. I never called him out for lack of pressure, tho his numbers aren’t great, I’m not stressed about Martin and Bolton’s defensive efforts. I think it’s over played, Dusty is 25th percentile for pressure acts in the league for medium forward this year (and sits about average historically) and Bolton was down round 1 on his career averages but historically is about afl average.

So nothing you wrote was relevant to me in anyway.

I would say Cumberlands game on sunday in the VFL was way worse than anything i seen from Edwards in his career
Im not saying he is useless but sundays game by cumberland was just utter rubbish
Wow. You really have a short memory
Edwards played many many putrid games early days, even in his 5th and 6th seasons

Bugger me I'm amazed at how such a simple issue is creating such a fuss.

Let's look at it bit by bit.

Yes Cumberland is a proven mid sized forward who can kick goals and flourished in that role last year when he effectively replaced Dusty in the line up.

However, Noah doesn't have the agility to play through the midfield like Dusty does, hence the coaches making the call to get him trained up in the VFL, where it has less of an impact on the teams performance as it would having Noah being exposed at AFL level.

On Sunday, Noah had a couple of moments where he went into the middle and did what is expected and that was being the releasing player who came out the front of the stoppage and drove the ball forward, much like how we use Martin.

However, there were more instances of where he got hurt by his opponent going the other way. Either because his positioning was off or his decision making was off(ran forward rather than staying in the contest).

This process is similar to when Daniel went back to the VFL to learn how to play HBF or KMac learning to play as a defensive winger.

The question people should be asking is can Noah buckle down and accept the challenge of learning a new role to try and make him an even better player, or does he piss his career away like many others who have come before him.

Bugger me I'm amazed at how such a simple issue is creating such a fuss.

Let's look at it bit by bit.

Yes Cumberland is a proven mid sized forward who can kick goals and flourished in that role last year when he effectively replaced Dusty in the line up.

However, Noah doesn't have the agility to play through the midfield like Dusty does, hence the coaches making the call to get him trained up in the VFL, where it has less of an impact on the teams performance as it would having Noah being exposed at AFL level.

On Sunday, Noah had a couple of moments where he went into the middle and did what is expected and that was being the releasing player who came out the front of the stoppage and drove the ball forward, much like how we use Martin.

However, there were more instances of where he got hurt by his opponent going the other way. Either because his positioning was off or his decision making was off(ran forward rather than staying in the contest).

This process is similar to when Daniel went back to the VFL to learn how to play HBF or KMac learning to play as a defensive winger.

The question people should be asking is can Noah buckle down and accept the challenge of learning a new role to try and make him an even better player, or does he piss his career away like many others who have come before him.

Finally someone that knows what’s going on. Dimma obviously has ask Noah to play a different role, which will take time for him to learn. If he had of landed six goals he would of had everyone excited, but landing 6 tackles in the first game earns him shit. Yeah he made mistakes, nuts that’s to be expected.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People saying he needs to earn his spot…. Didn’t he do that last year??
Dimma took all year to give him a chance and he definitely took it and showed he is afl level.

His problem is that the role he is good at is the same one Dusty plays. And he will always come 2nd to Dusty.

It's that simple.

So Dimma is asking/telling him to learn more strings to his game. 6 tackles is a great start. He is smart and talented. I expect in a few weeks/months he'll be tearing it apart and we have another multifaceted high end talent. that is he plan. It sucks for him, and looks poor as he is obviously above VFL standard. But right now he can't play midfield in the AFL and isn't replacing Dusty.

Steve Morris' feedback regarding Noah's game on Sunday

Noah Cumberland (10 disposals, five tackles, two marks)

"Had a bit of an indifferent game. I thought offensively, he didn't have the impact that we would expect of him, and at times, his defence was inconsistent. But, highlighted by his five tackles, I thought he really did step in at times, and the opposition certainly felt him when he was in and around contests at times."

Good description of someone learning a new role. Flashed some good signs but the consistency not quite there yet. Be interesting to see how he goes at Coburg this week who should give him the chance to sink his teeth into the new role.

Steve Morris' feedback regarding Noah's game on Sunday

Good description of someone learning a new role. Flashed some good signs but the consistency not quite there yet. Be interesting to see how he goes at Coburg this week who should give him the chance to sink his teeth into the new role.

Holy shit it’s almost like Steve Morris watched the game and gave an honest appraisal of his performance. It was mediocre. Hardly banging the door down.

To be honest I didn't see glaring issues in his game class was there , pressure and tackling , involvement and kicking goals yeah all players can improve , but I don't understand why you keep your best medium forward out the side that can kick you a bag of goals and crunch goals.

If we're talking about defence pressure let's have the same rules for every player because we are carrying a few that don't even apply it at all veterans or not that's my issue.

Holy s**t it’s almost like Steve Morris watched the game and gave an honest appraisal of his performance. It was mediocre. Hardly banging the door down.
There is a reason we're fans/supporters and they're coaches

All good mate
I get it as well
What we saw of Cumbo last year was amazing just for mine we need to reward the kids who have the better form lines right now otherwise it sends mixed messages

I 100% want Cumbo to play but I want him to show us and force the match committee to play him due to what he is currently displaying

He hasn’t had a senior game yet!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lets just say we have a good record of taking a players strength away from them and turning them into a battler by taking away their confidence.. such a shame we cant focus on what he can do not what he cant do.

That was to make way for Cotchin’s move to the forward line. Everyone knows it. Now his confidence has taken a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Way its going reckon we can look fwd to another stengle scenario where he will want to go for better opportunity in what he does well and he will kick bags at his new club.

Hardly a whimper last year about Cumberlands pressure in his 8 games. Why because there was nothing wrong with his pressure.
19 goals in what was in reality 8 games equates to 2.4 goals a season. Along with that he layed some crunching tackles and applied plenty of pressure imo.

I have to ask if it so important for Cumberland to apply pressure why is it not just as important for Martin. What we only play kids now days to cover for older blokes who hardly have a defensive bone in their body.Has Dusty's role really changed that much i don't believe so.

If they pick Cumberland and the likes of Sonsie it means a favorite has to miss out not neccesarily Dusty.

AS to them playing the same role boy oh boy supporters just buy club spiel hook line and sinker. If people really want to believe that then good on em.

Just cannot wait until Samson Ryan has to go because we are to tall and slow and don't apply enough pressure fwd. Well hello doesnt that same logic apply to Dusty.

The game has changed from 2017 - 2019 but you would not know it at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back