Player Watch #39 Jack Buller

Remove this Banner Ad

This …
We may have accidentally solved our forward line for years to come.

Amartey. McLean. Logan. Buller.
This seems like too many talls to fit in 1 forward line. But at least we now have options

Think there will be definitely opportunities for him very soon. With logan, Reid and amartey out for the long term, buddy will no doubt miss games plus he's a genuine fwd/2nd ruck option.

He will be playing in the seniors very soon
If he settles in well I wouldn't be surprised to see him fairly soon given a chance at the top level. Stretch is doing well so far, but offers absolutely zilch around the ground. If Hickey builds on his form and starts really dominating, they might prefer to go with another forward that can ruck than a pure ruck like Stretch currently is.

There's a chance he comes straight in for McAndrew. I like Stretch but he's not quite physically ready. Having Hickey play the traditional ruck role and a guy like Buller play second ruck, leaving McLean to play 100% forward feels like a better setup.

Not sure when Amartey is due back but you'd think coming back from a hamstring he will be eased back through the ressies.

This post will come across as whinging but - how come a guy with his physical attributes wasn’t on an AFL list already? Even just a rookie list.

KPP/ruck prospects don’t really grow on trees. Usually being 200cm tall, 100kg and able to run an 8 on the beep test without tripping over your own feet is enough to get a look in.

It suggests some pretty significant shortcomings. Was it just fitness? Seems unlikely it’d just be that - we took Amartey on

Last edited:
There's a chance he comes straight in for McAndrew. I like Stretch but he's not quite physically ready. Having Hickey play the traditional ruck role and a guy like Buller play second ruck, leaving McLean to play 100% forward feels like a better setup.

Not sure when Amartey is due back but you'd think coming back from a hamstring he will be eased back through the ressies.
I doubt very much Mount Buller comes straight in. He was selected yesterday and our next game is a week from today. In the meantime he has to move house from Perth to Sydney. Maybe the Swans have accommodation for him in the short term.
Presumably he flies to Sydney today. All of his teammates are away for the bye, so there's no one to train with until maybe Sunday at the earliest. If he is doing any ruck duties he needs time with the mids and likewise if he plays forward he needs to learn our patterns so he does not get in the way. I can't see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This …
We may have accidentally solved our forward line for years to come.

Amartey. McLean. Logan. Buller.
Jesus keep a lid on it.

This bloke was the LAST pick in a midseason draft. Overlooked for 4 years. He's not going to come in and kick bags a game.

I doubt very much Mount Buller comes straight in. He was selected yesterday and our next game is a week from today. In the meantime he has to move house from Perth to Sydney. Maybe the Swans have accommodation for him in the short term.
Presumably he flies to Sydney today. All of his teammates are away for the bye, so there's no one to train with until maybe Sunday at the earliest. If he is doing any ruck duties he needs time with the mids and likewise if he plays forward he needs to learn our patterns so he does not get in the way. I can't see it.
Mount Buller lol. I'm going to do my best to make that one stick.

This post will come across as whinging but - how come a guy with his physical attributes wasn’t on an AFL list already? Even just a rookie list.

KPP/ruck prospects don’t really grow on trees. Usually being 200cm tall, 100kg and able to run an 8 on the beep test without tripping over your own feet is enough to get a look in.

It suggests some pretty significant shortcomings. Was it just fitness? Seems unlikely it’d just be that - we took Amartey on
Apparently he wasnt applying himself well enough to get drafted until this year. He thought exactly along the lines of what you were just saying, his height and talent would be enough and found out the hard way it wasn't.

KB said he was landing Friday and the team.have a training session on Saturday which both boys will attend. Buller seems like a bit more of a long term prospect. I'd be surprised if he plays at all this season unless our injury crisis gets worse.

Normally I would agree, and I think some people are getting a little ahead of themselves with the hype.

For me it's just practical - McAndrew has the tools but an extended run when he's not physically ready might do more harm than good.

I would by no means expect Buller to come in and do a great job, but we're desperately short of a physically robust second ruck.

I fully agree with your points, there are plenty of arguments against it, but even so I think he's a chance.

Although in terms of accommodation, I assume they've planned for the new recruits to move in with other players. Probably move in with Logan or the Warners. So I doubt that would be a major issue.

You do you …
And I will do me.

After a terminally disappointing 2022 draft, I feel like we have struck gold.
...and he's been out injured recently. Terrific.

"The muscular tall forward has put his best foot forward in 2023, averaging 17.7 disposals, 9.7 marks and two goals per game for the Tigers prior to sustaining a calf injury last month."

He got injured half way through his draft year. Then as with many tall prospects it was thought he needed to improve his fitness level and endurance. He has been very good at WAFL level and played in the WA v SA, game.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #39 Jack Buller

Remove this Banner Ad

Back