Player Watch #39 Jack Buller

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus keep a lid on it.

This bloke was the LAST pick in a midseason draft. Overlooked for 4 years. He's not going to come in and kick bags a game.
Agreed.

He's a bloke that has developed pretty rapidly in the WAFL over the past 2 seasons. He's an imposing physical presence - but whether that converts to success at AFL level remains to be seen.

But .... if the development curve continues, he has to be a decent chance, given his athleticism and strength.

I'd also note: he's a very capable ruck. My gut feel is that he could possibly end up a ruck who can go forward, rather than a forward who can ruck.

Despite our injuries, I think it is unlikely Buller will get a game this year. Unlike Arnold, I think he's been selected with more of an eye on the future. Arnold is much more likely to play, particularly if we don't see Tom McCartin return. (Arnold was the serious needs pick. Someone who can step in and do the job right away if required. But still with a view to the future (else we could have picked someone like Oscar McDonald) - he still has upside and an undefined ceiling.)

I'm enthusiastic about Buller because of his size, his long-recognised talent, and the good reviews given to him by people like Will Schofield. A small extra source of gruntlement is that I am hopeful that if he turns out ok, the go-home factor will be relatively small. My thinking is that he has spent so long biding his time and waiting for this opportunity that he will be grateful and loyal. It has to help at least a tiny bit that not only did the WA clubs look past him every year (just like all the other clubs did too) but also that they did so again last night when they both had the opportunity to grab him before we did.

While I really am enthusiastic (it's hard not to be enthusiastic whenever (a) we get a new draftee; or (b) a player debuts), I also recognise the odds are that Buller never plays 50 games. Possibly he won't play even one. I have to remind myself that he was the last player selected at a mid-season rookie draft and that he had been overlooked year after year for a reason. If he does that play 50 games for us, that will be bloody wonderful!

Can I confirm, it's an 18 month contract they sign right?
6 months

TRIO OF MSD PICKS GET LONGER-TERM DEALS​

THREE of the 13 players taken in Wednesday night's AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft are already contracted for 2024, with West Coast's No.1 pick Ryan Maric among those to have nominated terms for an 18-month contract.

Maric, North Melbourne's Robert Hansen jnr and Hawthorn's Clay Tucker – the first three selections in the mid-year intake – were the only players drafted to have done so after requesting a longer-term deal.

I doubt very much Mount Buller comes straight in. He was selected yesterday and our next game is a week from today. In the meantime he has to move house from Perth to Sydney. Maybe the Swans have accommodation for him in the short term.
Presumably he flies to Sydney today. All of his teammates are away for the bye, so there's no one to train with until maybe Sunday at the earliest. If he is doing any ruck duties he needs time with the mids and likewise if he plays forward he needs to learn our patterns so he does not get in the way. I can't see it.
Thought they only had a 4 day break, Swans should be back in training now.

One interesting thing from his SEN WA interview is he said that his mum already lives in Sydney
I can also tell you he went to Christchurch (same school as Gus, but class of 2017 - so a few years ahead).

I have a relative who taught him there, says “nice kid, good character”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McAndrew has had an extra week rest, Hickey too. Can't see it changing, especially if Sir Dane is back.
Horse doesn't change if he doesn't have to.

It's worth noting Buller played his junior football as a key defender and ruck, so the recruiters might've liked his extra potential as a defender or swingman.
Perhaps they see him as the Reid replacement, much cheaper than either TDK or HH.
If it works out it's a master stroke!

Perhaps they see him as the Reid replacement, much cheaper than either TDK or HH.
If it works out it's a master stroke!
So different to draft night.
We all knew Buller was available, we knew he was the right pick and KB went ahead and picked him. He didn’t reach for some small defender that no one had ever heard of. He didn’t play any games. No clever last minute switcheroos. He just went ahead and did the right thing.

Stroke of genius !!
That my friends is why he gets the big bucks ...

I doubt very much Mount Buller comes straight in. He was selected yesterday and our next game is a week from today. In the meantime he has to move house from Perth to Sydney. Maybe the Swans have accommodation for him in the short term.
Presumably he flies to Sydney today. All of his teammates are away for the bye, so there's no one to train with until maybe Sunday at the earliest. If he is doing any ruck duties he needs time with the mids and likewise if he plays forward he needs to learn our patterns so he does not get in the way. I can't see it.
Patterns you say??

Normally I would agree, and I think some people are getting a little ahead of themselves with the hype.

For me it's just practical - McAndrew has the tools but an extended run when he's not physically ready might do more harm than good.

I would by no means expect Buller to come in and do a great job, but we're desperately short of a physically robust second ruck.

I fully agree with your points, there are plenty of arguments against it, but even so I think he's a chance.

Although in terms of accommodation, I assume they've planned for the new recruits to move in with other players. Probably move in with Logan or the Warners. So I doubt that would be a major issue.
I reckon Stretch was going alright. People forget players in their first half a dozen games are more often than not completely useless.
Logan was. Florent was. Hayward was. etc etc
Stretch is fairly involved at ground level trying to make tackles, and does contest marks in the air. He's going about as well as I'd expect.
Though I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped, I think he might be worth peservering with a bit too, especially in a season we are obviously not going to be much chop in anyways. Get some games into him IMHO.

Buller can be a stalwart in the VFL as fwd/ruck until he starts kicking bags of goals IMO. fwd/ruck is covered more than well by McLean. You'd have to be very optimistic Buller is going to do better than him this year in that role. Might go well as a marking forward only in time.

I reckon Stretch was going alright. People forget players in their first half a dozen games are more often than not completely useless.
Logan was. Florent was. Hayward was. etc etc
Stretch is fairly involved at ground level trying to make tackles, and does contest marks in the air. He's going about as well as I'd expect.
Though I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped, I think he might be worth peservering with a bit too, especially in a season we are obviously not going to be much chop in anyways. Get some games into him IMHO.

Buller can be a stalwart in the VFL as fwd/ruck until he starts kicking bags of goals IMO. fwd/ruck is covered more than well by McLean. You'd have to be very optimistic Buller is going to do better than him this year in that role. Might go well as a marking forward only in time.
Welcome from Portoroz in Slovenia.
One more injury could see Edwards or Buller in Seniors. Buller has been working on his tank but still looks like he has a ways to go.
We might be better off playing smaller or pushing Francis forward.
Let Buller settle in.
Harrison on the other hand looks a lot closer to a potential debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #39 Jack Buller

Remove this Banner Ad

Back