Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

benno87 said:
I guess I was really asking should he come in against Essendon.

I just figured the argument would be 'He and Harding are fighting for one spot'.

I don't think they are fighting for one spot at all. Harding is playing more of a role that Motlop played last two seasons, and Jones to some extent. Medium marking targets - that's how I'd classify all 3. Non of them is really a front and square crumbing forward a la Milne or Betts. Even Shagga is more a marking small forward than front and square.

I reckon there is room for Harvey in the side, but I am not sure if it's this week. I'd ask more from him at VFL level. Sure, he kicked those goals but his body language still looks dodgy to me. No spring in his step, still looks a little bit disinterested to me. Unless I am just imagining it.

I'll answer the 2 questions, cos I reckon they are good ones:

Can he and Harding play in the same forward line? I reckon they can, no worries. They are very different small forwards IMO. Harvey is your conventional crumming type, whilst Harding is more of a small leading forward who takes plenty of grabs. I think they could even compliment each other.

Should Harvey play against Essendon? Well I reckon he should, I've been calling for him to be given a chance for a while now and the timing versus the Bummers is perfect. However, I have high doubts that the JYD thinks the same way. I would be surprised to see him named for North.

He should be played very close to goal if he is, any further up the ground and his tendancy to not pay his man any respect could hurt the side.

I am all for giving players the opportunity, not sure if this will be the best game to try him out or not.

Dont care what anyone says. The leap from VFL to AFL these days is massive. Sure he may have kicked a couple of bags but this by no means proves he's ready to come back into the ones. Let him kick a few more before he gets a game. Also I think Harding plays his best footy away from goals and the his defensive skills inside out F50 are fantastic. Unfair for him to be rated by the amount of goals he kicks IMO.

Contra Mundum said:
Harding has got up off his AFL death bed and has proved me wants to be part of our team - Sharvey is well short of him on commitment

Credit where its due

Sharvey has been good of late and may have seen the writing on the wall

If he keeps this form up he will get a game soon whether Turtle is in the Ones or not.

I know this topic will make some people cringe given the rubbish that was written about him over the last year and a bit.

I know he played well below his potential for a while but I felt he was given ZERO support by the BF supporters given he was down and out with OP and stuggled to get back to peak fitness.

It is great to see him playing like he has recently. He may not be getting the huge bag of 7 goals now and then but he is running hard, tackling, chasing, doing all the hard stuff and I think playing like he is now makes him more valuable then he ever was because even when he is not getting the ball he is doing the 1%ers.

That big 65m torp to start the game was something you don't see that often...

For someone that I once thought was the biggest hack in the AFL and the worst kick for goal in the AFL, Harding I sincerely apoligise and I will not criticise you again.

Remember the days of Junior and Motlop playing together... We all thought Junior was a hack and that his brother was the only one with talent... How a couple of years experience makes such a difference..

I love the way Turlte's fortunes have changed.

Love the way he uses his speed to chase down opponents.

Turtle's set shots on goal have improved .....He always has been an exciting player to watch....The most pleasing thing is that he has made the best of every chance he has been given this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started a thread last season saying that i reckoned we looked better with Turtle in, but even I started to think he might have missed the boat this season.
Very glad to see him turn it around, I believe he is more important than many realise, almost the missing ingredient and the x-factor in our forward line.
Loved that late mark he took.

one word: GUN. great player, look forward to seieng heaps and heaps more games like tonight from him :D

by the way the Live 8 concert is good.. On at the moment... REM playing.. FOX 8 live...

I staying up until I see Bon Jovi play... hopefully he is on around 2am or so..

wakeboardandy said:
Remember the days of Junior and Motlop playing together... We all thought Junior was a hack and that his brother was the only one with talent... How

Did we?

On the thread topic: I can honestly say I've never bagged Leigh on this board. I did doubt his ability to come back from an extended spell of indifferent form, but always hoped he could recapture his best. A vitally important part of our side now.

I was a big fan of his early on however with his terrible kicking I fell right off him and I really was glad to see the back of him. Dean obviously told him this is it and Harding has responded and has been a livewire up forward. Not just kicking a couple of goals but running hard to make position and takes plenty of marks.
I thought we were better off without him but he certainly has proven me wrong. I'm happy to admit I was wrong. His kicking had to improve to be given a place in the team though and so far he has shown that his kicking is a lot better.

His accuracy last year was a tad over 70%, which put him above average for forwards, Lloyds was 75% i think and was one of the highest.

His accuracy is... 62.5% this year. I think when you look for reasons to not like players you will find them, even if they are not there.

I just think we have leant lessons with players like Watt and Harding, we need to be a lot more tollerant of our players. Give them a lot more support and try and not be too negative.

I will take this opportunity to get off Petrie's back. Whatever issues have been troubling him, I hope he overcomes them. I hope he comes good and finds the type of form he showed a few years ago.

He kicked a lot of goals by being on the end of some handballs and running in to goal from within 20 meters. He isn't going to miss those and that's why his percentage looked good last year. When he was having set shots from around 40m he would often put it out on the full or spray it across the front of goals. These kicks don't show up in stats.
I think everyone on this board would agree to some extent that his kicking for goal this year is far better then at any stage of his career. I don't care what stats say. If he was kicking goals from the goal square like he did last year then of course his goal to point ratio goes up.

Hell Wayne Carey has said a number of times that Harding's biggest problem in the past has been his poor kicking for goal . It's not just me saying it, it's a known fact by just about everyone in the football world.

Anyway that seems to be behind him now as he is kicking really well. He's a real livewire and i love watching him play. Adds some much needed zip to the forward half. :cool:

Tas said:
I just think we have leant lessons with players like Watt and Harding, we need to be a lot more tollerant of our players. Give them a lot more support and try and not be too negative.

I will take this opportunity to get off Petrie's back. Whatever issues have been troubling him, I hope he overcomes them. I hope he comes good and finds the type of form he showed a few years ago.

Lessons come & go with inconsistent players. Need to keep doing the team things and improve thier skills. I'm not sold on them yet. A worthy contribution doesn't mean they are off the hook. Keep going and we'll see how things turn out. I'm sure if they can become solid like Brady & Makepeace have over the past few seasons is the time to get off thier backs but until then, these guys mentioned have the jury out on them.

The torp goal, the first quarter snap, the tackling (especially at the first bounce on Hird), the effort, the last quarter mark; he was great.
Loved that he missed a tackle on Solomon and slapped himself on the thigh in disappointment.
Go Turtle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back