Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When Turtle was lining up for his first goal in the last quarter they showed a close-up of his hands around the ball and he looked to be holding the ball with laces out towards the goals, as opposed to his usual 'backwards' technique.

I hope my eyes weren't decieving me, but if he has reverted to a proper method of kicking it might explain his new-found accuracy with set shots.

Anyone else notice this?

MicknArch said:
When Turtle was lining up for his first goal in the last quarter they showed a close-up of his hands around the ball and he looked to be holding the ball with laces out towards the goals, as opposed to his usual 'backwards' technique.

I hope my eyes weren't decieving me, but if he has reverted to a proper method of kicking it might explain his new-found accuracy with set shots.

Anyone else notice this?

Good observation M&A, seemed to be holding the footy a bit flat, but if they go through the centre who cares!

Another thing you may have observed was the 10 marks, a number of them were taken under extreme pressure (and I'm talking EXTREME), something that hasn't been seen by him in the past. Great to see, because our forwards haven't exactly taken a high % of contested grabs this season!!!!

magoo said:
Come on Briedis, surely he has played three solid games in row now.... isn't that consistent?

Yeah, he's certainly getting there. He was pretty good against the Demons. He had a few more touches, but in the Tigers game he infuenced the result a lot more I think.

I didn't think he was that good against the Lions to be honest. Did a couple of nice things.

He really shone in this game. He is capable of producing games of this level of quality and I want to see him do it on a consistent basis.

I agree with everyone that has said his 1%ers have made a difference. If he keeps that up then he will get himself through the tough times where he is not kicking goals. I also like the way Dean has used him on the wing. Excellent coaching.

I was at the Friday training session before the Melbourne game and Turtlte was the last man off the track. Spent a long time after official training working with Bewick on his crumbing and set shots. From memory, didn't miss a set shot from any distance or angle.

Did you also notice that he has been the only player to take a pretty decent bump to the head and NOT sustain a fractured jaw.

Looked pretty darn nasty on the replay but he got straight up and kicked a few goals.

Tough effort that

The Big H said:
I was at the Friday training session before the Melbourne game and Turtlte was the last man off the track. Spent a long time after official training working with Bewick on his crumbing and set shots. From memory, didn't miss a set shot from any distance or angle.

These are the things I want to hear - very pleasing. Was Simmo doing the same? He actually acknowledges that his kicking is poor & yet has made little effort from what I can tell to improve it.

Good on you Hitman Harding!!!!!! Re turning the corner, with 2 good games, all Harding has done has put the indicator on.

He certainly looks good when he's on song.

If he can continue his chasing and tackling it must put a heap of pressure on the opposition backmen. If you know you've got someone with Harding's pace who is prepared to run you down, you'd want to get rid of it as quick as possible.

Simmo can barely walk midweek so he isn't spending any additional time on the track. To make matters worse his foot is juiced up so he probably can't even feel the thing when he is kicking which must make it hard for a bloke who is fairly average by foot in the first place.

I'd like to see him have this week off.

The Big H said:
Simmo can barely walk midweek so he isn't spending any additional time on the track. To make matters worse his foot is juiced up so he probably can't even feel the thing when he is kicking which must make it hard for a bloke who is fairly average by foot in the first place.

Well at least he has the week off coming up.

Probably need his leadership in Freo though

I doubt Simmo would wanna miss Colby's 200th due to his foot problem, given that he's the captain and also given the pain Colby himself has played under for so long.

T'toes

The Big H said:

What's wrong with his foot anyway? I'd give Simmo this week off & bring in Edwardo Sansbury for a bit of an explosion!!!! Kabboooomm!!!!

Devil Fish said:
What's wrong with his foot anyway? I'd give Simmo this week off & bring in Edwardo Sansbury for a bit of an explosion!!!! Kabboooomm!!!!

I rather Simpson play with a peg-leg. Eddie has to spend this year developing his basic skill levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well l posted here last week how good he was and l was impressed again by the way he went at it..If he applies effort he has a lot of upside but the thing with him is l havent seen him crumb yet he has been a marking target l thought he played Shaggas roll last week which allowed Shagga to go in the middle now that Juniors back.
The other thing l noticed was how he now holds the footy laces up not down when he kicks for goal and its more a penetrating kick than a high up and under...im liking a lot of what l see now with him.....that sustained effort is maybe worth as much as 1 million dollars for a bloke like him in AFL over his remaining career theres a lot of motivation there.....screw working for a living....

He was only credited with one tackle but he has turned himself around and the defensive work is fantastic......and when no one else could kick a goal who would think Harding would be the man to....Well done to him and a fantastic defensive game from all 22 players

Yeah he's had a good 3 weeks. I've changed my mind on Harding now and I can see the extra dimension he adds to the forward line. He had a shocker of a set shot which went out of bounds but he was able to bounce back from it.
He just looks as though he could fire at anytime. Must be a headache for opposition coaches. He's just so quick off the mark.
I'm impressed.

Dingster said:
I`m very pleased to see Turtle playing well. We should have won by more today, but the forward structure is making progress with Thommo at FF. Hopefully an end of the three talls for a while.

We need 3 talls :(

We broke down badly again across half forward. 8 goals is not going to win a lot of games, we were very lucky Freo defenders were hitting our forwards on the chest with passes.

Pleased with the team effort but we need to make it easier to kick goals, its going to be hard with just one tall. Against a better team they will zone and crowd Thompson because there are no other tall targets to worry about.

Tas said:

We broke down badly again across half forward. 8 goals is not going to win a lot of games, we were very lucky Freo defenders were hitting our forwards on the chest with passes.

Pleased with the team effort but we need to make it easier to kick goals, its going to be hard with just one tall. Against a better team they will zone and crowd Thompson because there are no other tall targets to worry about.
8 goals?
That's a little unfair Tas. We didn't kick 8 goals because of a poor forward structure. Our boys just couldn't hit the side of a barn today. I thought we were by far the dominate team today and should have won by 10 goals. We just had one of those days where no one could kick straight at goal.

Tas said:

The third tall more than likely would have been Corza or Sav. Given our delivery and their flooding, the ball would have come out easier and we may have lost!

I`m happy for us to play Thommo at FF, a tall CHF (Drew/Hale) and then have Motlop and Jones who play tall complemented with Grant, Harvey and Turtle. It`s a good mix imo that can take a mark, compete when the ball hits the ground and apply pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back