Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dingster said:
The third tall more than likely would have been Corza or Sav. Given our delivery and their flooding, the ball would have come out easier and we may have lost!

I`m happy for us to play Thommo at FF, a tall CHF (Drew/Hale) and then have Motlop and Jones who play tall complemented with Grant, Harvey and Turtle. It`s a good mix imo that can take a mark, compete when the ball hits the ground and apply pressure.

Exactly.

We may have only kicked 8 goals, but the fact that the opposition kicked less indicates the pressure and conditions were not conducive to key forwards.

Well coached...great win.

Angus1 said:
8 goals?
That's a little unfair Tas. We didn't kick 8 goals because of a poor forward structure. Our boys just couldn't hit the side of a barn today. I thought we were by far the dominate team today and should have won by 10 goals. We just had one of those days where no one could kick straight at goal.

We took far too many shots at 50+ or very wide in the pocket, these are low percentage shots, did we not noticed how well Richmond kicked from the same spots against us? That was at TD with no wind.

We couldn't get a lot of corridor shots or close to goal shots because we lack the height to take contested marks that close to goal.

If we have 25 shots a game from the same spots even with no wind the accuracy is not going to improve a whole lot more often than not. It is low percentage for a reason, the shots are a lot harder.

If you are grant, harvey, jones, harding or motlop size and you take a mark 50m out you need to kick it 60-65m effectively, it is much harder to do for smaller players. Grant didn't make the distance from 40m and most of the shots around 50 were pushed wide to try and get the extra distance.

It is a recipe for disaster.

We may not have awesome options as other talls, and I agree do not play Sav or Corza if they are not able to contribute, but we should make some effort pushing Hale and McIntosh up forward more, especially if they are not played in the ruck very much.

We have Picioane and Stevens that has next to no game time, we should look to try some more options to create a few extra goals. The number of times the players look to go long but there are no targets across half forward is the reason we go chip, chip, chip.

speedy said:
Not when collectively the 3 get beat week-in week-out.
The new forward setup with Harding & Moltop back in the team has turned our season around.

We have no answer for CHF ATM. So why play though one?

I agree with Tas, we definitely need a tall CHF. Motlop, Bruno & Co.Jones certainly help as tall leading forwards, but we lack a KP forward who can take contested marks in packs. When the opposition is manning up and the forward line is flooded, we often just have to bomb it long into the corridor at CHF and we often lose possession.

I'm hoping Chad Jones can fill that hole, but haven't seen much of him.

Dingster said:
The third tall more than likely would have been Corza or Sav. Given our delivery and their flooding, the ball would have come out easier and we may have lost!

I`m happy for us to play Thommo at FF, a tall CHF (Drew/Hale) and then have Motlop and Jones who play tall complemented with Grant, Harvey and Turtle. It`s a good mix imo that can take a mark, compete when the ball hits the ground and apply pressure.

I'm not talking about next week, i am looking long-term. We are just making up the numbers this year, where we finish is irrelevant.

Teams flood when you move the ball slowly, we move the ball slowly because we have no tall options across half-forward, it is a catch 22 situation which wont really improve until we have more options.

They can play my great grandmother for all i care across the half-forward, this year is not important.

I agree Turtle and Motlop will be good small forwards for us, it is the half-forward line which is non-existant. If we are not going to play with a half-forward line then we are just going to flood the opposition and we are going to stink like the Swans and their Barry Hall forward line.

I know we do not have he cattle, I just rather see us try some other options before we go down the dark side of flooding football. They tried LeCras but he isn't really working out, it would be worthwhile to try a few more options.

He, along with Archer, has shown the intensity that the rest of the team should be replicating. The good thing is he's used in the middle but is a genuine small forward. I think his confidence is going to improve dramatically and he'll kick the goals needed to stay in the team.

I respect a lot of what you post Tas, but after todays game and what you've posted thats enough, give it a rest mr football, we won a great game of footy against all odds and all you can do is criticize, I say to you ******** off.

Re: That's GOLD moment by Turtle

I'd say that chase and tackle and rewarded FREE for Turtle is 'That's GOLD!' when he nailed from a set shot. No need for Duck to underline it as a 'most important in his career' comment. Harding very well knows that his North days are closing, it's up to him to kick the door open and show he is part of the furniture.

Tas said:
I'm not talking about next week, i am looking long-term. We are just making up the numbers this year, where we finish is irrelevant.

Teams flood when you move the ball slowly, we move the ball slowly because we have no tall options across half-forward, it is a catch 22 situation which wont really improve until we have more options.

It's a credit to JYD to pull us thru to 8-5. You are spot on Tas but some folk here don't want to see it that way. They are rather the 'sook supporters' who will want to carry on when we cop a belting. I think we all see where you are coming from and to have a player like Thommo needing to move to the wing to get a touch says alot about how slow and sometimes indecisive we are about getting some moment happening with any real purpose. I think it's more about how hard the HF Flankers wants to work at the given time.

Bren said:
Another Solid game from Harding today!!! He chased well and got countless tackles!!! WEll done son keep up the good work!! :D
Spot on Bren. Harding has been very good the last month. He, Motlop & LeCras have added significant pressure in our forawrd line with their chasing & harassing. There's no doubt Harding is a better set shot for goal than on the run.

jozeph said:
I respect a lot of what you post Tas, but after todays game and what you've posted thats enough, give it a rest mr football, we won a great game of footy against all odds and all you can do is criticize, I say to you ******** off.

You are one of the typical one-eyed supporters that can see no deficiencies in the side when we win ugly. Our side is far from perfect and can use a lot of improvement if we want to go forwards.

I want us to be able to win a premiership in 3 years time and we are not going to do it with a midget forward line. If you can not see that then it is your problem. I am not going to stop posting so morons do not have to face reality.

We need to build for the future. That is building on the strengths we have and constantly improving the side. If you do not like my posts do not read them, I usually do not bother to read yours.

Tas said:

Are you saying that you`d play a third tall now for the sake of long term planning or that what we are doing for now is fine, but we need to address this as part of long term planning?

I disagree with the second point. When we played Sav, Thommo and Petrie/Corza, we still went via the Dandenongs. Unless you meant getting back to the three viable talls...

Dingster said:
When we played Sav, Thommo and Petrie/Corza, we still went via the Dandenongs. ..
Yep, regardless of who plays up forward, this poseesion type of game plan is what Laidley wants us to play. It then probably makes more sense to have a mobile forward line who can at least chase opponents when rebounding out of our forward line & put pressure on them forcing turn-overs. Laidleys game plan has looked much better with Harding, Motlop & Le Cras up forward. It's no good bombing the ball to Sav, Thommo, Corey or Hale. None can really take a pack mark - they all need to be running at the ball & if we move the ball as slow as we do - there is no space for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jozeph said:

very harsh jo... like what u write but this is not you best work

tas has a point... we can keep winning all we want but unless we find someone who can take a contested grab at CHF we are gonna continue to struggle to beat the better sides.

Hamish in the goal square with thommo playing the duck role 30m out could work... he can kick them from 55 no worries, especially at the dome.

Tas said:
I want us to be able to win a premiership in 3 years time and we are not going to do it with a midget forward line.
I agree, but the guys earmarked (McIntosh, Jones, Shore, Moran etc.) as potential KP forwards are not seen to be ready by the match committee... and asides from McIntosh none of those players mentioned look like getting a gig at the moment. I'm still trying to work out how Hale is being used...

We are blessed with a good bunch of flankers (CJ, Junior, Shagga, Bruno, Turtle etc.) so we are playing to our strengths. Until we have someone who deserves a spot in the 1's I think this is the best setup to go with.

Shane Harvey has kicked 13 goals in 3 games including 7 against Coburg in a match winning effort.

Should he come in against his old side and rustle some feathers?

Harding has got up off his AFL death bed and has proved me wants to be part of our team - Sharvey is well short of him on commitment

Contra Mundum said:
Harding has got up off his AFL death bed and has proved me wants to be part of our team - Sharvey is well short of him on commitment
Harvey 13 goals in three games? Looks well on the way to turning his career around also.

Benno87 why have you got the thread titled 'Can Shane Harvey and Leigh Harding play in the same F50?' and the poll titled 'Should Shane Harvey be an inclusion against Essendon?.
These are really two separate questions. Yes they can play in the same F50 but no, he should not come in against Essendon.

I see no reason why they cant be in the same side and it might work out that if for example 1 of the midfielders get tired they can swap with 1 of those guys.What a good time to bring him in he is in form and is runnin hot u just never know might kick a few and never look back.

benno87 said:
Harvey 13 goals in three games? Looks well on the way to turning his career around also.

Good point I suppose - guess I am a bit anti-Sharvey seeing some of his p-i-s-s poor efforts for the borough

sross said:
Benno87 why have you got the thread titled 'Can Shane Harvey and Leigh Harding play in the same F50?' and the poll titled 'Should Shane Harvey be an inclusion against Essendon?.
These are really two separate questions. Yes they can play in the same F50 but no, he should not come in against Essendon.

yeah Benno87, what's going on ? Shinboners may have to suspend your 'poll licence'.

I doubt JYD pays much attention to what ideas we come up with although I like the idea as it has merit for my front & square rationale.

Leigh Harding turned himself around.

Jezza Clayton never got the opportunity and doesn't sit right with me to be honest.

From the accounts these last few weeks have been a big improvement and it would be a shame not to give him one last go.

Waste of time having him on the list at all if you didn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back