3AW naming St Kilda over a alleged assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone actually clarify who claimed it was St. Kilda players involved?

During the portion of radio i heard in the car, they went to great lengths to not mention any such details.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Neil Mitchell and the witness "Elizabeth", both definitely made it clear that the incident happened quite recently, certainly after the Milne/Montagna case was finished.

i don't think there were any witnesses, the victim just told her group of friends, and two of her friends in the group rang up the radio station. So basically it's 1 vs 5.

Can someone actually clarify who claimed it was St. Kilda players involved?

During the portion of radio i heard in the car, they went to great lengths to not mention any such details.

Its St Kilda. Already on the news.

Originally posted by Korn
i don't think there were any witnesses, the victim just told her group of friends, and two of her friends in the group rang up the radio station. So basically it's 1 vs 5.

I don't know if there are any eye-witnesses, but yes, none of her immediate group of friends actually saw it.

Doesn't mean no one else saw it.

mitchell was the obne that named St Kilda towards the end of his show. He said that they have rang the club and the club asked not to be named.

If this goes further the ramifications will be huge. I would expect sponsors to walk and the AFL to take a stand.

If it does involve St Kilda it will do a lot of damage to their brand as it will futher re-inforce the 'culture' in people's mind.

Originally posted by The Phat Side
Mitchell first named them. They have been subsequently named on other stations.

Thanks.

Wonder why he changed his approach, given that at 10.30am, he vehemently refused to name the club, the date which it allegedly happened, or even the venue.

Originally posted by morgoth

If it does involve St Kilda it will do a lot of damage to their brand as it will futher re-inforce the 'culture' in people's mind.

Perhaps, although the Milne/Montagna thing didn't exactly damage them, rightly or wrongly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks.

Wonder why he changed his approach, given that at 10.30am, he vehemently refused to name the club, the date which it allegedly happened, or even the venue.

Lawyers told him it was OK. Portsea pub was the venue. Said when they rang the saints, they told 3 AW to name them as the club "at their peril". Mitchell got mileage out of that.

We can all guess the most likely suspect(s).

Originally posted by hotpie
Yes it did.

How so?

In the minds of football fans it may have, but in general, i've not noticed any animosity towards St. Kilda since the incident.

Originally posted by morgoth
The discrediting of the story. Just like last time.

Do I do that last time? No, that case went to the police, at least I respect those women for doing that(I'm not disrespecting them now, I wasn't there so I don't know what happened).

I certainly can understand as a woman why she would not go to the police.

Its humiliating and degrading to be r*ped,but to have a football club slur your name in the media as happened with the Milne/Montagne affair would be worse.

The story is she is too scared to come forward cos of all the publicity from the last case and the fact it is very hard to proove her claim.

Plausible given the media circus that will develop.

Originally posted by ruth
I certainly can understand as a woman why she would not go to the police.

Its humiliating and degrading to be r*ped,but to have a football club slur your name in the media as happened with the Milne/Montagne affair would be worse.

So you ring 3aw instead.

How so?

In the minds of football fans it may have, but in general, i've not noticed any animosity towards St. Kilda since the incident.

You will recall the sponsors took a "wait and see" approach last time. If it turns out that a player/players are named and it is confirmed it is the Saints again, the sponsors won't be queing up next year even if the player/players involved are cleared. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Look at the Caterbury Bulldogs, players found not guilty but the club lost $1.3 million in sponsorship.

Remove this Banner Ad

3AW naming St Kilda over a alleged assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Back