3rd ODI: Australia v Sri Lanka @ Brisbane (Sun D/N)

Remove this Banner Ad

Starc will be a Star :D

Very good game, had that ball swinging in more than jonno ever will

I think people are getting a bit excited about Starc. Yes, he has some great potential, and on this particular day, it was realised, but from what I've seen, Starc is also capable of serving up some absolute tripe. He seriously lacks consistency, and I really doubt he's ready to step up to the international scene.

Starc, through injury, has gotten a couple of tastes of international cricket, and in his second go out, he showed us what he's capable of. Now he needs to go back to FC cricket, get stronger, work on strengthening his action, develop some consistency, and with any luck, break into the side on a more permanent basis in a couple of years' time.

I think people are getting a bit excited about Starc. Yes, he has some great potential, and on this particular day, it was realised, but from what I've seen, Starc is also capable of serving up some absolute tripe. He seriously lacks consistency, and I really doubt he's ready to step up to the international scene.

Starc, through injury, has gotten a couple of tastes of international cricket, and in his second go out, he showed us what he's capable of. Now he needs to go back to FC cricket, get stronger, work on strengthening his action, develop some consistency, and with any luck, break into the side on a more permanent basis in a couple of years' time.
Who is disputing any of that?

He's 20 y/o, is 6'5", can get great bounce (see his second wicket), can generate movement into the batsman, and he's hit speeds of 145 kph. He's raw, he can bowl pies and he's inconsistent, but he is TWENTY. What bowler doesn't struggle with consistency at his age? No one is saying that he'll be leading our attack come next years WC, he probably won't even be in the squad (he'd probably be in mine though), but here's a guy with huge potential. He's an outstanding prospect and give him 2 or 3 years to get stronger and develop greater consistency, he'll likely be an outstanding fast bowler for this country. :thumbsu:

Who is disputing any of that?

He's 20 y/o, is 6'5", can get great bounce (see his second wicket), can generate movement into the batsman, and he's hit speeds of 145 kph. He's raw, he can bowl pies and he's inconsistent, but he is TWENTY. What bowler doesn't struggle with consistency at his age? No one is saying that he'll be leading our attack come next years WC, he probably won't even be in the squad (he'd probably be in mine though), but here's a guy with huge potential. He's an outstanding prospect and give him 2 or 3 years to get stronger and develop greater consistency, he'll likely be an outstanding fast bowler for this country. :thumbsu:

Yeah.... but I'm just saying, he's far, far from a guarantee. Most people who've watched NSW play know that he can be destructive, but he's even more inconsistent than Mitch. Which is fine, he is only 20, but he could well disappear, never to be heard from again, after this. We shall see.

By the way, was anybody else watching him today and thinking what an awesome CHF he might have been?

Starc and McKay should both be dropped. Clearly not following instruction. How is Clarke expected to set fields if they both bowl full and straight?

I thought Watson's bowling was outstanding also. His performance with the ball has been largely forgotten but he bowled a good length, tight, swung and cut the ball and built the pressure.

See, this sort of attitude is absolutely ridiculous. In case you hadn't noticed, different players play different roles. Clarke has always been the accumulator. He is a high run scorer who rotates the strike and sets up innings. For a number 3/4, going at 4.8 runs per over is actually fantastic. It's the players down the order, the big hitters, that trade in average for strike rate.

Clarke typically bats after the opening power plays, but before the final charge. His scores mainly come in those slow middle orders, so to keep his scoring rate nudging 5 an over is actually a very good performance. How often do you see teams going at 5 an over through those periods? It's rare, I can tell you.

Different players play different roles, but an individual player needs to have some flexibility in their game. Clarke doesn't. He can't accelerate an innings when he needs to.

This often results in a situation where we are at the 40 over mark, wickets in hand, Clarke is set and he is incapable of scoring a boundary.

Different players play different roles, but an individual player needs to have some flexibility in their game. Clarke doesn't. He can't accelerate an innings when he needs to.

This often results in a situation where we are at the 40 over mark, wickets in hand, Clarke is set and he is incapable of scoring a boundary.

Summed it up perfectly.

I understand there is a need to consolidate throughout the middle overs, that's fine and it's Clarke's preferred situation, no doubt, but any top order ODI batsman can do this.
Players like Watson, Ponting, Hussey, White etc etc have 2 gears, Clarke only has one which at times can be a detriment to the side.

Summed it up perfectly.

I understand there is a need to consolidate throughout the middle overs, that's fine and it's Clarke's preferred situation, no doubt, but any top order ODI batsman can do this.
Players like Watson, Ponting, Hussey, White etc etc have 2 gears, Clarke only has one which at times can be a detriment to the side.
Clarke, not Hussey, was the one scoring at a good clip during their partnership last night.

Summed it up perfectly.

Today's game was null and void so no one gets put down...or up, as you have chosen to do.
This year Clarke's strike rate is 77 or 4.6 runs per over. He has played against Pak, WI, England, NZ, Ire & 1 game against India where he batted for half the innings at 4.8 runs per over in a game where we only lost 3 wickets and the Indians got there easily.Thank god for White...

In 2010 65 international players had an average greater than 30. Of those, 38 had a better strike rate than Clarke who ranked 6th for Aust.

Clarke has had a couple of good digs in the last 12 months but a lot of his runs come to the detriment of the side or when the game is over/has little meaning.

He simply doesn't do enough for the side in the limited overs format.

Ironic wasn't it.

trollface.gif

?

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd ODI: Australia v Sri Lanka @ Brisbane (Sun D/N)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back