Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

Really rate Gawn. Super glad we have Grundy, I think he fits our character and game style better.

Agree. But Gawn's a club captain and it would be hard for him to come into another club and just be a regular senior player, as with Brodie. Gawn would be one of my favourite non-Swans and an absolute star who's legacy will be greater than Brodie's you'd have to think. Although if Brodie can get three flags with us then we might revisit that....

King slams Grundy's last 6 weeks. While I don't agree with him regarding the goals and intercept marks, I think he is right that our decline is due to Grundy's own decline in form in comparison with his first half of the season. His ability to get our midfielders first use of the ball was instrumental in our ability to score quickly and heavily, and now that we don't have that our defensive structures at the centre bounces have been revealed yet again. Plus his ability to win contested ball like an extra inside mid was top-notch earlier but not so much lately.

I hope he can recapture his early season form but it feels like he's playing hampered with soreness or injury.

In the first half Bryan and Draper were doing as they pleased and Grundy looked shot. Much better second half but I’m not convinced he’s 100% fit

Coincidentally I spotted Ladhams in the AFL insta stories. Strange choice to take as the travelling emergency unless Grundy was in some sort of doubt?

In the first half Bryan and Draper were doing as they pleased and Grundy looked shot. Much better second half but I’m not convinced he’s 100% fit

Coincidentally I spotted Ladhams in the AFL insta stories. Strange choice to take as the travelling emergency unless Grundy was in some sort of doubt?

Draper is really underated would love him in our side he got the measure of Grundy in our first game as well just to mobile and Althetic.

Agree he should be rested. That gives him two weeks off which would be essentially a three week break. Get him fresh for the finals so we can win the first two instead of taking the long route to the grand final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree he should be rested. That gives him two weeks off which would be essentially a three week break. Get him fresh for the finals so we can win the first two instead of taking the long route to the grand final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. No player needs a rest more than Grundy right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The funny thing is that he didn't have the absolute worst game because his HOTA numbers were very good i just think they sat him in the last quarter to give him some rest as the game was done. His disposal use was also alot better, just let Draper have 1-2 notable times out of the air in the forward 50.

Even if Grundy is not injured. His body could still be tired and be heavy in the legs after a long season. Does not seem to be moving around the ground as well as earlier in the season.

I doubt they will rest him next week. Though I think he would benefit from an extra weeks rest before finals.

Feel like your looking at the wrong stats if you think he has dropped off that low. Still had 9 HOTA at 45% which is well above league average, Yes he has dropped from top 2-3 ruckman in the comp to probably like 6th or 7th but he is still easily AFL quality
Watching live he isn’t doing the defensive stuff either

He needs to take more marks around the ground to

Watching live he isn’t doing the defensive stuff either

He needs to take more marks around the ground to
So you want him to have 6 marks 6 tackles and be doing that from the bench? He played 64% TOG, only had 40 odd Ruck contests when he usually has like 70 or so and played against a double ruck

So you want him to have 6 marks 6 tackles and be doing that from the bench? He played 64% TOG, only had 40 odd Ruck contests when he usually has like 70 or so and played against a double ruck
He is getting towelled and exposed mate

Watch last week and this week

Watch the game

I don’t care about the stats

Only 64% game time last night (lowest outside the sub in/out).(Next lowest was Amartey 74%).

There was one occasion just outside the centre square (3rd qtr ?) where there had been two ball ups in succession and when a 3rd occurred he called in McLean from 20plus metres away and Grundy headed to the I/C.

He's been down on form of late but this was clearly his lowest tog for the season and his worst game.

I saw Heeney had the flu during the week.
Grundy played like a bloke without energy and I wonder if he too had a bout of the flu and coupled with a long season and general body wear and tear lead to his ineffectiveness.

Yep sounds like a excuse, but his lack of competitiveness and low tog, were out of character.

My 2c is he's carrying an injury that's impacting his ability at ground level, possibly a knee injury.

A player doesn't just go from being a ruck that doubles as a midfielder when the ball hits the deck, to one that no longer has that impact, just through laziness. Grundy certianly doesn't strike me as that type.

I think he's carrying something that doesn't allow him to move as freely as he did early in the season, or at least not without pain / discomfort.

The limited TOG against Esseondon was a case of. We need to win a game to secure a top 2 spot, therefore we need Grundy, but we'll limit his exposure.

I also think the Ladhams inclusion against Port was a trial to see if he could relieve Grundy for a week or so, but we all know how that turned out.

If my theory is correct I'd expect Grundy to have the week off against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back