Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dustin Martin and the Gold Coast Suns have begun negotiations about a playing contract for 2025.
The Richmond legend, who made an emotional farewell to the Tigers’ faithful at the end of the home-and-away season, is eager to continue his career under former coach Damien Hardwick.
Dustin Martin played his final AFL match against the Kangaroos on July 30.

Dustin Martin played his final AFL match against the Kangaroos on July 30.Credit:Getty
Two sources close to Martin, who could not speak publicly due to the private nature of the negotiations, said the Suns and Martin had initially discussed a two-year contract earlier this season.
When asked about the situation, Gold Coast football boss Wayne Campbell told this masthead: “We can confirm that Dustin has had a conversation with the club and we will both be engaging in further conversations to work out whether it’s a good fit for the Gold Coast Suns and for Dustin.”

Related Article​

g

Analysis​

AFL 2024

Without Dusty, Tigers would not have that glorious treble of flags

Martin’s management has also been contacted by this masthead.
The triple premiership player and Norm Smith medallist played his 300th game in front of a massive crowd of more than 90,000 at the MCG and whipped the Tiger army into a frenzy by a vintage Dusty special: a long-range goal on the burst.
“It was the best. It was old school. I loved it and I loved the crowd so much. I love this club more than anything and thank you again,” Martin said after that match.
More to come

This was written by the same paper that has been wrong RE a move to GC since 2020?

This would put Dusty right in the spotlight which he hates. It just doesn't make sense.
That's how I feel, why would he bother for the low pay he will get, especially as the Suns still look a way from playing finals yet alone playing for flags?

Actually wouldn't mind seeing him again. I feel we would cheer him if he played against us. Probably the only player in history where that would happen.

Although, he is not the answer to GC rise.. If anything, it sounds like Dimma wants him around mainly for his work ethic to teach their youngsters. That's the value.

Also, nothing's official yet.

so the rules were tweaked post the Hodge move to tighten the loophole for players to now still be able to just unretire themselves before list lodgement and move anyway?

That can't be right?

Ill actually believe it when i see it, but honestly i dont think id care too much

hes well and truly cooked and would only be there as a mentor type thing

I think most of us know that Dusty is cooked. In his last game against the dogs, he could barely kick 40m. Even if he could return to 100% fitness, he is at that age when injuries are more common, and recovery takes longer. I wanted Dusty to continue for another year to help with the transition to the younger playing group. Maybe play 2 out of every 3 games. But he would have minimal impact.

If he does go to GCS, this would put even more pressure on Dimma and his toys, as members will expect 2020 Dusty and that simply won't happen. I can see Dusty breaking down and the whole episode of moving (if it happens) would be a disaster for him personally, his legacy and the Suns in general.

Again, this could be rumors, and if it is - shame on the media. Leave him be. But if it does happen - good luck to him - he will need it, and thanks again Dimma - you can pull all the champions from Tigerland, but it will never be Tigerland. Just an expensive toybox that will never win a flag in my lifetime.

Dusty should ride off into the sunset as a champion Tiger for life. No need to tarnish that by going to a plastic club that will never amount to anything....

Initially i was in the camp of "Good on him" he has given me the best football memories of my life and will be forever my favourite tiger, he gave us everything and owes us nothing.

But to have all the carry on and the attention of essentially 2 farewells, and a tonne of merch on the back of them, to now turn around and keep on playing somewhere else leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back