AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Zaka MkII. 200+ games as a spud on auto select every week.
I’ve been critical of Zaka many times in the past but he had the potential to be a fantastic role player in a premiership side, he just never had the cattle around him. If Langford could get to Zaka’s level I’d take it tbh

Can't wait to watch the big fella run around in the red and black again, doesn't deserve the flak he cops IMO.

Only tall mid (not that we have a bunch to choose from tbf) we have that has an elite kick, need to force the play through him more.

Break out time Langers.
He's not a natural mid though which has been the problem with his development. He's strengths which are good hands and a nice kick should be used at half forward, leading up to a wing to offer a target when we are bringing the ball out from defence. He can then hit targets inside 50, or kick the goal himself if hes close enough. I really hope the new coaching staff play to his strengths and stop trying to force him to be Nat Fyfe.

He's not a natural mid though which has been the problem with his development. He's strengths which are good hands and a nice kick should be used at half forward, leading up to a wing to offer a target when we are bringing the ball out from defence. He can then hit targets inside 50, or kick the goal himself if hes close enough. I really hope the new coaching staff play to his strengths and stop trying to force him to be Nat Fyfe.

Kelly mentioned him as a forwrd so I can see him spending a bit more time as that roaming high HF, agree that could suit his game style, his kicking inside 50 needs to be utilised when he's in the team.

I've generally thought his best work has come as essentially an outside type or winger.

I may or may not be alone on this and he probably hasn't started and stayed forward enough, but in games where he has, I think he struggles to get involved.

Langers looks much better forward imo when he rotates in, where he can either sneak into space before anyone's realised or get a lopsided match-up and make the most of his height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford was very good against West Coast.

He seemed to be a lot stronger over the ball. He actually looks a lot bigger through the shoulders and isn't pear shaped anymore.

It's a pre-season match so the biggest question mark, being the way he stands up to premiership season intensity, is still unanswered but he can only play the game on its merits.

If he converts that as something like a baseline game (even without the 2 goals and only 20 possessions) to the regular season the critics will be silenced.

Last edited:

He seemed to be a lot stronger over the ball. He actually looks a lot bigger through the shoulders and isn't pear shaped anymore.

It's a pre-season match so the biggest question mark, being the way he stands up to premiership season intensity, is still unanswered but he can only play the game on its merits.

If he convert that as something like a baseline game (even without the 2 goals and only 20 possessions) to the regular season and the critics will be silenced.

Think part of it was he was allowed to play the wing all game so he was able to just play one side of he ground. Seemed to be comfortable not having to be at every contest and just being bale to work up and down the ground.

If he convert that as something like a baseline game (even without the 2 goals and only 20 possessions) to the regular season and the critics will be silenced.
The arse was definitely less Watsonesque. For some reason I have always hoped he would make it and I still see a lot of good signs.

Self belief (or lack of) has a bigger effect on the output of some players than others and I sense Kyle is one who needs to see the evidence that he can dominate before he can actually dominate. Maybe enough glimpses have stacked up in his mind.

What stood out to me from Langford was that he was unusually clean and didn't fumble. He also was strong when he stood over the ball to grab it. I'd have to see a lot more of that before I really buy in to Langford's stock. The game itself was very good from him. I am a believer of his forward half craft though - he kicks straight reliably and he's not a bad mark, also can deliver the ball properly into the forward 50.

My plan for him was always try him at half forward since I don't think he's really a midfielder.

What stood out to me from Langford was that he was unusually clean and didn't fumble. He also was strong when he stood over the ball to grab it. I'd have to see a lot more of that before I really buy in to Langford's stock. The game itself was very good from him. I am a believer of his forward half craft though - he kicks straight reliably and he's not a bad mark, also can deliver the ball properly into the forward 50.

My plan for him was always try him at half forward since I don't think he's really a midfielder.
HFF/Wing has been where i've wanted him.

Close enough to goal to make himself an option as a marking option, or in enough space to be the one kicking it inside 50.
His disposal is excellent. This inside mid rubbish is typical essendon. Ignore his strengths. Make him paper over the cracks. Let him cop the criticism and drop him when he doesn't fill the need.

Watching him play was a bit strange. He was fairly strong in the contest, clean by hands + below the knees and made the right decisions. Also looks a lot fitter.

It was so far away from what we usually see from him that I'm almost taking this game to be an outlier. I need more evidence.

Watching him play was a bit strange. He was fairly strong in the contest, clean by hands + below the knees and made the right decisions. Also looks a lot fitter.

It was so far away from what we usually see from him that I'm almost taking this game to be an outlier. I need more evidence.
He has definitely had these games before but i think his progression stalled last year when he was expected to be more of an inside mid for us. If he is left at half forward/ wing he should thrive, and im pretty sure the coaches have already come to this conclusion.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Back