AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He has definitely had these games before but i think his progression stalled last year when he was expected to be more of an inside mid for us. If he is left at half forward/ wing he should thrive, and im pretty sure the coaches have already come to this conclusion.
I mean he's had good games before, but I don't recall seeing him look this clean and strong at AFL level for longer than a quarter unless he exclusively played in the forward line. Even his movements (at least in the first 3 quarters) didn't look like the usual 'laconic Langford' movements. I think it may be because of his fitness levels.

I'm hoping the coaches swap him and McGrath. McGrath as an inside mid and Langford on the wing/HF. Langford's a good kick, so I'd like for him to delivery the ball inside 50 more often.

Could this year be the Langford/Laverde double we've all been waiting for? I hope so. Not expecting a brownlow, but if they can at least cement themselves as a solid best 22 player, then that'll help us.

Langford looks like a genuine AFL footballer whenever he's allowed to play more on the outside and as a link-up option and occasional forward threat. An ideal role for him in the 22 is to play 70% on a wing and rotate into the forward line as cover any time Stringer gets a stint in the middle, where we know he can take a clean-grab and more often than not kicks straight (a rare-enough thing in an EFC forward 50).

It seems like forever since we had a genuine wingman in the 22 (it's been used as a parking spot for excess flankers and the occasional ruck-rover in waiting), but it feels like now with Cutler, Ham and Langford we have three blokes who are all genuinely suited to the role and it's exciting to think what that could mean for our ball movement and overall team structure in 2020.

I mean he's had good games before, but I don't recall seeing him look this clean and strong at AFL level for longer than a quarter unless he exclusively played in the forward line. Even his movements (at least in the first 3 quarters) didn't look like the usual 'laconic Langford' movements. I think it may be because of his fitness levels.

I'm hoping the coaches swap him and McGrath. McGrath as an inside mid and Langford on the wing/HF. Langford's a good kick, so I'd like for him to delivery the ball inside 50 more often.

Could this year be the Langford/Laverde double we've all been waiting for? I hope so. Not expecting a brownlow, but if they can at least cement themselves as a solid best 22 player, then that'll help us.
Thats my hope for the both of them as well. Solid best 22. McGrath as purely an inside mid im not so sure yet. He should be able to have an impact inside, outside, back or forward with his versatility.

Langford's clanger handball to McGrath makes the highlights. That's gold. Seriously, Langford is a forward.
Agree. Forward who can maybe play a bit on the wing. He is a straight up and down player.

He's a winger IMO, Most of his goals are when he pushes forward from the middle of the ground, He's a better player than a lot give him credit for and he's still developing.
Yep. He's a 360 degree outside player with good skills, like Ham. You use those players on a wing, like the Hill brothers or Isaac Smith.

Yep. He's a 360 degree outside player with good skills, like Ham. You use those players on a wing, like the Hill brothers or Isaac Smith.

Not sure he’s got the tank to be compared to those two. I like him rotating between HFF and wing as for some reason Langford seems to be exceptional at winning 1v1 contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure he’s got the tank to be compared to those two. I like him rotating between HFF and wing as for some reason Langford seems to be exceptional at winning 1v1 contests.
He seems to run out games well. His main issue is that he doesn't get enough of the pill

Reasonable difference between running out games well and being one of the best runners in the league ala Hill/Smith
I was more talking about the fact they're 360 degree players and run both ways in equal measure as opposed to someone like Zaka

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Back