AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be playing injured. Not that he was ever quick but he has lost any zip and his kicking penetration is gone as well.

I'm hoping the form drop is due to hip concerns.

In the back of my mind I remember a hawthorn mate telling me how the hawks worked out Stringer after he looked unstoppable in 2015 by matching him up with a proper key defender and I wonder if something similar may have happened to Langers.
I think it is 100% right. Clubs can afford to play a proper key defender on him as we do not have decent or experienced KP forwards and Langford ends up being the main man.

it's laughable that a lot of people in other threads are suggesting to trade langford, literally our best forward when healthy. how about we get players to actually support him
Yeah, not trading Langford.

Clearly injured IMO. Stringer's form not helping. Needs an in form 2mp back to take focus off him.

Don't think 2 medium forwards in Stringer and Langford is working esp when we lack a speedy small or 2.

Yeah, not trading Langford.

Clearly injured IMO. Stringer's form not helping. Needs an in form 2mp back to take focus off him.

Don't think 2 medium forwards in Stringer and Langford is working esp when we lack a speedy small or 2.
I think everyone knew we needed an upgrade on 2mp the moment we picked him up. I felt our best shot was to throw the kitchen sink at one rather than via the draft but only when we were ready. Are we ready?

Our forwards are so bad at kicking for goal, and Langford is likely our best, oppo can afford to put a better defender on Langford and play the odds the other Essendon forwards will miss anyhow.

Our season is over and some people are melting hard which manifests as everyone either being sacked, delisted or traded.

I mean some people even want Hird back. :drunk:
Let’s be honest though there’s less than 10 players on our list that are “untouchables”.

Merrett
Ridley
Martin
Durham
Caldwell

Some should be (i.e. Redman) or could be (i.e. Caddy) but the majority of our list could be shopped around. There’ll be few takers and that will be a good lesson learned.

I think everyone knew we needed an upgrade on 2mp the moment we picked him up. I felt our best shot was to throw the kitchen sink at one rather than via the draft but only when we were ready. Are we ready?

Our forwards are so bad at kicking for goal, and Langford is likely our best, oppo can afford to put a better defender on Langford and play the odds the other Essendon forwards will miss anyhow.

Let’s be honest though there’s less than 10 players on our list that are “untouchables”.

Merrett
Ridley
Martin
Durham
Caldwell

Some should be (i.e. Redman) or could be (i.e. Caddy) but the majority of our list could be shopped around. There’ll be few takers and that will be a good lesson learned.
You could even trade Ridley for all I care. Not durable enough.

it's laughable that a lot of people in other threads are suggesting to trade langford, literally our best forward when healthy. how about we get players to actually support him
I do think we should trade one of Langford or Parish, preferably both. Not because they aren't important players, but because they're the only ones with currency. If we don't aggressively regenerate the list before Tassie comes in, we'll be stuffed for years after that.We need to be bold with our list management and think of long term and sustained success.

Langford is 28 next year so he isn't exactly young. If we can turn him into a young KPF, then that's worthwhile.

We'll be fine without him, even if we go backwards at the beginning.

I'm hoping the form drop is due to hip concerns.

In the back of my mind I remember a hawthorn mate telling me how the hawks worked out Stringer after he looked unstoppable in 2015 by matching him up with a proper key defender and I wonder if something similar may have happened to Langers.

They have tried that.

That’s why Draper and Caddy are important. (Or another true FF)

If the oppo’s best KPD is matched up on Langford then his fellow forwards have a huge matchup advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kyle isn't our biggest problem but I would look at letting him drift up the ground more then he does.

Tbh, he has had 1 great year in 10 years.

Yeah, yeah I know out of position etc but I think he needs to be a lot more useful and accountable now. Former top 20 pick...ONE great year and most of this one are his only passes.

Kyle isn't our biggest problem but I would look at letting him drift up the ground more then he does.

Yeah, yeah I know out of position etc but I think he needs to be a lot more useful and accountable now. Former top 20 pick...ONE great year and most of this one are his only passes.

It looked like he had license to roam up the ground more in the Brisbane game, and I thought it was the best he'd played since he'd been injured. He seemed to be moving a lot better.

It looked like he had license to roam up the ground more in the Brisbane game, and I thought it was the best he'd played since he'd been injured. He seemed to be moving a lot better.

There are only a couple of things that we should be taking into next year in terms of positional changes but Langford being more of a floater and having license to get up the ground and find a bit of ball and lose his man working back inside 50 or hitting other targets as a link up man should be one of them.

I like that role for him. it may mean he only kicks high 30s in terms of goals next year but he's be more involved and his assists and score involvements would do a lot for the people around him.

I hope this is his role next season. From our F50 and up to around the wing with occasional movements in and around the D50.

Need to figure out Harrison Jones's position before Langford's. He was effectively the lead up CHF before switching to wing.

He'd be a better lead up option than Langford. Faster, taller and more agile. And having played more footy this year than the previous two years combined, he should be the focus ahead of Langford.

he did it well vs. fremantle as a good blocker, just wish he did it more during the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Back