Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no trouble with him.
Can take a contested mark and keeps pick from having to do ruck duties.

Tbh I watched his highlights and wondered what's the catch? Looks good!

203cm, built, ripping contested mark, physical and has a bit of skill. Looks like he plays with lots of passion too.

We're the most misleading highlights in history or something?
Yep, mate. I live in Adelaide seen him play a bit and he is terrible with the ball. A bit of skill is an exaggeration based on a highlights package.

I just find every one of these threads so comical. Every ****ing player we draft receives 90% comments of what a pick, looks good, could be a steal etc

Most MSD picks don’t make it and this guy was given a chance at AFL level and wasn’t good enough. Our fans live in a permanent state of delusion then in their next assessment wonder why we’re so shit.

Hint - continually recruiting and playing very average players doesn’t help.

Yep, mate. I live in Adelaide seen him play a bit and he is terrible with the ball. A bit of skill is an exaggeration based on a highlights package.

I just find every one of these threads so comical. Every ****ing player we draft receives 90% comments of what a pick, looks good, could be a steal etc

Most MSD picks don’t make it and this guy was given a chance at AFL level and wasn’t good enough. Our fans live in a permanent state of delusion then in their next assessment wonder why we’re so shit.

If you ever need a turd polished, NM Big Footy should always be your first stop.

The video looked good but get your point about it not being necessarily representative.

The clip below are highlights from one game which in my opinion is a more reliable look at a player than a package from a season or even a handful of games. I don't think he's Luke Jackson but I like the look of him, let's hope he does a bit as that forward ruck we have been crying out for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be a bit of a stupid question.
I’m not insinuating it was bad to recruit Sellars, so I hope it doesn’t come that way.
But does the Teakle recruitment leave Sellars to compete more so with the Zuurhar, Taylor, Stephenson maybe even Curtis type? HHF?
Where as Teakle slots in the potential KPF space, where you’d see CCJ, Pink and Comben?

Agree with KC, what's the catch (other than the scathing write ups...)?

The contested marks in his highlight package puts him ahead of CCJ and probably every 2nd KPF banana we've had since BBB (or was that Larkey, when he was 2nd banana to BBB?!).

I don't care what some ITK says after watching him for 12 years in the WAFL... the running goals, set shots from 50, solid kicking action + multiple snippets of great agility for a 203cm ruck puts him ahead of Free. Hell the soft taps to the advantage of his mids puts him ahead of X on occasion.

He's good enough to have played AFL already, kicked one on Goldy, pulls goal celebrations with a bit of spunk about him... what more are we expecting from a 2ND ROUND MID SEASON PICK???

He's one X broken fingernail away from playing.
Time will tell if that highlight package is actually a Luke Jackson deep fake for the ages but I like this pick.

Why did p Adelaide delist him?
I presume some of you on this board play Supercoach, right? Would you like to know who the most reliable Supercoach captain in the game was the last couple of seasons? Was it Nick Daicos, averaging 120 points per game? Marcus Bontempelli, averaging 129 points per game? No. It was 'Brynn Teakle's direct opponent on any given week', averaging a whopping 145 points per game.

And for those of you who aren't big believers in the value of stats, you can have a look at the coaches votes. In every full game Brynn Teakle played #1 ruck for us, literally every single one, his direct opponent topped the coaches votes for the opposition.

And for the most part these were not superstars of the game. Among those games were games against Bailey Williams, Sam Draper, and the long past his best 2023 model Todd Goldstein.

In 27 years of following Port Adelaide, I've literally never once seen any other player continually get his pants pulled down by his opponent as reliably and consistently as Brynn Teakle did.

Might be a bit of a stupid question.
I’m not insinuating it was bad to recruit Sellars, so I hope it doesn’t come that way.
But does the Teakle recruitment leave Sellars to compete more so with the Zuurhar, Taylor, Stephenson maybe even Curtis type? HHF?
Where as Teakle slots in the potential KPF space, where you’d see CCJ, Pink and Comben?
Comben is a key defender. Teakle ruck/forward. Sellers at 193cm is too short for what larkey needs, he's more of a 3rd tall type at best.
Teakle can take the best/2nd best key defender which opens up our meduim types.

I presume some of you on this board play Supercoach, right? Would you like to know who the most reliable Supercoach captain in the game was the last couple of seasons? Was it Nick Daicos, averaging 120 points per game? Marcus Bontempelli, averaging 129 points per game? No. It was 'Brynn Teakle's direct opponent on any given week', averaging a whopping 145 points per game.

And for those of you who aren't big believers in the value of stats, you can have a look at the coaches votes. In every full game Brynn Teakle played #1 ruck for us, literally every single one, his direct opponent topped the coaches votes for the opposition.

In 27 years of following Port Adelaide, I've literally never once seen any other player continually get his pants pulled down by his opponent as reliably and consistently as Brynn Teakle did.
We’re not going to play him as our No 1 Ruck. He will be relief ruck and putting up a contest in the forward line. We’re kind of the opposite of Port who seemed to have had plenty of forwards but no good ruck when Teakle played for you.

We’re not going to play him as our No 1 Ruck. He will be relief ruck and putting up a contest in the forward line. We’re kind of the opposite of Port who seemed to have had plenty of forwards but no good ruck when Teakle played for you.
Well the question was 'why did Port Adelaide delist him', and that's why. If North find some other role for him, more power to them, but he's the worst #1 ruck I've ever seen at AFL level bar none.

Comben is a key defender. Teakle ruck/forward. Sellers at 193cm is too short for what larkey needs, he's more of a 3rd tall type at best.
Teakle can take the best/2nd best key defender which opens up our meduim types.
Yeah, we definitely need the second key forward position filled. I think this will help Sellars and the rest of our midsized forwards flourish.

Getting mixed messages from supporters of the 97ers, some saying he is 'literally the worst' and a few saying he didn't get much of a go at it, broke his collarbone and was unfairly given the arse.

The second round of the MSD is the wildest shot in the dark of any draft pick, so won't lose any sleep if he is a bust.

And for the most part these were not superstars of the game. Among those games were games against Bailey Williams, Sam Draper, and the long past his best 2023 model Todd Goldstein.

I think we'll be looking at more as a forward and few ruck minutes per quarter.

Again only from highlights, but his kicking action looks solid, good marking power and looks to move pretty well for a big unit.

I'd hope for your sake you try to convert him into a forward or something like that. His attitude, effort and physical characteristics are top notch, but as a ruckman he just gave opponent after opponent the literal best game of their careers like nothing i've ever seen.

Getting mixed messages from supporters of the 97ers, some saying he is 'literally the worst' and a few saying he didn't get much of a go at it, broke his collarbone and was unfairly given the arse.

Anyone who argues that his delisting was unfair just doesn't have any real feel for the game or understanding of what was going on when he played. He was way too far down the depth chart in any position he could potentially play. His workrate (combined with one of the dumbest coaches boxes in history) led to him playing a lot more games than he reasonably should have played which might have given some supporters the wrong idea.

Hope he finds a niche for you. He'll give you his absolute best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back