Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the noobermensch clip and stand by what I said. I think there's something there.

Reminds me of early career Rhyce Stanley. Needed a lot of refinement as a player especially as a ruck but had some good physical attributes to work with.
With the experience of a guy like Goldie to mentor him he might be...

Oh. Waite.

Nah, seriously, I'd stick him up forward as a foil for Larkey and who knows, he might snag a few himself while taking the heat off Larkey a bit. If he can take a few bounces as well then Larkey might be able to stay in the forward line. Someone has to play the CCJ role and honestly, nobody else has been able to other than Pink to some extent. And perhaps playing Pink up forward showed the recruitment people that this role had to be filled.

I see this selection as a break glass emergency in case X gets injured. It means Free is on the way out at seasons end. Best case scenario is Brynn plays 18 months of solid VFL football as X remains fit.

Great name, my kids think its hilarious. Anyway, my hope is a bit of buffer break in VFL for Maley and Goad and if something miraculous occurs then yay. Isnt that what 2nd round of MSD is for?
No.

The second round of the MSD is exclusively for club saviours and reincarnations of Wayne Carey. settling for anything else is celebrating how shit we are.

Nothing to do with injuries. He just wasn’t good enough. Hence why they (Port) chased about 100 different ruckman in the offseason.

Not sure why our fans do this to themselves every time. It’s a poor selection, we don’t need to talk up every selection as a masterstroke when 75% of draft picks taken after pick 20 don’t make it.
I don't think I talked him up at all, I definitely didn't say it was a masterstroke, I just said I wasn't upset with the selection. I just think the fact that he spent part of last preseason with Collingwood and that they were also looking at selecting him may suggest he has something to offer at this level.

I don't think I talked him up at all, I definitely didn't say it was a masterstroke, I just said I wasn't upset with the selection. I just think the fact that he spent part of last preseason with Collingwood and that they were also looking at selecting him may suggest he has something to offer at this level.
yet they had no interest in him.

They obviously had some interest in him or he wouldn't have trained with them over pre season.
you literally have port fans saying every single game he played his opponent was best on ground and you're all expecting a good ruckman. it's comical and typical of this board.

we are the worst side of the AFL era for a reason. we continually make stupid decisions like this.

the same people here are positive every time and every single time they're proven wrong.

this forum rarely has any semblance of objectivity and realism when it comes to the decisions we make. the amount of ridiculous contracts we have given to shit footballers keeps growing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you literally have port fans saying every single game he played his opponent was best on ground and you're all expecting a good ruckman. it's comical and typical of this board.

we are the worst side of the AFL era for a reason. we continually make stupid decisions like this.

the same people here are positive every time and every single time they're proven wrong.

this forum rarely has any semblance of objectivity and realism when it comes to the decisions we make. the amount of ridiculous contracts we have given to shit footballers keeps growing.
Oh seriously give it a rest, its the midseason draft. There was nothing decent in it and if there was, we got it with the first pick.

NO ONE THINKS HE’LL BE A STARTING 18 PLAYER.

Why’d we pick him? Because you throw enough darts at a board one will eventually land.

So your advice would've been to skip the pick in order to avoid "giving a ridiculous contract to a shit footballer"?

No. Not permanently, whenever he has played AFL/WAFL/SANFL he spends 80+% in the ruck and only rests forward for small % of games.
Surprised, but leaves open the possibility his best position hasn't been tried yet.

From the highlights i thought his tap worked looked the weakest of his attributes. He'll be fine as a second ruck taking 10%, but didnt look AFL no1 standard. That said he'll learn to use his strength better practicing with X who'll rag doll him if he doesn't.

He is the same age Xerri is/was when he started to show something, maybe his game and development will follow a similar course. If he is 10% better then CCJ that in itself is a win.

Xerri was tearing games apart in the VFL 2/3 years ago, he was just stuck behind Goldy.

I think with Teakle we can probably expect about the same as CCJ imo.

From the small golden town of Northampton home of
Patrick Cripps
Jamie Cripps
Josh Kennedy
Harry Taylor
Paul Haselby
Daniel Chick
Tarkyn Lockyer
Andrew Lockyer

Surprised, but leaves open the possibility his best position hasn't been tried yet.

From the highlights i thought his tap worked looked the weakest of his attributes. He'll be fine as a second ruck taking 10%, but didnt look AFL no1 standard. That said he'll learn to use his strength better practicing with X who'll rag doll him if he doesn't.

I think this actually gives him great upside. It's hard to get a limited tap ruckman to add other strings to their bow. But in this case he has a really interesting mix of height, bulk, agility, kicking depth and well, chutzpah. Statistically he looks like he chalks up a few tackles and finds a bit of the ball.

If we can develop his ruck craft to simply a break even standard, you just never know what he might become.

What do you expect with a second-round pick in the MSD?

Who would you have taken?

I presume some of you on this board play Supercoach, right? Would you like to know who the most reliable Supercoach captain in the game was the last couple of seasons? Was it Nick Daicos, averaging 120 points per game? Marcus Bontempelli, averaging 129 points per game? No. It was 'Brynn Teakle's direct opponent on any given week', averaging a whopping 145 points per game.

And for those of you who aren't big believers in the value of stats, you can have a look at the coaches votes. In every full game Brynn Teakle played #1 ruck for us, literally every single one, his direct opponent topped the coaches votes for the opposition.

And for the most part these were not superstars of the game. Among those games were games against Bailey Williams, Sam Draper, and the long past his best 2023 model Todd Goldstein.

In 27 years of following Port Adelaide, I've literally never once seen any other player continually get his pants pulled down by his opponent as reliably and consistently as Brynn Teakle did.
a startlingly definitive conclusion after .... 6 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back