Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't we also take Free because he was a ruckman tearing it up in the WAFL? Hasn't shown much yet.

Maybe we have higher hopes for Brynn because he's more AFL ready?
Nah I think Free was averaging around 10 touches a game in the WAFL with big hitout numbers, it was an extremely speculative pick up.

Even if Teakle ends up just playing VFL it's a good pick up to take a bit of pressure off Goad & Maley in the VFL.

Nothing to do with injuries. He just wasn’t good enough. Hence why they (Port) chased about 100 different ruckman in the offseason.

Not sure why our fans do this to themselves every time. It’s a poor selection, we don’t need to talk up every selection as a masterstroke when 75% of draft picks taken after pick 20 don’t make it.
"I'm not upset with this selection" is not saying the pick is a masterstroke. With what was available, Teakle fits a mould we simply do not have. A big mature body who can compete forward and give Xerri a rest mid-match when needed.

Well the question was 'why did Port Adelaide delist him', and that's why. If North find some other role for him, more power to them, but he's the worst #1 ruck I've ever seen at AFL level bar none.
You havent seen CCJ ruck have you?

Mid season draft is a long shot, how many decent players pulled from it? Count them on one hand?

Even the MSD number 1 pick is flawed. He cant kick, will get an opportunity. The second pick, Skaife or whatever his name is, he’s a dud too. The key backman, dud. They’re all duds.

Might get lucky might not. Free hit.

Surprised he got another chance SC_Power?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be honest, I’m not surprised because North clearly see what Port saw when we picked him up in similar fashion. And his performance at state level is pretty sound.

Personally I don’t think he’ll be a good enough first ruck. If he’s on 18 months with North and he develops that floating forward 50 ruck, he has the athleticism to make things happen. Port Adelaide / Ken are very reluctant to play two rucks and have Finlayson / Dixon as the forward 50 option so Teakle was always a break glass option.

Also of interest is Brynn’s sister is with Ports AFLW team.

Again, Hope it works for him.

To be honest, I’m not surprised because North clearly see what Port saw when we picked him up in similar fashion. And his performance at state level is pretty sound.

Personally I don’t think he’ll be a good enough first ruck. If he’s on 18 months with North and he develops that floating forward 50 ruck, he has the athleticism to make things happen. Port Adelaide / Ken are very reluctant to play two rucks and have Finlayson / Dixon as the forward 50 option so Teakle was always a break glass option.

No one here genuinely believes he’ll be a world beater. The argument that rucks and big men take time is an understatement. Could he be a late developer? Who knows. But I am not holding my breath.

Might be a bit of a stupid question.
I’m not insinuating it was bad to recruit Sellars, so I hope it doesn’t come that way.
But does the Teakle recruitment leave Sellars to compete more so with the Zuurhar, Taylor, Stephenson maybe even Curtis type? HHF?
Where as Teakle slots in the potential KPF space, where you’d see CCJ, Pink and Comben?
I see Sellers more as the break-glass option if Larkey gets injured. I don't really see him as a complement to Larkey.

Given he is still relatively inexperienced at the level he may still have significant improvement left in him. That would change my view.

As some have touched on, he has exposed AFL form and it is quite horrendous reading. It's only a MSD pick, so whatever, but I would be surprised if he plays any good football for us.

2022, R14 vs Sydney
34% TOG, broke his collarbone

2022, R21 vs Richmond
Teakle 4.3 Player Rating, 73 Supercoach, 12 disposals, 19 hitouts
Nankervis 27.3 Player Rating (BOG), 158 Supercoach, 29 disposals, 44 hitouts, 6 coaches votes

2023, R6 vs West Coast
Teakle 7.2 Player Rating, 85 Supercoach, 14 disposals, 34 hitouts
Bailey J. Williams 17.5 Player Rating (4th highest for him), 133 Supercoach, 21 disposals, 37 hitouts, 7 coaches votes (only 3rd time he has recieved coaches votes)

2023, R7 vs St Kilda
Teakle 6.0 Player Rating, 60 Supercoach, 8 disposals, 18 hitouts
Rowan Marshall 22.3 Player Rating, 159 Supercoach, 2 disposals, 28 hitouts, 6 coaches votes

2023, R8 vs Essendon
Teakle 6.2 Player Rating, 42 Supercoach, 7 disposals, 14 hitouts
Sam Draper 17.6 Player Rating, 110 Supercoach, 16 disposals, 24 hitouts, 3 coaches votes
Andrew Phillips 7.8 Player Rating, 58 Supercoach, 9 disposals, 21 hitouts

2023, R9 vs North Melbourne
Teakle 7.1 Player Rating, 67 Supercoach, 12 disposals, 17 hitouts
Todd Goldstein 22.2 Player Rating (BOG), 171 Supercoach, 24 disposals, 56 hitouts, 2 coaches votes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not his sister, his female cousin albeit, also from WA.

I presume some of you on this board play Supercoach, right? Would you like to know who the most reliable Supercoach captain in the game was the last couple of seasons? Was it Nick Daicos, averaging 120 points per game? Marcus Bontempelli, averaging 129 points per game? No. It was 'Brynn Teakle's direct opponent on any given week', averaging a whopping 145 points per game.

And for those of you who aren't big believers in the value of stats, you can have a look at the coaches votes. In every full game Brynn Teakle played #1 ruck for us, literally every single one, his direct opponent topped the coaches votes for the opposition.

And for the most part these were not superstars of the game. Among those games were games against Bailey Williams, Sam Draper, and the long past his best 2023 model Todd Goldstein.

In 27 years of following Port Adelaide, I've literally never once seen any other player continually get his pants pulled down by his opponent as reliably and consistently as Brynn Teakle did.

When I read this I thought "That sounds like bullshit to me." So I did some investigation. Turns out there is an element of truth and a good dose of hyperbole. Brynn "The Tess" Teakle has played a sum total of 6 AFL matches. He only played 34% of the game in his first, so I have excluded that one. In the remaining 5 games he played it is true that the opposing ruckman registered coaches' votes. In no instance did they top the coaches votes though. The details are below.

Round 6 2023 - WCE - Bailey Williams - 7 votes (21 possessions/37 hitouts)
Round 9 2023 - NM - Todd Goldstein - 2 Votes (24/56)
Round 7 2023 - STK - Rowan Marshall - 6 votes - 926/28) - Brownlow vote
Round 21 2022 - RM - Toby Nankervis - 6 votes - (29/44) - 3 Brownlow votes
Round 8 2023 - ESS - Sam Draper - 3 votes - (16/24)

A few observations. He was in his first handful of games going up against guys with more, sometimes vastly more, experience at the level than he had. He was only drafted in the MSD of 22 so he only had one AFL pre-season in 23. He was on a bit of a hiding to nothing in that situation. Also, ruck is not typically a position where the opposing ruckmen play tight on each other.

Context is important. He is a Round 2 selection in the MSD. If he spends 2.5 years on our list playing solid VFL footy and providing depth and coverage for the AFL team, then that is a pretty good outcome. If he plays more than a dozen senior games, it is outstanding recruiting.

As some have touched on, he has exposed AFL form and it is quite horrendous reading. It's only a MSD pick, so whatever, but I would be surprised if he plays any good football for us.

2022, R14 vs Sydney
34% TOG, broke his collarbone

2022, R21 vs Richmond
Teakle 4.3 Player Rating, 73 Supercoach, 12 disposals, 19 hitouts
Nankervis 27.3 Player Rating (BOG), 158 Supercoach, 29 disposals, 44 hitouts, 6 coaches votes

2023, R6 vs West Coast
Teakle 7.2 Player Rating, 85 Supercoach, 14 disposals, 34 hitouts
Bailey J. Williams 17.5 Player Rating (4th highest for him), 133 Supercoach, 21 disposals, 37 hitouts, 7 coaches votes (only 3rd time he has recieved coaches votes)

2023, R7 vs St Kilda
Teakle 6.0 Player Rating, 60 Supercoach, 8 disposals, 18 hitouts
Rowan Marshall 22.3 Player Rating, 159 Supercoach, 2 disposals, 28 hitouts, 6 coaches votes

2023, R8 vs Essendon
Teakle 6.2 Player Rating, 42 Supercoach, 7 disposals, 14 hitouts
Sam Draper 17.6 Player Rating, 110 Supercoach, 16 disposals, 24 hitouts, 3 coaches votes
Andrew Phillips 7.8 Player Rating, 58 Supercoach, 9 disposals, 21 hitouts

2023, R9 vs North Melbourne
Teakle 7.1 Player Rating, 67 Supercoach, 12 disposals, 17 hitouts
Todd Goldstein 22.2 Player Rating (BOG), 171 Supercoach, 24 disposals, 56 hitouts, 2 coaches votes
If he is getting any games in the seniors it is not going to be as the #1 ruck, as clearly he is not up to it at AFL level. He would only be playing as a 2nd tall forward/relief ruck, if at all. Worst case scenario is that he takes up a list spot playing in the 2's for a year and a half.

Yep, mate. I live in Adelaide seen him play a bit and he is terrible with the ball. A bit of skill is an exaggeration based on a highlights package.

I just find every one of these threads so comical. Every ****ing player we draft receives 90% comments of what a pick, looks good, could be a steal etc

Most MSD picks don’t make it and this guy was given a chance at AFL level and wasn’t good enough. Our fans live in a permanent state of delusion then in their next assessment wonder why we’re so shit.

Hint - continually recruiting and playing very average players doesn’t help.

Most likely we will be sitting here in 3 years and someone will mention the name Teakle and half of us won’t have a clue who they are talking about, as this bloke will be long gone, as he was no where near it.

But do you know what is fun? Pumping up players that get drafted to our club. There is a 1% chance this bloke becomes half decent, and not one person is hanging our hopes on Teakle being the one to turn this mess around. But isn’t it better to pump up the bloke to what he might be, over cracking the sads about what he most likely is. Most of the comments about him have come from a 3 minute video of highlights of his best game at WAFL level. Most have never heard of him before.

Look, I get it. The club has made us all miserable pricks recently, so it’s easy to go the negative route. But im certainly not going to sh*t on supporters that are trying to create a little bit of hope that this bloke isn’t a spud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back