Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

It amuses me greatly how much a journeymen has upset a bunch of people for merely being selected.

It's the continual failure of utilizing these sorts of opportunities (SPP, MSD ect) that is frustrating for me. Picking a player who has failed before at the level isn't all that inspiring.

It would just be nice for once to add a solid contributor through one of these events.

I’m pretty pessimistic by nature but I do get at least a bit hopeful with any new player to the club.

I was giving a thumbs up to trading for Lobb in the other thread, purely based on there being a big hole in that forward/ruck position. So no issue for me on the strategy side.

I wondered watching that WAFL match vid, if in the past Big Test has had a habit of going to ground in Ruck contests? He really looked to be concentrating hard on staying upright for a bit after the ball-up, then once planted with his feet on the ground he’d get moving. Also, I reckon a good half of those taps called as his were actually the other bloke’s.

Having said that I was pretty pleasantly surprised at the other parts of his game. I agree with other posters: his marking was good- got the dukes up nice and high, his kicking looked natural for a big man and his movement and athleticism looked excellent. Best of luck to him for his sake and ours.

It's the continual failure of utilizing these sorts of opportunities (SPP, MSD ect) that is frustrating for me. Picking a player who has failed before at the level isn't all that inspiring.

It would just be nice for once to add a solid contributor through one of these events.
I hear ya,
Solid contributors can mean a hell of a lot of different things thou.
I don't know Teakle but he might be genuinely ripping peoples arms off and beating them with the bloody stamp type of guy if given the second chance, we've got a hell of a lot of really young talent, for what ever reason think its going to just happen. from the outside it appears like they're all going through the motions. Rather than doing something about it, sometimes journeymen give that perspective.

If its to be, its up to me.

I've seen the bloke play. He's a terrible ruckman. The fact that every single one of their fans is telling you he can't ruck and you're optimistic only proves you're blindly supporting the club.

The same club in its current state that is the worst in AFL history, our sustained period of being shit is unparalled because we keep making terrible decisoins like this. Again perfected by the same recruiting idiots who have got us in this position.
Yet you blindly trust them and the decisions they're making?

Says more about you than it does about me.
The same people who wonder why we're so ****ing terrible and then defend the club, the contracts, recruiting and proceed to regularly talk up about our endless stream of shit players.

And in 3 of the 6 games he played last season his opponent got more than 6 coaches votes - considering the fact Port were winning most weeks this is really something. The other game his opponent got 3.

And in terms of the ones he didn't - well Port smashed us and this is what the write up said about Goldstein

Round 9 v Goldstein - this is the write up from somewhere on the match
"Veteran Todd Goldstein was the best big man on the ground with 24 disposals, 11 clearances and a massive 56 hitouts in one of his best games in recent times."
Yep sounds like Teakle did really well. Goldstein got no votes because we got smashed. But he smashed Teakle by any objective measure.

His games last season were quite clearly shit and his opponent clearly had a big influence in all games (except for maybe the Sydney one)

I'll keep being objective and realistic. But if is funny that you're argument consisted of backing up the point that Teakle was regularly beaten and his opponent was regularly one of the best players on the ground.

And again, I don't expect that he's any more than insurance for us as a second round pick in the last chance saloon. If he proves to be more than a back up, then good for him. But the point you seem to be deliberately obtuse about is that we would have no expectation that he's going to even have to compete against these first choice rucks at other clubs unless Xerri gets injured. He will otherwise at most be playing as a forward/ruck and he will be competing against opposition forward/rucks who are giving their own first ruck a chop out.

That you continue to dump on this bloke like everything else to do with the club is on you. We get it. You hate everything to do with the club and you won't be satisfied until every other supporter hates everything as much as you do. It's a strange aim that you seem to have but whatever gets you through the night I suppose.

well, well, well... I see you're a brady apologist.

keep backing up the worst list manager in the history of the afl. keep defending the terrible contracts. the terrible trades. the shit recycled players. none of it is brady's fault.

nothing the club has done and does do is wrong. we're just the shittest club in the history of the afl for no reason.

Something else for you to whinge about, and you're loving it. You live for this negativity.

5Ojx.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who's arguing he should be best on ground?

look at the goalposts. moving...

he's 24 years old and was a mature age recruit the first time he wasn't good enough.
Did you not mention his opponents were best on ground in your rant? Hopefully you are not the motivational speaker down at North

Im not a recruiter.

But someone who failed at AFL level and was proven very inadequate as a ruckman doesn’t appear to be a smart choice.
Mate you could put Adolf Hitler in a North Guernsey and there would be clowns on this forum posting “I don’t mind him.” :stern look

This sounded like hyperbole so I thought I'd take a few minutes to investigate Brynn Teakle's AFL games:

1. Round 14, 2022 vs Sydney. He had 3 kicks, 2 handballs, 1 mark and 9 hitouts. He went off injured in the second quarter. His direct opponent was Peter Ladhams who had 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 1 mark and 23 hitotuts and did not figure in the coaches votes.
  2. Round 21, 2022 vs Richmond. He had 4 kicks, 8 handballs, 1 mark and 19 hitouts. His direct opponent was premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis who had 15 kicks, 14 handballs, 4 marks and 44 hitotuts and got 6 coaches votes.
  3. Round 6, 2023 vs West Coast. He had 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks and 34 hitouts. His direct opponent was Bailey Williams who had 10 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks and 37 hitouts and got 7 coaches votes.
  4. Round 7, 2023 vs StKilda. He had 0 kicks, 8 handballs, 0 marks and 18 hitouts. His direct opponent was Rowan Marshall who had 19 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, and 28 hitouts and got 6 coaches votes.
  5. Round 8, 2023 vs Essendon. He had 2 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks and 14 hitouts. His direct opponent was Sam Draper who had 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks and 24 hitouts and got 3 coaches votes.
  6. Round 9, 2023 vs North Melbourne. He had 8 kicks, 4 handballs, 0 marks, 17 hitouts and kicked a goal. His direct opponent was Todd Goldstein who had 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 marks, and 56 hitouts, but no coaches votes.

So in 6 games, not once was his opponent best on ground despite coming up against some very good players. The most coaches votes any direct opponent ever received was Bailey Williams and going by the stats, he appears to have acquitted himself quite well that day. In fact, statistically, it was his best game.

It's really quite sad that you throw around terms like objectivity and realism when the evidence you present are the ramblings from some nuffies from Port Adelaide. I don't know if this bloke's going to make it as an AFL player or if we have any greater intention for him than to serve as insurance for 18 months but he deserves just a little more credit than having you wipe your arse on his record without even taking the time to glance at it.

His direct opponent had career best games in maybe 3 out of his 6 games. Williams, Marshall and Goldstein destroyed him. Essendon destroyed him too. It was largely overlooked as we won all those games.

Theres something to work with from an athletic point of view, but his football IQ was possibly the worst i’ve seen from someone that played at AFL level and his skills were non existant. Dropped probably 40 marks in his 6 games and his ruckwork was dire.

But, there is something there if he can improve by 25-30%. I hope he does as hes a great guy with a great attitude. Hope he makes it

who's arguing he should be best on ground?

look at the goalposts. moving...

he's 24 years old and was a mature age recruit the first time he wasn't good enough.
Iam not going to guild the Lily here, your likely spot on re his lack of ruck craft. Imo if he can bring a couple of fwd entries to ground he will add value for the rest of the season . Its a low bar but all iam hoping. Otherwise larkey will be cooked. Sometimes you just have to do what you can to preserve what you have.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back